Zoo in DR?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Is there a Zoo anywhere? Only interested if within driving distance of North Coast. Anything in Santiago?
thanks in advance

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Yes there is a Zoo in DR, it is located in the capital (Santo Domingo). Located in Santo Domingo is also the Botanical Gardens and aquarium... of course I have no idea of what the addresses are but somebody here should know.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Yes there is a Zoo in DR, it is located in the capital (Santo Domingo). Located in Santo Domingo is also the Botanical Gardens and aquarium... of course I have no idea of what the addresses are but somebody here should know.

........if you want to call it that...............We went.....you have to park and walk for miles..............and LOOK for any animals that might still be there...........what a joke.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The zoo is actually not that bad. You just want to make sure you ride the train up to the "top" area and walk around from there. Then you can walk downhill back to the entrance area or ride the train back down.

Is it worth a special trip in from outside the capital involving a drive? NO, this is not San Diego.

But if you live in the capital and have children it is a pleasant once every month or two weekend outing. The most frustrating part is that they don't do much to educate the local populace about zoo behavior we take for granted - don't feed the animals, don't throw rocks at the animals, pick up your garbage etc.

I'll put it this way, I was really scared of what I would find first time I went there 8-9 years ago, but it has improved over the years and is pretty good considering it is a third world country. Could it be better? - Absolutely Could it be worse? - Absolutely

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Zoo eh??? I would only go if you run out of activities for the kids. It is dirty, with few animals and sorry to say but Dominicans have no respect for the animals. I once saw people throwing bottles and cigarettes at a gorilla and the poor thing picked up the cigarette and sat there smoking the damn thing?seriously! Only in DR! :nervous:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
That is a real shame!

My last visit to the Santo Domingo Zoo was many years ago, I believe about 12 or 13 years to be honest. It was a great zoo back then, although not comparable to ones in the US or Canada, but still full of animals, clean, and eye pleasing. What a shame it has gone downhill from there. Is it lack of government funding that has brought it to this state?

Marlie

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What Else????

Hard to steal money from the animals!:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
They prefer HUGE Construction project,like the "METRO"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The national zoo is not that bad. Sure, it may not be a top 10 type of place, but its a good place. To me it's similar to the zoo in DC (although I was dissapointed with that zoo, considering its the one that belongs to the capital of the most powerful country on earth, but that's another story. It's been three years since I first went to the DC zoo, so I don't know if things have changed). But all of that is relative.

You want to know what was a real pathetic zoo? Try the Zoologico de Moca!

Ha! There is a place animal activist should check out. For one thing, most of the animals on display you can see in any Dominican campo (chickens, etc). They also had an alligator on a cement pit (pathetic) and a tiger in a frickin cage (pathetic and possibly could be considered animal cruelty).

According to rumors, the Moca Zoo closed, but it's only rumors. Don't know if it's true, but it is/was a real nightmare for both, animals and visitors!

At least many of the animals in the National Zoo in Santo Domingo have space to roam around a little.

As far as I know, the DR had only 2 zoos (the one in SDQ and the one in Moca). Never heard of a zoo in La Vega, might be new if it's true.

-NALs

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
The capital's zoo is not in decline, though the nabe that surrounds it is in terrible shape!, and the animals are not hard to discern, they are right there in front of you. The concept is very like the same that rules the US zoos, and frankly it is fairly well executed. The range of species is surprising for a small zoo, there are lots to see. The grounds are quite pleasant. yes it could be better, but I bet none of you remembers the condition of the Bronx Zoo before its regeneration in the 80s.