What currency to bring from UK

thekidsdad

Dec 2, 2006
Hi all

Travelling to Holiday Village on 25th December and was wondering what currency to bring?

Should I bring $ or ? or will a debit card be OK to just draw pesos out of the ATM?

Look forward to some helpful advice

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Hi there

You can take £ - change in the plaza a 5 min walk from your hotel. Its a small shopping centre - gifts, trinkets, clothes etc.

You should also take some US $ - ( You need to pay $ to get in and out of the country - I believe from memory its $10 in and $10 out ).

Right now - Marks and Sparks are offering an ex rate of 1.92 to the US $. Not a bad rate!

With the ATMs you can use your card and withdraw in Pesos - make sure you do this in "day time" just in case the power goes out and you lose your card in the machine.

There is also some debate that you should tell your bank your going to use your card out there. Although this has never happened to me (yet!) there have been some reports that people cant use their card as the bank stops it as your in a foreign country.

Have fun out there - im 3 weeks behind you!

Cant wait.

WishingIwasthere

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
$10.00 in $20.00 out some places will change ? also iff you take barclaycard etc inform them, have a nice time

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
You should also take some US $ - ( You need to pay $ to get in and out of the country - I believe from memory its $10 in and $10 out ).
You don't necessarily need to get dollars only to pay the card if you still have some euros lying around after that recent trip to the Med. The immigration officers happily accept ?10 instead of $10. You pay more (and the immigration officer keeps the difference) but the difference can actually be less than what your bank charges you for exchanging pounds to dollars, and it's less of a hassle.

thekidsdad

Dec 2, 2006
Thanks all for the replies. I will take some $ with me and take my cards. I always advise the bank when I am away so they don't block my card.

I have already got my tourist card for entry. I bought it from Dom Rep Embassy in London as I've been told it avoids the big queues when you get off the plane. With 2 kids in tow the last thing I want to do is have to wait in a big Queue.

sodapop

Nov 29, 2006
what is $ us. can. eur. i see this symbol in the post but what currancy are reffering too

thekidsdad

Dec 2, 2006
People from the UK usually refer $ as US$. ? is the sign we use for Euro.

When I ask $ I mean USD or US$

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a card from rbs and lloyds, on both the rate is better when you buy with card/use atm than buy dollars in uk or exchange pounds in here.
so, my advice is, take some small cash, pounds, dollars, euro, whatever and use the cards. take the cash out of atm during the day, best in banks....
have fun!