Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to be safer in the DR - Compilation of tips by DR1 Members

Chip00

To do shortlist:

1. Learn the language - buy a Spanish Grammar Book - start with reading and writing first (3 to 4 months) after that focus on speaking. Also, watch lots of Dominican programs on tv.
    2. Dress like the locals - baseball cap, jeans, t-shirt - no shorts or obvious jewelry. I'm a white guy from South Carolina and I know I hardly get noticed a lot of times although my wife's sister says I should dress like the engineer that I am. Dominicans who have money typically dress in expensive clothes, etc. so don't be like them.
    3. Don't carry a lot of cash and be careful to hide what you have when you're paying for stuff.
    4. Haircut for guys - no bangs, comb back if long but better is crewcut or shave it off. For women see what the locals do.
    5. Put bars on windows and doors. Close in yard with wall and metal fence.
    6. Don't go out late at night if possible, if so with Dominican friends/family.
    7. Know your neighbors and exchange phone #'s for emergency purposes.
    8. Make Dominican friends. It would recommend finding friends who are professionals. This isn't to say that you can't with other Dominicans but you really need to understand a few things about their psyche beforehand. PM me for further explanation.

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To help

Quote Originally Posted by Onions&carrots View Post
    Guy, are you trying to help or create an alarm? Hides your 9mm, wonderful.
    by being honest.........

I for instance don't live in a tourist area, gated community, etc, but in a barrio that has lots of crime. Many of my friends also live in areas that are not the "safest". Even tho across the highway from me is one of the best Golf Clubs in the DR.

Do you only want "Tourist Friendly" answers, or is this discussion open to those of various experiences? I have been faced with 2 men pointing homemade guns at me, been pick-pocketed in a public car, had friends that were pick-pocketed in public cars, been assualted by 2 Dominicans claiming to be police, have a sister-in-law that was robbed at gun point by the driver and passenger late at night because she got into a car she thought was public, have been in situations where it was quite hostile, been almost scammed by money changer, etc. That's the price I pay for where I live.

If you want only "Tourist Friendly" answers, re-word the question, I prefer being honest.

If we do not discuss openly, the statements made are mis-leading.
    I don't think the question was meant to be answered or discussed in a "sugar coated" manner. I am happy you may live in an area that does not require these precautions, some of us do not, and/or may travel to such areas where they will remember the comments from EVERYBODY!

Take heed of those statements you wish, ignore those you don't agree with.

Addition to Public Cars: The person that robbed me was screaming that he was being pinched from us squeezing into the car, all the time going through my pocket.

I welcome any and all comments, hopfully I will learn something new to help protect me and my family.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i have travelled alone for years, including here in DR.
    my two pesos for a lonely female travellers venturing outside AIs:
    1. wear loose trousers, i have a pair of a very old ones, lots of pockets, most with zips, also, if you plan to visit monuments, churches, mind you, you'll need decent clothing to enter
    2. have little money, all in small change, stuck in few different pockets
    3. before you travel anywhere learn from locals what the fare is, in guagua pay upon leaving a car, do not discuss, pay with EXACT change, dsay "gracias"
    4. before travelling read a guidebook, you may take it with you but keep it hidden, you may need it to check addresses and such
    5. smile to people, learn few phrases in spanish, so you can be polite
    6. do not keep camera and mobile out in the wiev, best thiung is to carry a bag, i have read somewhere about a guy who used to smear his bags with expensive camera equipment with mud, just so they look old and stinky
    7. have confidence, it is a 3rd world country but the majority of people live here happily without ever getting into trouble

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

These suggestions coule apply to anywhere in the world. Many are just common sense.

Don't look or act like a victim, and the probability of being one goes down.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The tread is not meant to cover every eventually and it is not meant to be a safety manual while visiting the meanest barrio in the DR, (you're on your own here...). It is however meant to be DR specific.

Guns, carrying them in the street, few of us do that, so let's keep that out of this thread. For new posters/readers, note that many people carry guns in the DR.

In my opinion, much of the information here can be used generically for other countries, but, it is specific enough to be of value for us, in the DR.
    Last edited by Chris; 11-29-2006 at 06:35 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving late at night

Guys/Gals

From personal experience, if driving alone late at night and the cops try to stop you DON'T unless is in front of a precint or hotels with lots of people around. The cops are more crooked than civilians here.

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Public Cars

To be more specific on "Public Cars".

Taking them late at night is more dangerous. Be sure that the Letter Designation is an official one and not one "Hand Written", those are the ones to be leery of, for many reasons. Each public car shoud have an official ID on the sunvisor or hanging from the mirror with a picture of the driver. During the day and night, the non-official ones may more likely be buddies working the passengers. That is not to say that the Official Ones don't have the pickpocket problems, just lest likely to be a conspiracy with the driver.

When I need to take a public car, I usually wait for an empty one and then take the back seat and sit behind the driver. Only one side of me needs guarding that way.

Be especially careful if your Public Car (non-Official) at night passes through a secluded area and there is just you, the driver and one other passenger. Be safe, get out earlier with other passengers if you have doubts. I would rather walk then get into a questionable situation just to save a few minutes of time.

When walkiing early or late at night, I always cross over to the opposite side of the street when I come upon other people during those times. And also if someone starts coming up behind me late at night or early in the morning.

Use common sense - don't be lazy and try to save a couple minutes.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default travel on guagua

i only travel during the day, i tend to travel on the same route so drivers remember me (i stick out anyways). i am friendly and i smile, talk when i am talked to, put my bag on my knees but make sure the handle is wrapped aroung my wrist. i have exact change ready in my pocket/hand, so i do not have to reach to the bag/purse. i halt the car, crawl out, pay, say "gracias" and "bye". i never had any problem.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is THE most useful thread that I have read on the DR for a gringo visitor. Except for the volumes regurgitated on the Sankie forum.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't kill the thread

I am a gringo who would like to hear more common sense suggestions for keeping safe and not standing out ( being a target) from the locals on this forum. As a visitor, what traits, behaviors, appearances would set me up for trouble? What would identify me as an easy mark among Dominicans? What would reduce these perceptions?

How should an average gringo/gringa outside of an AI conduct themselves? What should I be aware of? USA, Canada, Europe; what does an outsider need to be aware of when visiting? What does one need to know to keep coming back?

Sollie

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast