Soriano

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
MQ,

Soriano is a streaky player, and the Cubs will soon find out.

Is he worth that kind of money? Well, I can honestly say that I've never understood that question. I've heard that question being asked of sports figures, CEOs, bankers and the like. But never about movie stars. But then again, I don't understand most conventional thinking. Really. I'm weird.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I don't understand being paid so much money for doing what you like...PLAYING a sport...you didn't have to go to school to learn how to do that...and MOST don't even TRAIN all that hard to be able to play and make the big bucs!!!

At least in the movies you have to be able to ACT...to command the millions...Hey, it just occurred to me...maybe these players are being paid as ACTORS after all... ;)

I like Soriano, don't get me wrong...I just think it's ridiculous to get paid so much money...he's got good stats...but really...what has he done lately?

Pobrecitos los cachorros!!!

MQ

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
check out his stats. there is a new coach in chicago which will draw a lot of fans and they have money to spend.

imagine how much money a team makes if they can afford to pay soriano 138 million usd for 8 years ?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Looks like a solid and underated player to me, but frankly the salaries paid are outrageous even though I like baseball.

This guy is not underated. This guy is a superstar. You don't pay underated players the money this guy is going to get. If this guy helps the cubs win a world series he will own Chicago. They will forget all about Michael Jordan.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This guy is not underated. This guy is a superstar. You don't pay underated players the money this guy is going to get. If this guy helps the cubs win a world series he will own Chicago. They will forget all about Michael Jordan.

Soriano has played 8 pretty solid seasons raking up some very good numbers for a second baseman (played that position most of the time). Did not get the recognition he deserved with the Yankees because too many other superstars. This past season with the Washington Nationals finishing 5th place did not help much with publicity. After this big 8 year contract I think he will be on the front sports pages.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Miren, mi gente, end-of-season stats are one thing, day-to-day production are another. And I've been watching Soriano since his SS days as a double-A player under the Yankees unbrella - he is streaky, almost as streaky as Carlos Beltr?n.

End-of-season numbers suffer from the same ills as career numbers: every now and then, some regional sports reporter will ask why Nolan Ryan never won a CY award, since his career numbers are astronomical. I think they just like to see their stuff in print.

Hey, Cleef, in my best Oaklandish, where you be at?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Miren, mi gente, end-of-season stats are one thing, day-to-day production are another. And I've been watching Soriano since his SS days as a double-A player under the Yankees unbrella - he is streaky, almost as streaky as Carlos Beltr?n.

End-of-season numbers suffer from the same ills as career numbers: every now and then, some regional sports reporter will ask why Nolan Ryan never won a CY award, since his career numbers are astronomical. I think they just like to see their stuff in print.

Mi hermano he can be as streaky as he wants with 46 homers and slugging .560, oh and on a team that finished 5th.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I called Soriano streaky, then I googled his name + streaky, and 'streaky Soriano'...and what do you know? I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Some of these folks, the fantasy guys, are baseball-crazy. They know more than the average El-melao-mas-dulce-es-el-de-casa Dominican baseball fan.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
6'000 feet and rising

A little East of Oaktown, Lake Tahoe. A crisp 36 degrees F. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

MusicQueen kind of has this right. When it comes to salaries, baseball players are entertainers, and they are paid as such. In the US, much like the DR, money gets you attention and a lot of resentment.

Soriano should be paid similarly to the best offensive producers in the game. Manny, Ortiz (althought a "bargain") Sheffield, et al, are not paid for defense. In that sense, players like Vlad Guerrero and Miguel Tejada earn more of their dollars. If you accept my premise anyway.

Alex Gonzalez (Saaawx, now Cincy) gets paid large because he has a game-changing skill - tremendous defense. However, when it comes to entertainment, the masses prefer walk-off HR's and gaudy statistics, hence the bigger dollars.

Kind of like being a retread sitcom star vs. being a Brad Pitt or Jack Nicholson. Still great money either way, but it's all about the level of entertainment.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
hmm resentment ? is that because people can't be a star ? maybe they need a self esteem class.
"streaky" didn't get him 138 million, stats did. otherwise he'd still be a double-a player under the yankees farm system....

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
hmm resentment ? is that because people can't be a star ? maybe they need a self esteem class. "streaky" didn't get him 138 million, stats did. otherwise he'd still be a double-a player under the yankees farm system....

I didn't call him streaky because of resentment. One of my all-time favorite baseball players, Eric Davis, was very streaky. Clyde Drexler, my all-time fave basketball player, was very streaky. Jim Thome puts up great numbers, but the "experts" consider him very streaky.

The comment about how much he was making was made by MQ; I commented on the fact that sports figures receive criticism, but movie stars do not. I actually think is much harder to play a sport at that level, than to be become an Oscar-winning actor.

I want him to succeed at all times, except when the game is on the line and he's playing against Sean Casey. In fact, I want them all to succeed, unless they play against Cincy or Detroit, and the latter only because of Casey.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
night, no problem here...i apologize if i misunderstood your post...everyone keeps talking about streaky, i think my posts are becoming streaky...LOL

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I didn't call him streaky because of resentment. One of my all-time favorite baseball players, Eric Davis, was very streaky. Clyde Drexler, my all-time fave basketball player, was very streaky. Jim Thome puts up great numbers, but the "experts" consider him very streaky.

The comment about how much he was making was made by MQ; I commented on the fact that sports figures receive criticism, but movie stars do not. I actually think is much harder to play a sport at that level, than to be become an Oscar-winning actor.

I want him to succeed at all times, except when the game is on the line and he's playing against Sean Casey. In fact, I want them all to succeed, unless they play against Cincy or Detroit, and the latter only because of Casey.

Movie stars do not get criticism??? Have you read some movie reviews. If the movie sucks the star will get critisized big time. And if the movie is a flop it will change the outcome of the next movie contract. Comparing acting with playing baseball or any sport for that matter is comparing apples and oranges.

Back to topic I was getting the impression that by using the word streaky to discribe Soriano you meant he was not all that, but you have clarified what you meant.

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Movie stars do not get criticism??? Have you read some movie reviews. If the movie sucks the star will get critisized big time. And if the movie is a flop it will change the outcome of the next movie contract. Comparing acting with playing baseball or any sport for that matter is comparing apples and oranges.

Back to topic I was getting the impression that by using the word streaky to discribe Soriano you meant he was not all that, but you have clarified what you meant.

As entertainers, sports figures commanding high salaries receive lots of criticism. I usually read or hear someone saying, "No one deserves that kind of money - a bunch of guys hitting a round ball and running around in funny-looking uniform." But in relation to movie stars, no one cries, "Man, that's sick: 20 million for Tom Hanks? No one deserves..."

And the word streaky means that offense comes in spurts. Sometimes streaky players are the most dangerous to the opposing teams. I only wish Soriano played for Cincy. He's all that and more.

-The Kid

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Finishing 5th

Mi hermano he can be as streaky as he wants with 46 homers and slugging .560, oh and on a team that finished 5th.
I wouldn't feel all that comfortable touting someone that finished 91st in MLB in on base percentage - as a leadoff man - for a team that finished 5th.

Unless of course he really is your brother. Then I could think of 136 million reasons.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
flip the script

hmm resentment ? is that because people can't be a star ? maybe they need a self esteem class.

I was thinking more of the other side - not the "star" - but the people that resent them for it. The "fanaticos".

If AS doesn't sign an autograph for someone, and that someone is a big fan of his, that hurts, and anger will come from it. It happens all the time. That type of resentment comes from being a star.

It's not healthy by any means, but it's a truth that all of us stars have to deal with.:bunny: