Need Boca Chica Tourist Fatherly Advise

Moteen99

Nov 22, 2006
My wife and I are shortly visiting Boca Chica for first time and bringing son 23 and daughter 21 who are off in world/college. Both are very social in US and expect to hit bars etc but naiive to rest of world. We are staying at Hotel Zapata. Kindly provide advise on a) keep her chained to bed after dark or b) here's a couple nice spots so long as she is accompanied with her brother or c) stay in this part of town and home by 2 am etc. Do not wish to learn anything the hard way and do not want any risk for them...thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You need to watch them and make sure they don't consume too much alcohol and get themselves in trouble, you should be out with them, enjoy your trip.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Choices...

Because, by now, your son knows exactly where he's going and what Boca Chica has to offer, you have two choices:

CHOICE #1:
Don't let your son out of your sight!!

CHOICE #2:
Tell your son to pack lots of condoms and lubricants, because Dominican condoms have a propensity to break, which could lead to contracting a sexually transmitted disease.

Cheers!
Helpmann :)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Choice#3---go out with your son and daughter..you guys are not that old you can't mingle together.

Choice#4---buy some "sankie be gone" spray repellent for your daughter...

danely

Apr 23, 2004
All good advice. But I would never consider bringing them there unless you are fully aware of what they will be exposed to and you are comfortable with all that may entail. Personally, if you insist on Boca Chica as a family destination, you might want to consider the Hilton Coral Hamaca (or whatever it's called now), ALTHOUGH, your daughter is still at high risk of sankification. Assuming you can prevent that, then you could take some day trips and hang out at The Boathouse 50 yards down the beach, if you want to leave the hotel at night.

I would bet though that if they are at all curious people, they will insist on hanging out in the Disco/street scene on C. Duarte, and then all bets are off.

Buen Suerte Amigo !

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
All-Inclusives May Not Be Enough For Young Adults

Personally, if you insist on Boca Chica as a family destination, you might want to consider the Hilton Coral Hamaca (or whatever it's called now),
The Coral Hilton is in Juan Dolio and the Hamaca Hilton is in Boca Chica. All inclusives with private beaches may be the best way to shield kids if they are under the age of 18; however, if they are 18+ you just have to pray that you raised them right!

Bon Voyage!
Helpmann :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know BC is sleazy, but I wouldn't define an AI of all places as a safe haven. According to the Sankie threads that's where it all happens.

Moteen99

Nov 22, 2006
thanks

The cautionary words are appreciated. As a family we have had the good fortune to visit high end places. The thought this time was to put some edge into the trip but maintain safety. Hire a guide for a genuine look at colonial Santo Domingo and roll up our sleeves. During other days, beach is fine.
If Boathouse is 50 yds and safe, that will be the deal. Is there a bewitching hour when things change in the street or is it always heads up? Are there issues going to Dinner? This site listed some restaurants, I took a note . Hope we are not running the gauntlet for grub. thanks

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
:bunny: I am sure you and your family will have a great holiday in BC. You will love the beach and there are great restaurants downtown. One of my favorites is Plaza Isla Bonita at the front on Duarte. Great german run restaurant with a great bakery. I was there at the end of October when there are not so many tourists and it was always busy. Had many good meals here. The boathouse is a nice bar with american music not too noisy, and they have a pool table as well. I was staying at boutiqe Donemilio which is two doors to the west of Hostel Zapata. As everyone here has stated read all you can and go informed!!! I am sure you and your family will have a great time in Boca Chica :cool:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
To the OP...i think your family can and will have a good time in BC. I just wonder at your choice of hotel tho. Zapata is right accross from the main hooker bar (there really is only one these days). You might want to look at some of the other places that are available (costalunga, el candil, etc).

If you go out as a family at night...you will pretty much be able to figure out the small area to avoid. Much of duarte is full of families dinning in the evening hours. There is just one small block that caters to the sex biz...and you have chosen to stay exactly there.

Boca Chica is indeed family friendly, despite the small, nearly non-existant and seedy night life.

If you do decide to stay at Zapatta...i would call and request a room that is not facing Calle Duarte (less noise).

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
The Hotel Zapata ???

To the OP...i think your family can and will have a good time in BC. I just wonder at your choice of hotel tho. Zapata is right accross from the main hooker bar (there really is only one these days). You might want to look at some of the other places that are available (costalunga, el candil, etc).
Ughhhh?? What "hooker bar" are you referring to??

-Helpmann :ermm:

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
The only hooker bar I know of is Plaza piano discoteque which is the old route 66 far from the Zapata. Hey jryzguy what bar are you talking about???

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Pequena Suiza

This is a great restuarant in the middle of Duarte. Great food-- more a,erican style. They have a courtyard or you can eat indoors. Good place to sit at a table in the street and check things out. The owner is swiss and speaks very good english. The filet is very good here and they have an imported ribeye.( cleanest bathrooms I've seen in the DR.)

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
the sun is still shining...

Right across from Zapata is a tennis court, on one side of the hotel is the beach area for Dominican Bay on the other side a beach bar and a dive shop, in front of the hotel is the beach, no hooker bars nearby. No rooms in Zapata are facing Duarte the hotel is not in Duarte. Boca Chica is what it has always been and nothing will change the next couple of generations. The good thing is it's a 30 min drive from Santo Domingo.:cool:

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
hhmmmm...OOOHH!! my bad!! i was thinking of the Europa!!!!!! Sorry..didnt mean to give a negative opinion on a good hotel! my bad!

Please ignore my previous post :-(

If the hotel is not on duarte...then the family will be just fine. Just dont let the son and daughter go out at night alone!

and yes..the lone working girl bar is the old ruta 66 (i miss the old place!) Otherwise duarte is pretty family friendly at night. Lots of euro families hanging and having dinner.

To the OP...please give us a trip report when you get back.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Plenty of Negative Zapata Reviews on DR1

hhmmmm...OOOHH!! my bad!! i was thinking of the Europa!!!!!! Sorry..didnt mean to give a negative opinion on a good hotel! my bad!
The Zapata is still a bad hotel, it's just not near a hooker bar.

-Helpmann :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
yeah..i have read some mixed reviews on it on other web sites. I just dont want to be the source of a negative review if i havent stayed there myself. The OP can search and see where i recommend to stay in B.C.