Nats Manager Is Youngest in Majors, Set To Get a Spanking New Stadium by 2008

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Acta can do it!

i am glad for him but this team will never win anything....

Really? Care to give us your insight as to why not?

A winning team consists of many factors including a manager that knows his stuff. And Manny is as good as they come.
That, combined with a good general mgr., team president and owners with deep pockets, as the Lerners are, will amount to success in a very short time.

With Acta in charge, and his many connections to the mighty Dominican baseball establishment, There's no doubt in mind that his presence as Nats manager alone will be enough to pull many a Dominican power player.

Knowledge of baseball alone won't win you games, you have to have good players and a good manager that knows how to relate to them.
Frank Robinson (Nats previous mgr.) knew his game but not his players. Manny knows both.
I see a winning team in the Washington Nationals in part due to the wise decision to hire Manny Acta.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
don juan, it's just my knowledge and history of washington dc/baltimore area sports. i live here and management always seem to mess up a good thing never wanting to spend money to bring good players to this area. a typical example is the baltimore orioles. and remember washington had a team called the senators that never did much so the team moved out. check their history..
again, i'm have no problems with Acta, his coaching but if history is an example i feel for Acta. let's keep our fingers cross that management will do good things and bring some dominican/latino players up to washington.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Mucho dinero buys buenos players.

don juan, it's just my knowledge and history of washington dc/baltimore area sports. i live here and management always seem to mess up a good thing never wanting to spend money to bring good players to this area. a typical example is the baltimore orioles. and remember washington had a team called the senators that never did much so the team moved out. check their history..
again, i'm have no problems with Acta, his coaching but if history is an example i feel for Acta. let's keep our fingers cross that management will do good things and bring some dominican/latino players up to washington.

There were Two teams that left Washington for lack of support. one became the Minnesota twins and the other, the Texas rangers. Both were/are American league teams. The Nationals are in the National league. Big difference!
Last year, the Nats drew in an average of nearly 30.000 per game, and the year before, around 32k per game. That's more than 12 other teams. If that's not fan support, I don't know what is. And were talking about an old and obsolete stadium in a crummy neighborhood. Just wait 'till the new one gets built with all the amenities and facilities incorporated, as is typical of a new stadium.

The reason baseball chose DC was because there was no better place. And the new owners (the Lerners), because of their deep pockets and commitment to their home town.
They're huge baseball fans and have been trying to acquire a team and move them here since the early 80's.....It's doubtful that after spending 600 million dollars for the Nats, and having DC build them a 500 million stadium, they are going to sit idle and let our Nats languish in mediocrity.

Granted that they're now in a rebuilding mode and it'll be two or three years down before they can start winning division championships, but the core of their line up is beginning to take shape.
Manny Acta was chosen, not just because his extensive experience, but also because of his youth. The aim of the top guys is to build up with young guys for long term results as the Nat's Stan Kasten did when he ran the Atlanta braves.

These people know what they're doing and will succeed to the detriment of your team, Mr./Ms kyle.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Lots has changed since the Capitols were in town

don't forget how close it is to Northern Virginia (aka "the Silicon Valley of the East") , which has no professional sport team, and the other wealthy "edge cities" in Maryland (e.g. Bethesda <--where the Lerners actually come from, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Chevy Chase) ..they might just find themselve turning away season ticket requests.

more for your reading pleasure:

D.C. Suburbs Top List Of Richest Counties

All the following counties mentioned have their population center closer to Washington (Lerner's Nationals) then they do to Baltimore (Angelo's Orioles), ..

The three most prosperous large counties in the United States are in the Washington suburbs, according to census figures released yesterday, which show that the region has the second-highest income and the least poverty of any major metropolitan area in the country.

Rapidly growing Loudoun County has emerged as the wealthiest jurisdiction in the nation, with its households last year having a median income of more than $98,000. It is followed by Fairfax and Howard counties, with Montgomery County not far behind.

The result is that the Washington area's households rank second in income only to those in San Jose, eclipsing such well-heeled places as San Francisco and the bedroom suburbs of New York.

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
You brought up the most important denominator.

The rich counties and cities surrounding DC is were the biggest fan-base for the Nats will come from. Hence its success. But there are several issues that need to be dealt with.

The one thing that puts me off is JFK stadium itself. I went there with my son once and had a difficult time getting a beer and a decent hot dog. It seems, not enough staff were there to dispense them.
then you have the chaotic parking situation. It took us almost an hour to get out of there. Next season, we'll take the train.
If we start winning, it is gonna be heck trying to negotiate the trip with all the extra people coming and exiting the stadium. Also, they may drink up all the beer by the fifth inning, leaving me dry-tongued. They just simply gotta get more beer and more staff. If not, they'll lose out on the all-important repeat fans.

Let's see what happens next year.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
uh, you mean RFK ? obviously, you need a little more reading on the stadium names. with all that research you did on the internet how did you forget RFK ? LOL and living in this area for almost 20 years you haven't really told me anything i didn't already know. since you seem to know a little bit about this area, the history of the teams, the fan base, it sounds like we are done talking. we will see what happens...

adios JFK and read this RFK Stadium

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
RFK, JFK, What's the difference? I was there only once and don't plan to go back 'till they move to the new stadium. (unless they start winning games!).

The point is that the Nats did fairly well without an owner. Now that they have one with mucho dinero, plus the guys running the club, they can only succeed extraordinarily well and rapidly.
Next year they'll win more games than they lose and end up in third place. You'll see!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
you're right..we will see !! maybe i'll get us some tickets so we can discuss this in person..LOL