Changes in the Dominican Culture

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Ok, I have to admit that I spend most of my time in the DR with females one third my age, so I really have learned little about the real culture of the Dominican Republic. Basically I want to inquire about changes in social behavior and how it has affected the DR as a nation.

I have spoken to several Dominicans my age (early 60?s) and all think that today?s younger Dominicans lack a sense of manners, morals, values, and work ethic. Most of them feel that their country may decay and die once the current generation, ages 12 to 25, of Dominicans gain power. I assure them that it will not and site the many cultural changes I have seen in the US in my lifetime alone.

My question is, exactly what cultural changes do you feel have taken place over the past 50 years and how do you think they will affect the future of the Dominican Republic and its people.

Chuckuindy

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It's the Grandpa Simpson Phenomenon. Old people tend to do that.

My mom (mid 60s) and I talked about that last time she visited, we both agreed that we'd rather live now than in the times of her grandma.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
One of the oldest textes translated from mesopetania sais exactly the same. The young only think of partying, drinking and women. (yeah i'm still young) and are useless

so nothing changed

Greetings

Johan

Sep 20, 2003
The Ancient Text

One of the oldest textes translated from mesopetania sais exactly the same. The young only think of partying, drinking and women. (yeah i'm still young) and are useless

so nothing changed

Greetings

Johan

I know this isn't DR related, but I remember the exact text(thousands of years old) you are talking about. It went something like this.

"Coming back home so late at night, does my son think I'm stupid?"

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Electronic Communication

I think this question needs to be answered on a more global basis. The DR might not be as advanced in the use of the computer at the school age level, just yet, but just think what will be available to this younger population as they advance in their use and understanding. I used the words "global basis" because the whole world is open to these young people. Not just downloading music but ALL the knowledge that is available for you and me is right there in front of them to take.

Cell phones. Look at this cultural change. Families in the U.S. call home to the DR for pennies each day whereas in the past--well you know.

Fax machines. Sending documents that are needed for biz or personal matters sent in minutes for pennies.

Just as electronics has changed the cultures of this world in the past 3 decades so has it and will it be the same for the DR

JOHN

Mar 21, 2002
Chuck as long as you can be with women 1/3 your age nothing has changed culturally. The day girls in the DR don't want old men then you can say the DR has become just like the USA. Keep up the good work Chuck.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What a well thought out post. (Yeah right)

Chuck as long as you can be with women 1/3 your age nothing has changed culturally. The day girls in the DR don't want old men then you can say the DR has become just like the USA. Keep up the good work Chuck.

Then are times when your posts are well thought out, lend to the tread, and make some sense. Then there are times you post____________________(you fill-in the blanks.)

My apologies to the moderator for personal attack--the devil made me do it.

JOHN

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Old people always say things like that chucky. :laugh:

They said the same thing about hippies and they seem to have turned out fine and are now saying those things about this generation.

Sooner or later most will conform and become "the man" and then complain a lot. ;)

Mar 21, 2002
Then are times when your posts are well thought out, lend to the tread, and make some sense.

Thanks, Moe

Afros, regeatton, crack cocaine, most dominicans speaking fluent English, marrying haitians, wearing shorts, earings, nose rings, tattoos, belly piercings, piercings, diminished nationalism, openness to other cultures, McD's, KFC, Hard Rock Cafe, denying you're Dominican as I frequently do, watching more American TV, PS3, game boy, more technologically savvy, less inclined to go outdoors bc of PS3, web chatting, becoming more isolated bc of PS3, etc ad infinitum

C

Chip00

"most dominicans speaking fluent English?"

El senor sanaoria con guandules

With regard to the quote "most dominicans speaking fluent English"; can you extrapolate on that please?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They said the same thing about hippies and they seem to have turned out fine and are now saying those things about this generation.

Sooner or later most will conform and become "the man" and then complain a lot. ;)
I shudder, considering my impetuous and misguided youth, when I come to the harsh and unavoidable realization:

I have become my father... :surprised :confused: :eek:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Hey it is not all bad. Young dominicans are much more aware of the world beyond our shores, and they pick up good influences as well as the bad ones you are all harping on. The one thing this island needs is an open mind, less insularity, and that is what the young people, and the Dominican Yorks, will bring with them. So long as they dont simultaneously undervalue the indigenous things --things like traditional hospitality, community values, that good old Dominican warmth and friendliness -- many of the changes will be for the better. And anything is better than the cockstrutting self importance of all the little nouveau riche jefecitos who follow in the Trujilloesque authoritarian traditions that are so deeply entrenched here. I witnessed one silly little puffed up gallo/abogado today, and it made me realize what a fearful combination is ignorance and authoritarianism. Not all the recent bad developments in this country can be laid at the door of the youth. The middle-aged yipeta drivers have a long way to go up the evolutionary chain.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
.....And anything is better than the cockstrutting self importance of all the little nouveau riche jefecitos who follow in the Trujilloesque authoritarian traditions that are so deeply entrenched here. I witnessed one silly little puffed up gallo/abogado today, and it made me realize what a fearful combination is ignorance and authoritarianism.

And this is true everywhere. It is just really funny in the DR. I've seen those pollos myself ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks, Moe

Afros, regeatton, crack cocaine, most dominicans speaking fluent English, marrying haitians, wearing shorts, earings, nose rings, tattoos, belly piercings, piercings, diminished nationalism, openness to other cultures, McD's, KFC, Hard Rock Cafe, denying you're Dominican as I frequently do, watching more American TV, PS3, game boy, more technologically savvy, less inclined to go outdoors bc of PS3, web chatting, becoming more isolated bc of PS3, etc ad infinitum
All of those things and more can be captured by the following:

Become more liberal.

For better or worse, that's what's happening.

BTW, every generation has a habit of sugar coating their memories of when they were younger. Some do so by simply focusing on the good of everything while others use selective memory (remember the good times, forget the bad ones).

In any case, culture is constantly evolving. So, if anyone don't like what the current prevailing culture has become, simply wait.... soon enough it will be different once again.

-NALs

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
All of those things and more can be captured by the following:

Become more liberal.

For better or worse, that's what's happening.

BTW, every generation has a habit of sugar coating their memories of when they were younger. Some do so by simply focusing on the good of everything while others use selective memory (remember the good times, forget the bad ones).

In any case, culture is constantly evolving. So, if anyone don't like what the current prevailing culture has become, simply wait.... soon enough it will be different once again.

-NALs

If anyone wants to understand where the above poster is coming from, I suggest reading up on that decadent mindset that went by the name of "Postmodernism". The fad has already passed, but it seems there are still a few diehard holdouts, like NALs.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, I haven't been here 50 years so I can't comment on that far back, but one thing I have noticed is more emphasis on the nuclear family as opposed to the extended family. I hope this doesn't get taken too far since I believe the role of the extended family is one of the DR's strengths. It is certainly something which attracts some foreigners to move here, the ones not liking the value systems in their countries of origin.

And looking at one of the posts above made me realise I've skipped a generation. I haven't become my mother, I've become my grandmother :surprised

Mar 21, 2002
Xbox, PS3, virtual reality

El senor sanaoria con guandules

With regard to the quote "most dominicans speaking fluent English"; can you extrapolate on that please?

I am half Onion not guandules. I'm exaggerating a bit but many young dominicans speak English and ALL want to learn. The young want to become Americanized on one side while on the other carrying the DR banner more as a cartoon type like Spawn. The future of the DR culture is more English speaking,imitating everything the US has to offer, USA ways, more PS3 then PS4,5,6 haha, Xbox, better virtual reality games, spending more time at home multiplaying with others around the world. The future of the DR youth , well it's here is dressing more like American youth- torn jeans, broken converse none of that gaudy tasteless gold chains- how I love to ridicule them ahaha, unfortunately more drug use because of being a smarter generation and seeing how despondent the world is and unfair. Less egotistical, stuck up because it just looks foolish, more humble, simple, caring.