Birth of Child in DR

E-Inc

Feb 11, 2005
My dominican girl recently gave birth to our first child in the DR. I am unable to travel to the DR until Dec/Jan due to circumstances out of my control. I have a few questions about registering his birth with DR authorities.

My questions are: 1) How do I get my son's birth registered in the DR and where do I do this at?
2) How long does this process take (the Dominican process).
3) Will I be able to complete the DR's requirements and then the US Embassy's requirements in a single 3-week visit to the DR?

As always, thanks for the assistance.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Been a while since i went through this, so my memory is rusty. Quick answers: (1) the hospital begins the process, then you have to acquire the Acta de Nacimiento at the local govt office that handles such matters. Given that they are not computerized and not exactly assiduous in their duties, the issuing authorities do take some time to get round to it. I think I waited for a month, but there was (as usual) some confusion and I believe I had to go through the process twice. If memory serves there are two different forms you need, one is called "in extensa". Perhaps Fabio Guzman, DR1's resident Lawyer, can clarify. I would plan on two weeks to get the Dominican papers (with all the stamps). Pay for more than one copy if you can, that way you dont have to repeat the experience. If you are out in the campo or a small town, it would probably be quick.

The American process takes a while. First you have to gather all the paperwork and take it to the consulate, pay a hefty fee, apply for the child's passport and social security. The passport can be issued right there,b ut the social security number and card take much longer. I believe you could probably get the DR papers and the passport during your stay, but the social security card you can have mailed to you at your US address. make sure they get the paperwork done right; I had to have them fill out the social security forms twice. Get in touch with the consulate ahead of time so you know just what paperwork they require.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The birth of a child in the DR requires the parent to register said birth in the local municipal building. The hospital does nothing other then to issue the birth papers to the parents. The municipal people register the birth in their journals and then send the necessary papers to the capital where they are registered with the JCE.

On the birth of my son eight years ago the US consulate required me to supply photos of my wife prior to her giving birth and medical records of prenatal care given up to delivery date. They also enjoy any photos that you may have of you and her together especially before she began to enlarge her midsection. They are only interested in determining if the child is in fact yours as they have no desire to issue a US birth certificate to a person that may not be a US citizen.

Rick

If I remember correctly the US birth certificate arrived in the mail to me here in the DR about a month after the birth of my son and the social security card arrived about 3 weeks later. I did not apply for a passport until my son was about a year old.

samana3

May 31, 2006
E-Inc,don't worry it's simple to get your son's birth registered in the Dominican Republic,the only problem that you may have in having your child registered is if you are Haitian.

Feb 7, 2007
confused...

Does anyone have any update on this?

My daughter was born last Friday, and I want to get her declared so we can begin process to get her EU birth certificate, which is necessary for a EU passport.

To get the EU birth certificate, a dominican birth certificate is required.

To get a dominican birth certificate, a declaration process with "registro civil" is necessary. I read here Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital
that foreigners that do not have cedula cannot declare their child in DR.

...porque esta Junta tiene un reglamento interno que exige a los padres, en atenci?n a lo que dispone la Ley 659, que tiene que presentarse a hacer las declaraciones oportunas o tard?as, con la c?dula de identidad", dijo el presidente de la JCE.

A seguidas, Casta?os Guzm?n resalt? que quienes tienen derecho a una c?dula de identidad aqu? son los militares y los extranjeros que residen legalmente

Anyone has any information on this, PLEASE?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Rubio,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Please make sure that mother and daughter get plenty of vitamins.

It will be the Dominican mother that will register the birth of her daughter in the civil registry. A child born here of a Dominican mother is Dominican regardless of who the father is.

It will be up to you and the mother to satisfy the foreign authorities that the child is in fact yours for them to issue a foreign birth certificate.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Feb 7, 2007
Thanks Rick, my only worry was that I could not be declared as father, because I am a foreigner without Dominican cedula.

Being listed as a father on a Dominican BC is a main and principal requirement to get EU birth certificate for the baby.

I already have all the forms for EU paperwork and spoke with the consul today, process is straightforward but takes 6-8 weeks to get a birth certificate issued from a special Civil registry back in Europe that caters to "foreign" stuff.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
It is up to the Dominican mother to declare who the father is along with the nationality of the father. Make sure she places your name correctly and completely on the paperwork she submits. As with Spanish names I would also insure that your daughters name have both your and your wifes last name listed. My son was born with the name of John Richard Snyder Guzman and his American birth certificate has John Richard Snyder.

Rick

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
pretty smooth......

my son was born 8 yrs ago in sto.domg.both me and wife are european.
went with paper from the hospital along with our passports and had the boy registered and his official birth cert in hand within the hour.
the municipal we went to was one street back off the malecon where you can also get married too,and close'ish to el conde.
for once here,doing document work was really painless.good luck.