Camp David Ranch Hotel

May 12, 2005
Has anyone stayed at the Camp david ranch Hotel? I've had the pleasure of eating at the restaurant but haven't used the hotel as of yet. I know its aways out from downtown, and I'd need a car if I stayed. It's just that I'm always looking fror someplace different to stay when in town. How are the rooms? clean? the service? the price? guest friendly?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It's been a while, but we've had rooms both in the new section, as well as the old section. The rooms in the old section (on top of the cars), are huge ... half a ball-room size - and everything worked. In the new section, the rooms were still large, but not obscenely so. Cannot remember the price and never took 'guests' excepting good friends for dinner. Unless the quality has really deteriorated, it is a good place to spend a night or two. No, it is not cheap.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
camp david

The price is $1300 RD a night. I have never stayed there but have ahd friends. They all liked it.
John

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We enjoyed our stay a few years back.
Room was large if a bit 'primitive' but everything worked! (Would have liked a better mattress and spring for my old aching back but it was okay for a night!)
Dinner was great and the view can't really be voiced in words! We wnjoyed our stroll around the mountaintop during the daylight hours also.
Would definitely stay there again if need be.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Frank.

I stayed there the night of December 27th, 2005. I paid $1,500 for the room alone. I got there in the evening, ate at the restaurant and the view was so freakin nice that I asked for a room with a view. It was well worth it. The staff is VERY friendly. They go out of their way to serve you. And it's the way they serve you that got me. They have like this old school Dominican campo style when treating you. They call you sir and speak to you with the outmost respect. I had a good time.

By the way - if you choose to eat in your room they will arrange that for you. The balcony is big enough and has a table out there. The room has the menu just like in the cabanas. I had breakfast in the balcony and it was real nice. Breakfast for two ran me $400 pesos. Coffee and juice included.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Also wanted to mention that if you plan on staying there long term you will need transportation as it is almost 20 minutes the center of town.

How long are you planning to stay there? I personally couldn't stay there for more than 2 nights. I'd get bored so quickly lol

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
250 pesos

I checked with taxi drivers about trasnportation. They told me it was $250 RD from the hotle to the monument. All and all not bad
John

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Regarding the restaurant, I used to say it was a great place to take people for a drink early in the evening- but then head somewhere else for your main meal.

Last time I was there was a couple of years ago. Has the food improved?

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Has the food improved?

I never knew there was something wrong with the food. People always raved about this place. I can tell you that I had Langosta a la termidor. Not sure how to translate that into English. It was fabulous. And not that expensive either. Paid $800 pesos.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I must have just been there on bad nights. After three dinners at various times back in 2002/2003, I gave up on it as far as dining was concerned. They were bad enough that I recall them... steak, pork, and fish dishes. I kept trying to find something that would qualify as average. Appetizers were sad affairs, as well. It was a poor accompaniment for such a nice view.

I realize things can change, and hope they have.

Sep 20, 2003
How much of the Trujillo Era decor remains at the hotel?

Does anyone have any photos of this place?

Are some of Trujillo's old cars still on display there?

Any information about the current owner?

Any information on the hotel itself? How long has it been a hotel?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've eaten there 6 times in the last two years. I found the food very good and reasonably priced. Maybe the view made the food seem better, I dunno.

Wimminzes need to take a sweater or wrap because it can get really chilly at night.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
food ok

As a cook with 20 years experience I can say the food is far from four stars but it is just fine. How ever a few things that strike me are the little things. The mushrooms they use are canned and I can also tell they use a prepackaged gravy mix for the sauces.
I would not cal it gourmet but all in all it is fine. Now if they had four star foods to go with the five star views then it would be really special.

John
Camp David Ranch * Hotel-Restaurante

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I had forgotten the canned mushrooms! They were in an appetizer of some sort that was horrible. If not the same chef, they must have the same recipes.

Sep 19, 2005
I never knew there was something wrong with the food. People always raved about this place. I can tell you that I had Langosta a la termidor. Not sure how to translate that into English. It was fabulous. And not that expensive either. Paid $800 pesos.

wasnt that lobster tails....thats what i had one day....it was ok.....another day i ate and the food was fine....there are not that many places in the DR where the food was a knockout.....I have just abandoned the idea of ordering steak there......

maybe just as big a question... does it still take 2 hours to get your food?

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I have just abandoned the idea of ordering steak there......

maybe just as big a question... does it still take 2 hours to get your food?

bob

I don't order steaks either. I don't think they know what a big T-Bone steak is. a 16 ouncer - yummm. When I ordered at Camp David the food took a very long time. It seemed like an eternity.

May 12, 2005
I don't remember the service being very quick but I don't recall it being much slower than many of the other places I have eaten. Then again maybe I just lost track of time becuse I was distracted by my company and the view...;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My favorites are the pepper steak and lobster bisque.

I never noticed the timeliness of the service because I've spent time looking at the gorgeous scenery.

As a sidenote, the first time I was there, my friend was pointing out the rolling balckouts the power company did. We'd see a whole Santiago neighborhood go dark, then another one go light. Funny...