New Year's Eve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
What is happening New Year's Eve in Sosua? Will the bottles of bubbly record be broken in Rocky's?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
santa might have a hard time climbing down the chimney with 140 bottles of bubbly...

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I think that record is going to be shattered this year.Not saying we drink alot but my wife can match me drink for drink:surprised
hifiman

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
A pool needs to be started regarding how many bottles will be emptied....my prediction is 153! I guess the recycling plant will be busy to start off the new year!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A pool needs to be started regarding how many bottles will be emptied....my prediction is 153! I guess the recycling plant will be busy to start off the new year!
Up 'till now, every year we've had more than the previous, all the way back to '93, when it was just a mobile party in my 5 ton Daihatsu.
The record I would really like to break, is with the presents for the kids.
We've never run short of Champagne, but there can never be too many presents.
It's a blast, pulling up in an impoverished area, and starting a party with tons of champagne, but the real magic feeling, comes from giving presents to the kids, all nicely wrapped up, out of the blue, totally by surprise.
No words can describe it.
Those of you who have been with us on the mobile champagne runs, know what I mean.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
it sounds like a wonderful idea..i can't imagine the fun...and the presents has to be the icing on the cake...

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Up 'till now, every year we've had more than the previous, all the way back to '93, when it was just a mobile party in my 5 ton Daihatsu.
The record I would really like to break, is with the presents for the kids.
We've never run short of Champagne, but there can never be too many presents.
It's a blast, pulling up in an impoverished area, and starting a party with tons of champagne, but the real magic feeling, comes from giving presents to the kids, all nicely wrapped up, out of the blue, totally by surprise.
No words can describe it.
Those of you who have been with us on the mobile champagne runs, know what I mean.

Don't worry about that Rocky,we will be by with a serious toy infusion for the kids.
Any Idea about toys that you would like to see given.
hifiman

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Don't worry about that Rocky,we will be by with a serious toy infusion for the kids.
Any Idea about toys that you would like to see given.
hifiman
Sounds great.
I buy them all at the "dollar store" in Puerto Plata.
One year, a couple packed and brought over 100 presents from the US.
I don't know how they managed it, with weight restrictions, and all.
If a present seems too small, we wrap several up together.
Mostly, we walk through the store, looking at the toys, thinking, "Would I be happy to find this inside the wrapping?".
Anything's good.
Man, some of these kids may have never even seen a wrapped present before.
It's all good.
One of our Sosua friends just brought 50 plus small soft cuddly animals.
Whatever might put a smile on their faces and feel special.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
We are just going to bring cash and shop down there.That way it helps out the merchant and the kids.
Hifiman

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We are just going to bring cash and shop down there.That way it helps out the merchant and the kids.
Hifiman
I just found some pics of one of the wrapping sessions.
If you blow up the pic a bit, you'll be able to get an idea of some of things we buy.
We colour code the wrapping paper, so as to know which ones are for boys, girls or toddlers.
NewYearEve052.jpg

NewYearEve053.jpg

NewYearEve054.jpg

NewYearEve055.jpg

NewYear054.jpg

A

apostropheman

I?ve been for the last 2 ?champagne runs? and am trying to get there this year for the 3rd in a row.

Mere words don?t do justice to the emotions involved. To see all the smiling faces and hear the laughter is incredible, from both the adults and children. Many of these kids have ?nothing? by North American standards and are thrilled beyond belief to get a wrapped present or 2.

This night may not solve their day to day problems but for at least one night they get to feel some joy and happiness and know that we care enough to try and make them feel special.

A

apostropheman

Marco, I?ve really felt honored and connected to be a part of this and realized after that it was the happiest day of my year?and I have a good life. I may not be able to make it this year but regardless I hope you?ll allow me to make a financial contribution. If I?m there I?ll deliver it in person and if, tragically, I cannot make it I?ll arrange to get it to you. Perhaps I can send it with another, mutual, friend or will bring it on my next vacation.

Will that work?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marco, I?ve really felt honored and connected to be a part of this and realized after that it was the happiest day of my year?and I have a good life. I may not be able to make it this year but regardless I hope you?ll allow me to make a financial contribution. If I?m there I?ll deliver it in person and if, tragically, I cannot make it I?ll arrange to get it to you. Perhaps I can send it with another, mutual, friend or will bring it on my next vacation.

Will that work?
Thanks Dude,
That would be awesome, and even better if you can join us again.
I was glancing through some of those New Year's Eve pics, and I saw several of you.
I'll email them to you.
Warmest regards, Marco.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
What route do you take Marco, Bella Vista entrance?
Up through your favorite Maranatha 'hood' or where?
We may tag along. There is no smile like
the campesino kids' smile. Ribs at Rocky's,about $9 US,
gas to get to the campo and back, $4 bucks, smiles on the
kids' faces....priceless!! (not a Mastercard promotion).
maybe it should be.
Perhaps we can make it like a Mardi Gras float, decorated
with flashing lights, Christmas rythms, Ted as Santa(Monday is his day off so that works for Dec. 25), Milka and the girls dancing, and everyone
throwing gifts from the sleigh as we bounce along the roads
in a flatbed Daihatsu decorated to the hilt. We can get lit,
be legit and show the kids a bit.
We're in. Meet at Rocky's, about 4 p.m., have a couple of beers and
some grub, assemble said gifts by 6:30 and wander our way through the
barrio of choice.
Sorry to be so presumptious senores, but just a thought.
I know here they celebrate night of the 24th, but what the
hell, it'll be Christmas day (night), don't think they will mind.
I can throw in one truck....large. Any other takers?

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Howdy folks...

Count this old fart in. We used to do this in Boca Chica but not on this large a scale. Will bring xtra dinero along for the pot.

Can't wait!!

Did I hear Moet Chandon bubbly?????...damn...expensive....soooooo smooth, though.

See yez all in a coupla weeks...

Phil

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What route do you take Marco, Bella Vista entrance?
Up through your favorite Maranatha 'hood' or where?
We may tag along. There is no smile like
the campesino kids' smile. Ribs at Rocky's,about $9 US,
gas to get to the campo and back, $4 bucks, smiles on the
kids' faces....priceless!! (not a Mastercard promotion).
maybe it should be.
Perhaps we can make it like a Mardi Gras float, decorated
with flashing lights, Christmas rythms, Ted as Santa(Monday is his day off so that works for Dec. 25), Milka and the girls dancing, and everyone
throwing gifts from the sleigh as we bounce along the roads
in a flatbed Daihatsu decorated to the hilt. We can get lit,
be legit and show the kids a bit.
We're in. Meet at Rocky's, about 4 p.m., have a couple of beers and
some grub, assemble said gifts by 6:30 and wander our way through the
barrio of choice.
Sorry to be so presumptious senores, but just a thought.
I know here they celebrate night of the 24th, but what the
hell, it'll be Christmas day (night), don't think they will mind.
I can throw in one truck....large. Any other takers?
I try for love and money, to not get all wrapped up (pardon the pun) in the Champagne and present thing, until December, but your words got me all excited (No, not in that way).
We do the present thing on New Year's Eve.
If you want to do another on Christmas Eve, you bet I'm in, but we would need to at least double last years presents, which was around 1,000.
If you mean that you will join us for New Year's Eve, than I couldn't be happier.
As to where we go, I keep that top secret until we get there.
I go out days before and drive through the areas, looking for poor areas, that are so poor, that the regular poor people, cal them poor areas, and it's a sneak attack.
Nobody but nobody knows we are coming, and we blow them away.
PS: Of course, you're real warm about the areas we work, and I don't even know myself at this point, where our main target is. (We do have a couple of regular spots too)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Howdy folks...

Count this old fart in. We used to do this in Boca Chica but not on this large a scale. Will bring xtra dinero along for the pot.

Can't wait!!

Did I hear Moet Chandon bubbly?????...damn...expensive....soooooo smooth, though.

See yez all in a coupla weeks...

Phil
Hey there Old Dawg.
137 X Moet Chandon = Bank loan that I'll never pay off.
We do manage to get a Chilean Champagne that is so close to the French stuff, you'll be really surprised.
I'm a champagne snob, and can't drink that Henkell Trocken stuff.
Knowing that you're going to join us, makes my day.
I have a couple of buddies that I just know are going to become your best buddies too, and one of them is Tflea, from the post above yours.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If I may take this moment..

I will try to keep this short, while still explaining the situation.

Rocky's New Year's Eve party is NOT a commercial event.
It never has been, and will never be, as long as I have breath in my body.

Yes, we charge admission at the door, 20 or 25 bucks, I haven't decided yet.
For this, you get what we call the last supper, Steak, Baked potato with sour cream, salad and home made pies, cakes and ice cream.
The bar is open and free 'till the last one drops.
Everything is included from the 12 year old Scotch to the Champagne.
Of course this is not a money maker.
It's not supposed to be.
The tradition started long before we opened Rocky's, and this was the only way I could think of to assure that it did NOT turn into a commercial event.

We do NOT drive around on the Champagne Runs with Rocky's banners, nor even tell people who we are.

I have two friends (who wish to remain anonymous) I ask for donations, every year, and the rest I buy, along with some donations, from those who offer.
I have been sickened by some phoney baloney "charities" around here.
Every single centavos donated goes to presents and wrapping paper.

I ask all of you to please keep it on the QT.
Nobody has to know who we are, and it's so much better, when we arrive unexpected.
The sensation cannot be described.
It is a life changing event.

000_0154-1.jpg

GiftTime-1.jpg

InTheBarrios17.jpg

InTheBarrios20.jpg

InTheBarrios29.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.