Upscale Nightclub in Santo Domingo? Would it work?

www.DORETEL.com

Nov 17, 2006
I am seriously thinking about moving to Santo Domingo to open up a upscale Tapas Bar/Lounge/Nightclub. I was thinking of starting out with a place that can hold 200-300 people. Here is my questions:

What is the local scene like?
What is the most popular music?
Would a Open Mic Showcase for local talent go over good?
If the atmosphere is really nice would I have a problem packing the place?

I am just now starting to do research so any help is much appreciated!

Please email me at sbreen@doretel.com

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Hard Rock Cafe

With the recent opening of the Hard Rock Cafe in Santo Domingo you'll have a hard time competing with such a well know name..Go there and check it out then decide if you can afford to beat them out...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I have to say, after my last visit to SD and checking out the "upscale" clubs (Loft, Zin, Sophia's, etc)... where the well-off younger Dominicans go to see and be seen, I commented that there should be either more, or better yet, larger clubs there. There was one that was very popular (Pria) that's closed temporarily do to a shooting outside, but, somewhat surprisingly, there definitely seems to be a market for upscale clubs. These places were definitely NOT cheap and were all PACKED to the point of not being able to move once inside.

The music seems to range from Bachata/Merengue/Salsa to Reggaeton/HipHop/House/Trance...with the clubs catering to the younger crowds playing mostly the second grouping of music.

I think the open-mic/showcase idea would work well, as would a Tapas/Sushi/Martini Lounge theme...

Definitely go and check out the club scene there...and decide for yourself...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I am seriously thinking about moving to Santo Domingo to open up a upscale Tapas Bar/Lounge/Nightclub. I was thinking of starting out with a place that can hold 200-300 people. Here is my questions:

What is the local scene like?
What is the most popular music?
Would a Open Mic Showcase for local talent go over good?
If the atmosphere is really nice would I have a problem packing the place?

I am just now starting to do research so any help is much appreciated!

Please email me at sbreen@doretel.com

I hope you have very deep pockets and are well connected.
I'm sure it will work, you just gotta know how to work it.

Opening up shop here is not like USA, Canada, Europe etc.
Things just don't work like you think they should and you might find a few people and obstacles on the way.

I look forward to the opening party ;)

www.DORETEL.com

Nov 17, 2006
Club

Thanks for the insight... I think we are going to start with a space that can hold around 300 people with the option to expand to a tented outside area.

I will keep everyone posted. I am really excited.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I own a bar in Tampa Bay* (not exactly upscale, but my NFL and NASCAR patrons my have a differing opinion;) ). A couple of DR1ers have dropped by. One sent me this link:

Bottles in SDQ

Looks cool!:cool:

*Coldest Presidente and Brahma in Tampa Bay :cheeky:

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Be aware,most clubs ,/bar clubs open and shut within 1 to 2 years,there seems to be a pattern here in st domingo,either the people get bored and in time ,move on to the newer clubs,or the dj plays the wrong music?ive been here nearly,5 years on and off,i have seen some fantastic clubs go down the drain,so take care and do your homework.last week,i past the best club ive been to on the malicon, 3 years ago ,its now derelict,i went in; the building is a shell,i also seen other clubs shut,and most with no customers.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
(Voice of experience here...)

The "upscale night club" business is very fickle and trendy. Customers are always looking for the Next Great Cool Trendy Thing. A proprietor needs to get in with a flourish, market like a demon, make a bunch of dough, all the time ready to pull the plug when it's no longer chic.

My place is a "regulars" place; no need to re-invent it every 6 months-year.

I have a friend wh re-invents his place every 6 months, right down to firing the staff and bringing in new blood. It looks like a lotta work to me; but he's a young buck, full of energy...and doing quite well.

--->Insert young bull/old bull joke here...;)<---

www.DORETEL.com

Nov 17, 2006
Well I went to SD to see the building we are choosing. The building is 7,000 SQFT and has the potential to have a roof top lounge with offices for our telecom company. I went to Praia , Loft and ZIN. These places were packed on Friday and Saturday night. I had a blast. Anyways I am looking for a Loft, Home, or Apt to lease. If anyone knows a nice please please let me know.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
As Robert said, make sure you are well connected.
If not, your competitors are capable of making sure you don't get a single bottle of beer delivered.
Keep us updated.
Good luck.
Bartolomeo

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
As Robert said, make sure you are well connected.
If not, your competitors are capable of making sure you don't get a single bottle of beer delivered.
Keep us updated.
Good luck.
Bartolomeo

This is all too TRUE...Not only that but nobody will enter your buisness execpt tourists..The Dominicans will keep you at bay and your buisness will fold..I have seen this in Boca Chica year after year..Especially the infamous Route 66 club that has branches in the USA..They made it about 2.5 years..
Let me know of the grand opening and I will stop by...Hopefully you will get to the 1st. annaversary party...But you better be well connected to make that dream happen.....

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Hey

If you have some money to burn and you want to open a nightclub look at Playa Dorada! Crazy Moons is definately an option.

This place has died recently.
Location is great for tourists.
Change to British music one or two days a week
There are SO many Brits there
Put on some stage games - make it a FUN club ( not in the Childrens sense of the word but 18 - 25s - people are on holiday - they want to have some fun there! )

On my last visit I looked into it - however my personal pockets are not deep enough - nor do I have the knowledge to do the "working the Dominican system" - however if you have the pockets, know how to work the system I have the knowledge of how to run an English club.

Id be there like a shot!
Heres what we currently do in the UK ///// UKCN ///// - I could be on the next plane for you!!!!

Dan
;-)