General Strike (Huelga)

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Whats the word on this General Strike (Welga ? ) being called for Thursday and Friday ?

I don't know alot about it but I have been hearing bad things.
I have a business in Sosua and I don't know whether to open or not.
I also have visitors here from Canada in Gaspar Hernandez, and they are scheduled to fly out on Friday Night.......

Will it be safe to travel On Friday night ?

They have friends at AI's in Playa Dorada and I am thinking it that transport to the airport would be safer from there.........

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's spelled "huelga" and in the DR it means strike and protests rolled into one.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As the OP says, there's one threatened, but as usual, how extensive and effective it'll be remains to be seen.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
This is for sure but for what reasons? I hear the President had talks yesterday for this. I also hear the prices of cigarettes and alcohol are going to increase.
There go the tyres.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Two Most Resent "Huelgas" Have Not Been Supported By The People!!

Many WILL stay home and get drunk,but I am not worried! There are usually some "Pockets" of support,but only in the "Barrios Calientes"!:pirate: Stick to the main streets,avoid the "Barrios",and thing should be "OK"! If your store is in a "marginal" area,close.
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
there is talk here in POP about it also, but how it will turn out is a crap shoot. Main streets won't help you much in POP since they are blocked by the 'construction' project plus I have seen them throw stones on cars on there too. Whats it about anyway? Funny they don't protest the whole city being under 'construction' (what a joke) for 4 months but now for cigarette tax or whatever reason there is a protest.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I heard its about the Government subsidy being lifted on Propane, now only applies to domestic use................

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It's about the opposition to the Fiscal Reform or 'rectification' (for expats IVSS going from 1% to 2% by the way). However, the Cardinal has come out against it, so that might put a few more off supporting it.
Diario Libre Online

The original call to strike was announced about 12 days ago and covered in most papers - it came from some transport unions (not Fenetrano) and groups like FALPO.

I'd avoid Navarette though, regardless of what is decided by the end of today. That is usually a hot spot and they had a dress rehearsal last Thursday ;) involving a bit of a shoot out with police. Again it was in El Caribe etc.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Time for a quick poll then............

My vote is that tomorrow there will be a big "strike" in the country.

If you get caught in a "hot zone" like CC discussed (barrios, Licey, Navarrete, etc.) you will have a bad day. If you are looking to shop tomorrow.....good luck. If you are in a tourist zone like Punta Cana...likely so marginal you won't notice it. If you are driving in Santiago....likely will love the "open road" feel...though nothing will be open (except, maybe, AZB's office...since word on the street is that AZB is in a "defiant mood" for tomorrow...)

Many elementary/jr. high/high schools around the country have notified children/teachers to stay home tomorrow. HB could comment on PUCMM (university) student protocol...although many times PUCMM does not make any comment.

If you are driving around tomorrow and you see guys standing around with rocks in their hands...your vehicle is likely to become the next "target". A huelga is a great excuse for further "deliquent behaviour".

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
translated english

It's about the opposition to the Fiscal Reform or 'rectification' (for expats IVSS going from 1% to 2% by the way). However, the Cardinal has come out against it, so that might put a few more off supporting it.
Diario Libre Online

The original call to strike was announced about 12 days ago and covered in most papers - it came from some transport unions (not Fenetrano) and groups like FALPO.

I'd avoid Navarette though, regardless of what is decided by the end of today. That is usually a hot spot and they had a dress rehearsal last Thursday ;) involving a bit of a shoot out with police. Again it was in El Caribe etc.

Translated version of http://www.diariolibre.com/app/article.aspx?id=86071

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I started reading the translated version, but I was laughing so hard about 'the national day of fight', and then I got to "follow ahead", and had to stop reading. Here is the first paragraph .. Don't drink anything while you read this ... it may end up all over the keyboard.

"SANTO DOMINGO. - The Cardinal Nicholas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez rejected the national day of fight summoned for this Thursday and Friday by choferiles, popular and communitarian leaders. He understands that strike must be the last resource, once exhausted all the other alternatives, as the dialogue ?I understands that no, that we needed to follow ahead, here what it is necessary is to work and is people who have vocation of not working?.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
More info on strike

14 of November of the 2006, 10:33 p.m.

They initiate strike in municipality of Licey
SANTIAGO. Popular and communitarian organizations initiated yesterday a strike per indefinite time in the municipal district the Doves of the Licey municipality, in demand of vindications and rejection to the fiscal reform.

Strike maintains paralyzed the commercial, educative, productive activities and the transport in that community, where they live around 5 thousand people. 5 people were stopped while the streets were blocked with set afire tires, trunks of trees, and other rubbish.

In hours afternoon confrontations to shots between groups of demonstrators, (some of encapuchados them and with homemade arms) and police agents took place. The monitoring has been increased in the last hours in the zone where long arms were sent tens of police carrying, and tear pumps.

The convoking ones of unemployment demand in addition the completion to a policl?nica, the construction of a school, the adjustment of the streets and the solution to several environmental problems.

Also they demand the replacement of the ex- one in charge of the distrital meeting of the Doves, Alfonso Alvarez, dismissed by the receiver of Licey, Humberto Triunfel.

- Cornelio Batista

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I started reading the translated version, but I was laughing so hard about 'the national day of fight', and then I got to "follow ahead", and had to stop reading. Here is the first paragraph .. Don't drink anything while you read this ... it may end up all over the keyboard.

"SANTO DOMINGO. - The Cardinal Nicholas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez rejected the national day of fight summoned for this Thursday and Friday by choferiles, popular and communitarian leaders. He understands that strike must be the last resource, once exhausted all the other alternatives, as the dialogue ?I understands that no, that we needed to follow ahead, here what it is necessary is to work and is people who have vocation of not working?.

The sad thing is that for some this is considered final copy.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I think there's a 'cooling'...........FALPO and FLUP (yes really!) are now stating they didn't call this strike originally but will support it in Navarette, Licey Al Medio and Nagua while one of the drivers' unions in Santiago has come out against it and another will decide later. It's all in Listin. I won't put the link because........well, you know, :) but those who know how to find it will probably be able to read it.