Chicks for guns (don't misread please)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
From yesterdays DR1 News:

Chicks for toy guns
Dominican police chief Bernardo Santana Paez has announced a plan to give baby chicks to kids who turn in their toy weapons. According to the chief, the idea is to involve the children of six of the capital's poorest neighborhoods and "teach them the value of life". The plan is to extend the program to other areas of the country over time. The whole program falls under the aegis of the Democratic Security Plan and is a new example of preventative police work. The first barrios taking part in the program will be Los Guandules, La Cienaga, Guachupita, 27 de Febrero, Gualey and Ensanche Espaillat. Santana Paez told reporters from El Caribe that the program is based on a similar one in Colombia and other countries.

My questions are: would you like to see the Police do more of this type of community preventative work or do you feel it should be done by other organisations while the police concentrate on crime interdiction and prevention?

Where should teaching on 'the value of life' come from? Home, school, community groups, Church, elsewhere?

Was it a PR stunt because Police Chief is having a tough time right now?

Would you have given something different from chicks? If so, what and why?

I hope this is the correct Forum. If you move it, El Tigre, please not to Government...........;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My thought was, why the heck chicks? The poor little mites will end up dead in a couple of days, so where's the lesson there?

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
At some "safety checkpoints" in the states, police give out stuffed bears and coloring books to the children that were seat belts (I donate to our local force ). they also do this sometimes when answering a domestic dispute, purpose being to show kids that police are there to help and not to be feared. Dunno how exchanging a toy for a chick will work out, maybe see a boom of Galljalistico's (sp) in the furture.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
.... Dunno how exchanging a toy for a chick will work out, maybe see a boom of Galljalistico's (sp) in the furture.

That's exactly what crossed my mind when I read about the "chicks for toy guns" program being carried out by the police. The only time I've seen boys paying attention to a chick is in order to nurture/train it for cockfighting. Boys being boys, and violence being so ubiquitous, I wonder if this is not a ploy to femenize male children...

Sep 19, 2005
I think....on the surface it is a good trend....but it will be lost in all the households that have TVs and let the kids watch what ever they want.

also if the kids are young enough they wont have heard from mom and dad and auntie. that the dirt bag , low life theiving cops, are to blame for a lot of crime....because that would be a contradiction the kid may have trouble with.

not like in america the police man is basically viewed by almost all kids under 13 that they are there to help and take care of us.

in the end stuff like this can never replace all the hours that happen in a household...and really end up just being feel good actions, that dont help....

like so many anti gun laws in america....all feel good back slapping with no meaning full lasting benefits.

it is community thing...its a family thign that starts at the grandad and rolls from one fathers and mothers tounge to the next.....it starts with the goverment making lives happy and giving people hope, and getting them in the frame of mind, that they can make a good life at some point....

if the parents are PO'd at life, at the goverment, at the community...they cant hide it from the kids...so the baby chick does nothing...

lets see if the goverment backs it up.....with schools, programs that help the poor, water, and electricity.....

ok enough of this rant...sorry

bob

Sep 19, 2005
changed my mind...I aint finnished....what country is this?

its the dominican republic....not arkansas, and hillary clinton isnt running for president....get that crap out of your head

The domincan male is a macho male....you gonna try and breed that out ?

good freakin luck.... the kid will be a kid....he becomes trouble when he tries to be that macho man his ancestors were...he tries to be the man that doesnt back down...

you can coddle that baby till hes 10....but at some point his voice is gonna drop, and he is gonna want to do things MEN do....no matter how many dapers he wet along the way

heck as macho as the dominican man is...my friends were still giving milk bottle to their 4 year boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah

what are this childs role models.

he will want to be all the things he sees around him.

I think I just got a cavity from this feel good sweet thing the goverment is doing.....Are we sure Leonel didnt talk to hillary while he was in the US??

bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Boys being boys, and violence being so ubiquitous, I wonder if this is not a ploy to femenize male children...

Why? :laugh: :laugh: So the Cardinal can yet again.............? oh sorry, wrong thread.

Yes I too was wondering about the schizoid position of children understanding police as being responsible for much of the crime and receiving soft, sweet chicks. I somehow feel that if they gave out anything then a maiz plant in a large pot or something that would need tending, would grow and would produce fruit or veg. might have had the desired symbolism. I would have suggested tomatoes but they might have got misinterpreted as something else..........

Somehow, if the kids hand over their toy guns I don't think it's going to stop them picking up a stick and pretending it's a gun. Maybe the whole thing is a metaphor for dealing with all the real, illegally held guns here?

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Guns For Chicks

Think about it, o.k, thanks for the toy gun, here is your promised chick that will grow into a mature hen, that you will one day KILL and EAT!
Nice "life value" lesson! Lol. Maybe they should have given out piggies, they would feed more of the hungry.
Steve

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I think it would be amazing for the police to participate in comunity oriented activities like that. It's better for policve to start being viewed as friends of the community rather than enemies. Although, community groups would also be of great importance to enforce values around life and morals for children. Preventative work is really important to attempt to curtail the cycle of violence.

The teaching of values should come from all of these places because the teachings of values may lack for instance, at home, so then that needs to be replaced at let's say school. As well, by having all aspects of the community participate in the value of life teaching makes it appear even more important to the community.

Don't really know about the PR thing with the chief.

I think chicks are good to give (but that depends on how the chicks will live depending on where the children live) as they are giving out a large amount, so I guess budget wise they would have to give something as easy as chicks. My ideal would not be feasible for everyone to take care of properly.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A chick for a gun is definitely NOT an economics lesson...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Seems to me that maybe the parents need some lessons here. Don't buy kids, especially boys TOY GUNS!!!!!!!

OOOHHHH but Christmas is just around the corner:ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no gun and no fun

ok, so those guys gave to give up their plastic guns in order to get a live, loud, shytting chicken? that will be snatched right from those loving albeit dirty malnourished arms so parents can fatten up the birdy for xmas?
well, the deal is not bad, even if both kids and chicks do not benefit from that, the parents surely will. they are now digging up all the dusted and forgotten plastic arsenal....
and a fighting cock is not "violence" it's "investment", you know how much does a good fighting poultry costs? lots of money.

the idea is not bad in itself, but for kids - it stinks: police takes the gun, parents take the chick.

Sep 19, 2005
my gfs brother got 4,000 pesos for a fighting cock last month.

I told him its another reason to keep the hatian squatters from eating them........

bob