Citizenship Question

caligma

Nov 17, 2006
how Can A Foreign Man Getting Married To A Dominican Woman In The D.r. Obtain Citizenship?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
The Law in the DR about marriage and citizenship.

A woman marries a Dominican citizen and automaticly gets citizenship..It does not work the other way around..If a man marries a Dominican citizen he must go through the process of applying for residency first then citizenship.

All this info can be found on the Homepage here on DR1..All your answers are there..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
zak123 is correct, you have to go through the process just like anyone else to become a Dominican citizen. Here is the info to read DR1 - Legal

caligma

Nov 17, 2006
Permanent Visa Question

Thank you all who answered my first question on Citizenship. But now i have another question in regards to the Permanent Visa and they are as follows:

1. Having already had the Provisional Visa, is the Permanent Visa the last Visa that i would need so that i wont have to worry about any more processes with my Residency or should I apply for Citizenship too?

2. How Much is the Permanent Visa including all the taxes and other important paper work and How long does it take now in order to get it?

A

apostropheman

i hope this isn't too far off topic but....

in order to get a cedula you have to apply for and receive a provisional residency visa, correct or does it come with the permanent residency visa only?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
caligma

Thank you all who answered my first question on Citizenship. But now i have another question in regards to the Permanent Visa and they are as follows:

1. Having already had the Provisional Visa, is the Permanent Visa the last Visa that i would need so that i wont have to worry about any more processes with my Residency or should I apply for Citizenship too?

2. How Much is the Permanent Visa including all the taxes and other important paper work and How long does it take now in order to get it?

Again I suggest you retain the services of Guzman and Ariza attorneys at law.But to answer your question..After you pick up your Provisional residency.NOT the date you apply you will have this for 1 year.Then you would apply for you Permant residency which after 2 years you can apply for citizenship..The cost to do it on your own is listed on the homepage under residency /citizenship questions..Please take the time to review this info.To do it pain /hassle free use the attorney I recommended..The provisional is $1,000 US plus16% service tax..The Permant is $800.00 US plus 16%..If this has not changed since Sept,06 than this info is 100% correct..Welcome to DR1.............any questions AFTER you review the info i posted and you go to the homepage..Then fee free to PM me..But if you do what I said all your questions will be answered..The list of office locations is there for Guzman and Ariza..They have english speaking staff in each office..I recommend the home office in Santo Domingo..There is a very charming young lady attorney there named Maycar Mejia who is very fluent in English.........

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Apostropheman

i hope this isn't too far off topic but....

in order to get a cedula you have to apply for and receive a provisional residency visa, correct or does it come with the permanent residency visa only?

AnnaC gave you a link to click on..Please do so..For further info here is the direct phone number for Guzman/Ariza"s office in Santo Domingo...........809-255-0980....................Fax # 809-255-0940......Good Luck.!!!!!!!!

A

apostropheman

gracias por nada zak:surprised

i am familiar with the posted link but i do not believe it answers my cedula question. have you used the link provided?

as for Guzman/Ariza's numbers i also have those but fail to see why i'd call them and bother them for such simple and basic questions that should easily be answered here. i bet i'm not the only one that wants to know.:bunny::bunny::bunny:

i've been looking here, searching DR1 and have not found my answer.

let me ask another way: how does one obtain a cedula?

...also, why would i want one?

thanks all

AnnaC gave you a link to click on..Please do so..For further info here is the direct phone number for Guzman/Ariza"s office in Santo Domingo...........809-255-0980....................Fax # 809-255-0940......Good Luck.!!!!!!!!

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Cedula

gracias por nada zak:surprised

i am familiar with the posted link but i do not believe it answers my cedula question. have you used the link provided?

as for Guzman/Ariza's numbers i also have those but fail to see why i'd call them and bother them for such simple and basic questions that should easily be answered here. i bet i'm not the only one that wants to know.:bunny::bunny::bunny:

i've been looking here, searching DR1 and have not found my answer.

let me ask another way: how does one obtain a cedula?

...also, why would i want one?

thanks all

My understanding is that it comes with your permant residency..I was not told I would get this with my provisional residency..It gives you the Right to VOTE,own a firearm..and puts you more in the non-Visitor catagory..Alot of people have a provisional residency and means nothing more than that..It entitles you to make a move here if you are not already here with a tax exemption on your household goods depending on your marital status..In other words if you are married with children you would be allowed 2 TV's 2 bed sets..a little more of everything than if you were solo..If I am wrong here someone feel free to jump in and correct me but I think I have given you valid info..I hope this answers your question....

A

apostropheman

thank you very much. :)
My understanding is that it comes with your permant residency..I was not told I would get this with my provisional residency..It gives you the Right to VOTE,own a firearm..and puts you more in the non-Visitor catagory..Alot of people have a provisional residency and means nothing more than that..It entitles you to make a move here if you are not already here with a tax exemption on your household goods depending on your marital status..In other words if you are married with children you would be allowed 2 TV's 2 bed sets..a little more of everything than if you were solo..If I am wrong here someone feel free to jump in and correct me but I think I have given you valid info..I hope this answers your question....

A

apostropheman

thanks Robert:bunny::bunny::bunny:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/380727-post8.html
it appears that you get or at least can get your cedula with the temporary visa...if i'm reading this correctly.

the search function works well but it was still like looking for "a needle in a haystack"...but in think this is the post i was looking for.:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
One of the main pluses of getting a cedula is that it will allow you to get a Dominican driver license. Otherwise, your license is only valid for as long as you are legal in the country and up to a max of three months, after which you will have to leave the country and re-entry to keep it valid. If you have a crash without a valid license, the insurance will not cover you.

Also, it gives you the right to go to court with the same rights as a local. If not, you will be required to post a hefty bond.

Couple of more advantages, but these are the two that come to mind re why to get a cedula if you will be living here any fixed time.