Flight 585 5th anniversary.RIP

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I remember that well..I had just returned from SD on American Airlines into the NYC area just 9 days before..That was a freak accident..The tail broke off as the plane was climbing out of JFK...I didn't realize the today is 5 years already...
RIP........

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Disastre

Mi jefe y su asistente murieron en este vuelo, un disastre, triste, horrible.
Por fin van a tener un 'monumento memorial' por todos de ellos. Vallan con Dios mis compadres, Dennis Blair y Sylvie Greleau. Vallen con dios.
:speechles

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I just saw part of the ceremony on the news at 10. What happened was terrible, so many innocent lives lost. May they rest in peace.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
There were so many complete families that were traveling together that perished that day, very very sad :(

Everytime I fly over that area I try really hard not to think about what it must have felt like when that plane went down, its very scary, and also to look down and see that strip of land as you ascend over Queens, NY it brings flashback of that day. When I heard the news rightway I called relatives, to make sure everyone was ok. But what is heart breaking is imagining the people that were waiting at Las Americas for their loved ones and the plane never made it there.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Thanks.

As I said on the other thread, my aunt was a passanger on that plane.

May all of them rest in peace.

A.Hidalgo, also, thanks for remembering.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Does anyone know if there are any monuments to commemorate such tragedy in the DR?

I know there is a small monument in Bani dedicated to those who perished on that flight.

I have not heard of any other monuments erected anywhere else in the DR.

That was a horrible tragedy. The most vivid memory I have of that news was when in the news they kept showing that lady at the Las Americas airport who did not wanted to come to terms that her daughter and grandchildren were on that flight. She even fainted a few times while the news reporters were videotaping her saying "ella no venia en ese avion" over and over again.

Even worse was noticing that many of the people waiting in Las Americas for their family members were well dressed with the ladies having nicely done hair and such. They must have been so happy with the expectation that they will see their beloved family members, only to be told such tragic news.

Horrible tragedy. :cry:

-NALs

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Does anyone know if there are any monuments to commemorate such tragedy in the DR?

I know there is a small monument in Bani dedicated to those who perished on that flight.

I have not heard of any other monuments erected anywhere else in the DR.

That was a horrible tragedy. The most vivid memory I have of that news was when in the news they kept showing that lady at the Las Americas airport who did not wanted to come to terms that her daughter and grandchildren were on that flight. She even fainted a few times while the news reporters were videotaping her saying "ella no venia en ese avion" over and over again.

Even worse was noticing that many of the people waiting in Las Americas for their family members were well dressed with the ladies having nicely done hair and such. They must have been so happy with the expectation that they will see their beloved family members, only to be told such tragic news.

Horrible tragedy. :cry:

-NALs

There is a park/monument in Bani called "Vuelo 587"'

See page 2

Rinden tributo a v?ctimas del Vuelo 587 : Inauguran un monumento en su memoria... - Titulares

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
The NY Times article (link noted above) provides the location and a side picture of the monument wall that lists the names of all those who lost their lives on this flight. The wall is in Far Rockaway.

franco-da-chef

Oct 5, 2006
Mi Gente

I lost an aunt and three cousins on that flight....
RIP:Mercedes,Miguelito Glenda y John Guzman...
I will always love them, always!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Yes in memory of

I knew one of the flight attendants on this flight. Wilmer was his first name. He was a true gentleman and a friend I will surely miss.