Santiago to Santa Domingo to Semana (Las Galaras) in a day?

LaraMeyers

Nov 30, 2006
I am traveling with a group of friends. Unfortunately we are arriving at different airports on the same day. I am arriving in Santiago airport (12 midday) a friend is arriving at Santa Domingo (5pm) and there are friends who will already be there. I have two issues I am trying to solve.
1) Is it feasible for the friends that are already there in a rental car to pick me up midday at Santiago, travel to Santa Domingo airport (how long will this take 100 Miles but how are the roads???) then pick up our friend at Santa Domingo airport at 5-6pm and then drive back to Las Galaras (Semana Penninsula) that night. (how long will that take? - already know not advisable at night) :squareeye
2) I need to catch a plane out of Santiago at 1:15pm on Jan 1st - how can I get from Las Galaras to the airport in time? - I don't want to leave the night before (NYE!) Will I need to get a Taxi $$$ ? How long should I alllow (when do I have to leave) are there any alternatives? and would it be easier just to drive myself in which case I would just hire a car from Santiago when I arrive thus saving the trip around the countryside mentioned in Question 1.
Answers to any or all of questions warmly invited. THANKS!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well the Spelling Police will have a field day with this one!!! LOL

Okay, straight up: NO!

While it could be done, it doesn't make any sense!!

You can come into Santiago, catch a bus and be in in Las Galeras before they land.

they can meet you in Las Galeras. For people coming from SANTO Domingo, it is an extra hour to come into Santiago to pick you up.
And to pick you up and go back to the airport in Santo Domingo would be just criminal.....From Santo Domingo to Santiago is about 1 1/2 hours. From the airport to Santo Domingo is about 45 minutes and from the airport in Santo Domingo to Saman? is currently about 5 hours for newbies that do not know the roads.

Oh yes, there is NO Semana Peninsula!! It's Saman? But you made a funny since "semana" means 'week' so no harm!!!

Anyway, you can catch a late bus from the town of Saman? to Santiago the night before. We'll find you a nice place to sleep and get to the airport in time.WE NEVER SUGGEST THAT NEWBIES RENT CARS IN THE DR.

If you want, go to Welcome To Paradise Transportation and ask Roc?o how much to take you to and from Las Galeras. It will be less than renting a car and much less stressful, believe me!!

You can PM me if you need further hints..

HB

LaraMeyers

Nov 30, 2006
Thanks HB.
I have driven all round the world (Asia, Central and South America and Western Countries) so the driving does not phase me. Sorry about the Semana I'll fix that Manyana. ;)
How long would it be from Las Galeras to Santiago to drive?
I am actually going to DR to spend NYE with my friends so there is no way I'm leaving the night before. That is why I am trying to work out other options to get the airport on Jan 1st. Otherwise I'll have to get a car.
Oh and my friends will start off in Las Galeras to pick me up (not Santa Domingo). I kinda agree though I'd rather get the bus. I have leaving times for the bus but how long does it take?
Thanks! Lara

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
do they put you in jail for a fender bender in those countries"?
the simplest, safest thing to do< I swear to God, is to email rocio at Paradisetrans.com.

the drive from Las Galeras to Santiago is about 4 hours for people who know the roads. then another 1 1/2 to Santo Domingo, then anywhere fron 45 minutes to and hour and a half to cross Santo Domingo and 30 minutes out to the airport. (I talked to a taxi guy todayand he had just spent 1:45 crossing Sto Dgo!!)....And over the holidays you can bet that 8 outta 10 will have some alcohol in their system!!

I have driven all over the world and this place is special,, veryspecial...

With your arrival times you would have no trouble getting to Las GAleras by 7:30 or so....

HB