Shipping Container contents Trashed ???

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone ever had a bad experience like this..I hear all kinds of storys from they don't look at half of your stuff if you tip the inspectors to my stuff was stolen and broken..Aren't you allowed to be there when they open it? I'm getting ready to set up a households goods shipment only...Going into the port of San Andres or Hania depending on who I finally choose to ship with..Would like all feedback..Good and Bad......Thanks...........

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Make sure you are their for the inspection !!! In addition, speak to your broker and ask him to have a couple of more staff available to watch and repack and to ensure that the customs staff at not heavy handed. They go through those boxes like a hot iron through butter and all sorts of things can and do happen.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Maybe someone else here can confirm it but I am not aware of any port called San Andres in the Dominican Republic. There is an island belonging to Colombia by that name.

SAN ANDRES is the port you can see from Boca Chica......

PS ...I've been to San Andres Colombia...It is one of the most beautiful Islands in The Southern Americas even though it sits less than 100 miles from the coast of Nicaguara..........It Belongs to Colombia....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The proper name is actually Caucedo and is located in Andres de Boca Chica.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Not to spook anyone,
but today had a friend receive his container on the north coast after having cleared customs in Hanai and,,,, you guessed it, A new large flat screen wasn't there.. No ones taking responsability (sp?)which is normal.
His mistake was "he was not there and left it up to the broker,, Heed the advice of leehall above. "Be there for the inspection" !! and have a few friends or extra help. It's not pleasant watching them tear apart your carefully packed boxes but they are human and will listen too you if you say slowly please, it's fragile. I wish all goes well for ya !

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Two years ago I had the same thing happen at the Puerto Plata airport. When the containers arrive they are brought to the inspection area. Between the time they are received and situated, that's when the rip offs happen. You may be waiting in the inspection area but the goods have already been lifted. It is not possible to be with your container the very minute it arrives on the D.R. shores and while it is being processed. Every minute they have the container in their hands, count on something being stolen. Quite the gigs these guys have! You get ripped off on container shipping and at the airport from the customs guys.

:angry: :angry:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Make sure especially sure there is a strong cable seal lock with unique numbers and a good padlock applied to the container doors and that the seal number(s} and container number are notated on all documents at shipment origin. Be sure that you or someone you really trust apply the devices to the container. "Do not leave it up to the truck driver to do it. It is you or your agent's responsibiity to do it."

On the Dominican end, you or someone you trust for sure be there at the inspection area when the container is opened, noting the seal and padlock are intact. When the contents are inspected after being transported from the container to the inspection area have extra trustworthy eyes in all areas where the goods are to avoid some five finger shoppng by thieves. These areas include container, route from container to inspection area, and inspection area. The vigilence will include resealing packaging and return to container. Padlock the container and attach a new cable seal after the process.

Take photos of container and contents before shipment, when the container is opened, and goods returned to container after inspection, and arrival at ultmate destination.

Regards,
PJT

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
what a shame but i've work port operations for the us military and it's easy to steal, real easy. whoever suggested the padlock and stuff is a good idea in addition to a GPS device to track your goods so you know exactly when it arrives in port.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Pjt

Thanks for all the info you posted and also the others..Keep it coming...So what the broker told me is not valid..That tipping the inspectors will prevent everything from being unloaded and opened...Just to what extent do they examine your goods..Do they go through every pocket of every pair of pants to make sure you arent smuggling money in or something to that effect.?

In other words how effective is tipping to avoid the emptying of the whole container and what is a fair tip to be handing out...Or have I been misinformed by the agent.?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
So everybody had a good experience except the posters here???

I would appreciate more DR1 members feeding into this thread...Thanks ......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You "MUST" be there When Your Container Is Opened!!!!

As was said earlier,some additional "EYES" are also needed at that time. They like to open the container and send in about 10 guys who start taking out everything at once. In the confusion,you will lose what you can't watch! I personally supervised the opening of about 10, fourty foot containers full of valuable medical equipment. We paid the "inspectors" to come to our site in Santo Domingo to open and inspect the containers. The alny time we lost anything,was the time I went on vacation,and a dominican was incharge of the opening. Lost an 85,000 dollar "Bactek" cell culkture machine. Nobody saw "ANYTHING"! Hard to believe since it is the size of a large refrigerator!

ccccccccccccccccccccc

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A person is allowed to be present when the container is opened? How is that arranged? Through the forwarding agent?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Criss

As was said earlier,some additional "EYES" are also needed at that time. They like to open the container and send in about 10 guys who start taking out everything at once. In the confusion,you will lose what you can't watch! I personally supervised the opening of about 10, fourty foot containers full of valuable medical equipment. We paid the "inspectors" to come to our site in Santo Domingo to open and inspect the containers. The alny time we lost anything,was the time I went on vacation,and a dominican was incharge of the opening. Lost an 85,000 dollar "Bactek" cell culkture machine. Nobody saw "ANYTHING"! Hard to believe since it is the size of a large refrigerator!

ccccccccccccccccccccc

So no matter what everything gets removed?? There is no way to tip your way outta this Bull S**t....From your experience what the hell do they think they are going to find by stripping a households goods shipment ? Is this a Dominican way of passing time and messing up your nicely arranged things.?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
You can always try to arrange for an inspection on a late friday afternoon, on a really wet and rainy day,,,, they might just open - look and close.
There are no rules, their just doing their job.
As stated by "ccccccccccccccccccccc" If you can arrange it to be on "your own turf" and not the port itself you will have much more control, Cost's more but much less stress !!.
From my experience, there is no logic in the way they work, and what they do and do not open.
Just have faith,, a good humour and the patience of a saint,
It all works out in the end. GOOD LUCK !

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
In reference to padlocking, photographing, etc... What is your recourse when you see the container has been opened, or when items are missing? It kind of sounds like it's all a crap shoot...?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
In reference to padlocking, photographing, etc... What is your recourse when you see the container has been opened, or when items are missing? It kind of sounds like it's all a crap shoot...?

David has a good question...Someone please answer I too need all the info possible..

Thank You..........

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Zak,
I had an ok experience and only some picture frames were broken and nothing was stolen, however I had a sealed container and was at the port within 24hrs of the container arriving in the country. Find yourself a reputable customs broker and let them handle 'greasing' the right palms. Do not try to do it yourself.
Cobraboy - Yes you are allowed and it is highly recommended. If you clearing agent tells you otherwise, find another one.

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Chris,

What on the Earth would thieves want cell culture machine for in DR? Or did it really look too much as a refrigerator, so thieves took it in confusion and then dumped somewhere coz temperature it maintained was too high for cooling Presidente?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Pjt

Make sure especially sure there is a strong cable seal lock with unique numbers and a good padlock applied to the container doors and that the seal number(s} and container number are notated on all documents at shipment origin. Be sure that you or someone you really trust apply the devices to the container. "Do not leave it up to the truck driver to do it. It is you or your agent's responsibiity to do it."

On the Dominican end, you or someone you trust for sure be there at the inspection area when the container is opened, noting the seal and padlock are intact. When the contents are inspected after being transported from the container to the inspection area have extra trustworthy eyes in all areas where the goods are to avoid some five finger shoppng by thieves. These areas include container, route from container to inspection area, and inspection area. The vigilence will include resealing packaging and return to container. Padlock the container and attach a new cable seal after the process.

Take photos of container and contents before shipment, when the container is opened, and goods returned to container after inspection, and arrival at ultmate destination.

Regards,
PJT

Pjt, Where did you get the steel cable seal with the numbers on it? from your agent?And when they are doing the inspection.Where are they putting everything from the boxes..Just out on the ground?I mean boxes with dishes and china wrapped in newspaper are all unwrapped and turned into a pile of S**t "? Or they do not boyher with these items after seeing the box if full of them.?? let me know what to expect? Thanks........

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I would bet because it just looked expensive.

Chris,

What on the Earth would thieves want cell culture machine for in DR? Or did it really look too much as a refrigerator, so thieves took it in confusion and then dumped somewhere coz temperature it maintained was too high for cooling Presidente?