Everyone thnks they are different

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am an American in a short term (six months) marriage to a Dominican girl. Found out today she has a Dominican boyfriend and is an adulterer. As one might imagine I am sick to my stomach over this circumstance. Like many others I thought I was different. Lucky for me I have not transferred many assets so far. In another year she would have destroyed me financially. The wife has a home she owned before the marriage. In the divorce am I entitled to half the house? I was in the office of Fabio Guzman today in Sosua and forgot to ask that question. As regards the office of Mr. Guzman I cannot speak highly enough. The young Dominican attorney spoke perfect English and interpreted for her Dominican associate who answered all my questions in a succinct and polite fashion. Guess I join the large number of people who appreciate and recommend Mr. Guzman and his office. Thank you for any help. It sure hurts, going from heaven to hell in the blink of an eye. Sad part is that she has children that I wanted to send to college. Even sadder is that the kids (ages 16, 12,and 11) knew all along that I was a sugar dadddy and that mommy had a boyfriend on the side. What on earth is wrong with these people??????????

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Until one of the Guzmans have a moment to answer your questing below is what he posted a few years a go.

If the spouses do not sign a prenuptial, their assets are governed by the community-property provisions of the Civil Code (Articles 1400 to 1496). Spouses are 50-50 owners of all matrimonial assets. These assets consist of the following:

1) All movable properties (in essence, everything but real estate) belonging to either spouse at the time of the marriage or acquired by either of them during marriage, even by inheritance or gift unless the testator or donor has expressed otherwise.

2) All income from properties belonging exclusively for whatever reason to either spouse.

3) All immovable properties (real estate) acquired by either spouse during marriage.

To translate this into simple terms, without a ?prenup,? whatever money, stocks, bonds, vehicles, credits, etc. (everything but real estate) you may have on the day of the marriage, is split 50-50 with your spouse when you say ?yes, I do?. If your parents leave you $1,000,000 in their will and they do not expressly or implicitly state that this is for you alone, and not for your spouse, then your spouse will get 50%. (Fifteen years ago, I actually dealt with a case like this involving an American couple living in the DR).

You may ask why this is so. The answer is that we are, I believe, the only country in the world still governed by the original provisions of the Napoleonic Code, which dates from 1804, a time when wealth was almost exclusively ?immovable?, i.e., real estate, and therefore it was not considered of importance that all ?movables? be part of the matrimonial community. In France, the code was amended a long time ago to include only properties acquired during marriage as community property.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Everything Goes Its Caribbean Way.

... The wife has a home she owned before the marriage. In the divorce am I entitled to half the house?
No, you're not as it was all hers before you married her.

....mommy had a boyfriend on the side. What on earth is wrong with these people??????????

Nothing wrong, normal procedure. ;)
It's a common national sport to net a gringo/gringa and then lean back and enjoy life.

m'frog

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Zoom,

You jusy took a big hit, and I feel for ya.
Just remember that you didn't lose your wife, you lost a dream.
She was never really your wife.
It was just make believe, and all the love you felt, was for the dream of what you thought she was.
Don't know if I'm explaining this right, but if you can get yourself to perceive the situation in a different way, it won't sting as much, nor for so long.
Losing something that was no good in the first place, even if you thought it was, is nowhere near as bad as losing something truly valuable.
And the big bonus is that you found out before you got raked.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Zoom, look at it this way. You get a Get Out Of Jail card and you get to start all over again. Now this time you are going to have fun. All the women out there. You are single. You are going to have a great time. I have a single friend here in Santiago and he has tons of women. He is not Dominican. Just don't do this again...at least no time soon. You are going to have a great life.

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
Zoom..I know exactly how you are feeling. I know the ache and the sadness you are feeling. It will take time for you to heal. Its very hard to accept the fact that she wasn't really your wife. What was only make believe to her was real to you. It will take you time to get over the fact that she lied and cheated you to get what she wanted. the hurt will never completely go away but it gets better in time.
I just don't understand how these people can treat other human beings in this way-they have no regard for people's feelings and what it will do to you emotionally and financially.
This experience will make you smarter and more aware -and never make the same mistake twice!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care, it does get better.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It was just make believe, and all the love you felt, was for the dream of what you thought she was.
Don't know if I'm explaining this right, but if you can get yourself to perceive the situation in a different way, it won't sting as much, nor for so long.
Losing something that was no good in the first place, even if you thought it was, is nowhere near as bad as losing something truly valuable.

Rocky this is one of the BEST posts that I have seen! You are right on the money here my friend. You should copy and paste this at least 100 times a year!

To the OP- Rocky is correct. I cannot tell you how many times this applies, I have seen this over and over. IT was a dream you were in love with, not the real thing. I understand this must be a tough time for you. It will get better and right now it must be aweful, some day soon you will be grateful. Take care.

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
Long One

This is gonna be a looooong thread. Sorry for you,
I feel for you too....can only say time heals all
wounds. Perhaps others can learn a lesson.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What on earth is wrong with these people??????????

Nothing. It is often called 'survival of the fittest'. She might be asking 'what is wrong with you that you didn't see the score right from the start?'
Is that the bit that hurts the most, that of your self image that you weren't on the ball enough to spot this?

I won't give you sympathy or even empathy because although it may be what you want it may not be what you need. I will hope that you are capable of learning. About yourself, that is. The learning about some of the things that go on here will not help you much unless you understand why you allowed yourself to get into this position.

But I will wish you well for the future.:)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Nothing. It is often called 'survival of the fittest'. She might be asking 'what is wrong with you that you didn't see the score right from the start?'
Is that the bit that hurts the most, that of your self image that you weren't on the ball enough to spot this?

I won't give you sympathy or even empathy because although it may be what you want it may not be what you need. I will hope that you are capable of learning. About yourself, that is. The learning about some of the things that go on here will not help you much unless you understand why you allowed yourself to get into this position.

Great advise could not have said it any better. Knowing yourselve is so important in life. I wish you the best, you got a new lease in life.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Likewise No sympathy from me ................ just DELIGHT for your present circumstances!!

Many have been the same route as you - & there are many more yet to come! Learn by this & use that experience for the one you will choose to live with at some future stage. Being clever it will be a LONG way down the line that you commit something to legal papers unless it is all tied up by pre-nuptual agreements!! Do that for "Living with" partner too as six months of living with someone down here will put you in the "Married" legal framework!

All good wishes & be happy in yourself! ~ Grahame.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What was a dream to you , was a job for her - plain and simple.
You were the paycheque that was going to provide for her, her children by other fathers and her current 'boyfriend'.

Dominicans are very jealous people - between themselves. Foreigners don't count because they are just employers who provide the paycheque!
This is a way of life (or survival of the fittest) for many Dominicans.

Too bad more men and women 'in love' with a dream don't heed our sage advice!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Harsh!

Lambada
Way too harsh on someone you probably have never met! I feel for the guy just because of how much it must sting and how badly he misjudged her. Tough pill to swallow. We all learn from our life rewards and mistakes. It is much easier to live with the smarter choices though.
Stay strong, I'm sorry you had to go through this.
Steve

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I feel for the poster as well. Any time you generously give your heart to someone and they take advantage of it - it hurts tremendously.

With that said, I tend to believe that if someone in your home country wouldn't give you the time of day (younger, gorgeous, or whatever) - then you're kidding yourself that there's much real love when you find someone like that in another country who falls for you. Especially if it happens virtually overnight.

Sure, it could evolve into love over time... but anything that happens quickly is suspect and likely there are other motivations behind the relationship.

I've seen it happen repeatedly in DR. It's almost like a spectator sport.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada Way too harsh on someone you probably have never met!

You are entitled to your opinion. I would be more concerned that the poster helps himself by looking at himself rather than externalising the problem into 'what is wrong with these people?' That way hopefully he can move on, learn from the situation and not repeat the error, either here in DR or elsewhere. There would have been signs that all was not what it appeared to be. The poster needs to discover why he didn't/couldn't see them. He has work to do on himself right now. He certainly doesn't need to tell us about it, but he does need to do it. Sometimes a 'harsh' word can get people started.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Well Said

Rocky
Do you ever mess up in what you state here in the DR1? As usual, your post here is perfect. Well done! I hope the OP gets over this soon and absorbs your wise words.
Steve

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
With that said, I tend to believe that if someone in your home country wouldn't give you the time of day (younger, gorgeous, or whatever) - then you're kidding yourself that there's much real love when you find someone like that in another country who falls for you. Especially if it happens virtually overnight.

Sure, it could evolve into love over time... but anything that happens quickly is suspect and likely there are other motivations behind the relationship.

This should be THE sticky. Short & sweet, and so very true.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I must disagree...

I feel for the poster as well. Any time you generously give your heart to someone and they take advantage of it - it hurts tremendously.

Let us use the US as an example. There are many circumstances that play into relationships that are simply not in favor of a man who has been cursed with the label of "average"-

1) Not great-looking, but not a total beast.

2) Makes decent money, but not enough to buy the girl of his dreams champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Women, regardless of income, do not respect men who make less than they do. This was in an article in New Yorker magazine a while back and they were talking about the cream of New York City society-real estate brokers, bankers, lawyers, etc.

My point in all this is that people who make salaries along the lines of city employees like teachers, cops and firemen can be great husbands and providers. But how are they seen to the average up-and-coming career woman? They do not rate too highly, I can assure you.

More and more of these guys are taking trips to countries like the DR not just as sex tourists but because they feel they cannot find a loving, respectful mate back home due to the circumstances I just mentioned.

This is the reason they cannot find someone in their home country, more often than not. And as corny as it may sound, there are alot of men out there who sincerely want to fall in love for the right reasons.

Love is not love anymore, at least in the traditional sense. But what I can't understand is how dominican women let dominican men treat them like garbage yet are so callous when dealing with a foriegner who shows genuine interest in wanting to marry them and love them. Beats the hell out of me.

I am not saying that the original poster can be described as "average" as I interpret it but I just wanted to expand on your point of someone who does'nt do well with the ladies back home not being able to find love in the DR. There are many reasons why guys get knocked over by girls in the US that have nothing to do with the mans' qualities. So it is never as clear-cut as what some people may assume.

Last edited: