Question regarding U.S. citizenship for wife

newman4ever

Mar 11, 2004
I am a U.S. citizen and a Dominican Resident. I maintain a U.S. address, but live here in the D.R. primarily. My wife is a Dominican. We've been married for 2 years and have a child together, who is a U.S. citizen. He was born here, but we filed the form for Birth Abroad and it was approved.

My wife has a valid travel visa, so no problems going to the U.S., but I want to start paperwork to make her a U.S. citizen in case we need to relocate back to the U.S.

What would be the best way to go about this?

One other concern, if we begin paperwork to make her a U.S. citizen, will this have any impact on the validity of her travel visa while waiting for approval?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
you wife have to get a green card first, them have to be 3 year ( after green card is obtaining) marry with you to apply for citizenship, all those years have to be living in the States and filling income tax together. Only children of americans citizens can obtain their citizenship that easy; the rest, husbands, wifes, parents, etc have to go through the inmigrations laws . Travel visa do not count.The rule by now is, first you become a resident then a citizen.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Her travel visa will still be valid, but considering she has started a procedure to obtain an inmigration visa the inmigration officer can authorize her entry or not at the US POE.

Jess

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It sounds like you are trying to obtain Citizenship without first obtaining residency. I'm not sure if that can be done. You probably should contact an US Immigration Lawyer.

I realize you've posted this in the legal forum, but the lawyers in this forum are versed in Dominican Law, not US.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought a person could have only one visa. A person can have a travel visa and apply for residency at the same time?