Dominicans rule

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
No joking matter. My mother owns a bodega in the Bronx. There are 5 other bodegas around hers and the owners are ALL Dominicans.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Ask and you shall receive.

how sweet thanks, I'll make a list of the things I want, since you are in a giving mood, lol.

but seriously bodegas are great!! but their aisles are sooo narrow that it discourages customers, don't you think? please clear the entrance to make it more appealing.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I know. The aisle are really narrow. Unfortunately, there is nothing my Mom can do about her bodega. It is a small location. But I bet you will find all the essentials :)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
No joking matter. My mother owns a bodega in the Bronx. There are 5 other bodegas around hers and the owners are ALL Dominicans.

No es chiste, bodega owners are hard working people that on average work 12 to 14 hours a day.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Profit margin: 1-3%. Bodegas sadly are a dying breed. It's hard work for too little return. Reinvestment and new industry penetration are imperative.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
The problem with bodegas is that you will see four bodegas at an intersection. I don't know how they make any money unless they also run numbers. They sure come in handy late at night when you need a cold one.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Profit margin: 1-3%. Bodegas sadly are a dying breed. It's hard work for too little return. Reinvestment and new industry penetration are imperative.

Yes you are right and that's why I was writing about how narrow and cluttered their aisles are because is sad to see them go out of business. Not all of them, actually most of them don't follow the changes in demographics that are always occurring in NYC neighborhoods. If your new immigrant group in your neighborhood is Mexican, you must carry the essential mexican products, etc. Just because the owner is Dominican doesn't mean that everyone else around him is Dominican. Hey Alex what if your mom starts a mail order website for Dominican/latino products?? She can ship Platanos to Dominicans who live far away from their Dominican foods.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Hey Alex what if your mom starts a mail order website for Dominican/latino products?? She can ship Platanos to Dominicans who live far away from their Dominican foods.

Too much work and she will have to hire someone to do it for her. I won't get involved in that.

I do know that she appeals to the massess. There are Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Guyanese (sp) people around where she has her store. She sells curry powder for the Guyanese among other things. And she has a whole bunch of other products realating to people from Mexico, PR and DR.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I would like to point out that Dominicans most likely own most of the supermarkets in certain ethnic neighborhoods. Many of these supermarkets are in the BRAVO & Super Associates supermarket chain. Not comparable to Pathmarks, but essential in neighborhoods that don't have one.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I would like to point out that Dominicans most likely own most of the supermarkets in certain ethnic neighborhoods. Many of these supermarkets are in the BRAVO & Super Associates supermarket chain. Not comparable to Pathmarks, but essential in neighborhoods that don't have one.

They offer great prices too!!!!..you can actually make a weeks (maybe even 2 weeks) worth of "compras" for less than $100. Try that at a Pathmark and you will only walk out with 2 or 3 bags.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
My turn.....

Source: CUNY Dominican Studies Institute; Dominican American National Roundtable (As of August, 2006):

There are 1 million Dominicans living in the US.

60% reside in New York State,

90% live in New York City,

Washington Heights is home to more Dominicans than any other neighborhood in the US,

New Jersey is home to the second-largest Dominican population,

Dominicans own 65% (5,600) of all bodegas in New York City,

27% of all Major League baseball players are of Dominican descent,

There are 84,000 Dominican Entrepeneurs in New York Ciry,

Dominican Borough population breakdown:

New York City= 185,808
Bronx= 181,450
Queens= 95,267
Brooklyn= 89,567
Staten Island= 2, 545.

Enjoy!!.