Infant in Las Terrenas

H?vard

Nov 27, 2006
My wife and I will be staying in Las Terrenas for a month in February. We have travelled quite extensively earlier but this is our first trip with our little daughter. She will be 8 months when we arrive in DR. Pardon our ignorance but since we're scared to death of doing anything stupid with the little one we have to ask some stupid questions. Firstly, how is the supply of baby food in DR? I know that Nestl? adds sugar to their baby foods in some countries (not in Norway where we're from). Is this the case in DR? Should be bring lots of food to DR? Secondly, are there any other special conciderations we should bear in mind with the little one, especially with regards to food stuffs / water etc.? The bacteria climate is, I guess, quite different in DR than up here in cold Norway :)
We're also curious about what kind of price levels we can expect in DR.. I've tried to find some restaurant menus etc to figure out the general prices for food etc. but have not been able to find this yet. Since we will be staying in a self contained villa we will probably be making some of the food ourselves (breakfast and lunch at least). How much does a bottle of water cost, beer, meat, poultry etc etc.
Any information is much appreciated!

Cheers,
H?vard

Mar 27, 2006
You should be able to find all of your basic requirements in the small food supermarket in the center of town. They will have an assortment of food items for your baby. Most of the food is imported either from the US or Europe. Use only the bottled water and you'll all be fine.
Regarding the price of food, most of the products are below or equal to US prices in the grocery store. You can most certainly save money by eating at your villa whenever practical. However, there is a wide variety of restaurants available in town with a wide variety of pricing schemes. We have had terrific meals including wine and dessert for just $20 per person. We have also eaten for much less in many places. The overall cost of things in Las Terrenas is very modest. Be sure to take in some of the local flavor and enjoy the dominican dishes for even less money.
I've never been to Norway so I have no idea what you folks pay for basic items but I can tell you that you won't find the DR to be expensive. The local/native folks could never afford to eat anything if it were expensive. Las Terrenas is not in an area of mega-resorts or all-inclusives that drive the prices up. It is slow and laid back. Enjoy yourself. I'll be there in Feb. as well.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I have been to Norway, and I can safely say that you will probably not find anything to be "expensive" in the DR. Expect prices to be the same to cheaper than what you are used to. Some things will be significantly cheaper, but if you only visit the tourist areas, you will also receive the tourist prices.

As for sanitation, that is a whole different story from Norway. I was driving around for some sunrise pictures and I saw a local meat delivery and this is what it entailed. A man driving a pick-up truck with bloody pig carcasses sliding around in the bed of his pick-up. If you are nervous about your infant, then only feed him/her food from jars/cans or food that you prepare yourself to be on the safe side. It is also common to observe roaming dogs in the restaurants (fishermans village) and they are permitted to enter the kitchen and even given snacks. While this may be nice for the dog, I doubt that it would be permitted in many countries that take a strict view on proper food handling.

Also, if your baby is used to certain foods, you may want to bring a supply from home because you will not have a wide variety in LT and you will probably be limited as to one brand and when they run out, it may be unavailable for more than a few hours.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
LT Shopping and Eating

The supply situation here has very much improved over the years.
Besides the two bigger supermarkets ('Lindo' and 'Rey') there are a three smaller ones (two in the northern section of Calle Carmen) which have a good selection of foodstuff.
There's a German restaurant (La Mina) which serves very good lunch at a very modest price (125 RD$), always a lot of foreigners there.

Depending what you buy prices can be higher than in Europe,
other items are cheaper. So overall moneywise you may feel at home... :classic:

m'frog

H?vard

Nov 27, 2006
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for good answers! Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world so most countries seem cheap to us :)
I think we'll bring along a basic supply of baby food (packs of porridge at least) and then buy the rest locally. We're so looking forward to coming down there. The trip part of my paternity leave (we get 5 weeks paid :) and when you say it's just really nice and relaxed it sounds like bliss to us, and just what we're looking for.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Just remember to check with the airlines on the ever-changing restrictions in regards to bringing baby food on the flight with you. I tried to find a website stating the restrictions for you, but it would be better to check directly with the airline you are travelling with. Also, I can't read Norwegian ! LOL

Marlie

H?vard

Nov 27, 2006
Just remember to check with the airlines on the ever-changing restrictions in regards to bringing baby food on the flight with you. I tried to find a website stating the restrictions for you, but it would be better to check directly with the airline you are travelling with. Also, I can't read Norwegian ! LOL

Marlie

Absolutely. They just changed the rules to be in accordance with the EU regulations so I know it's really strict with regards to what we're allowed to bring as hand baggage. Luckily we've got a pretty direct flight with just one stop in Paris for a few hours so we don't have to bring loads :)