Feedback on or suggestions for my itinerary

raftDR

Oct 28, 2006
Hi all,

I'm really looking forward to my first trip to the DR. I'm going with my girlfriend and she can only stay for 5 days before she has to be back to work. I'll be staying for another week or so to explore some of the different whitewater rivers of the country. I've looked through both the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books and a lot of the information on the internet. I've got a rough plan for the first part of the trip; we're trying to squeeze lots of adventure into the five days she'll be there and I wanted to get some feedback on my itinerary. Looking to enjoy rural life in DR and do things (mostly) on the cheap.

Day one:
Arrive at POP in the late afternoon. Pick up rental car. Planning on staying at Apartmento Hotel Lomar in Puerta Plata.

Day two:
Drive to Imbert for all 27 of the Rio Damaja Cascades. Should I expect to pay $350 RD per person? We've got our own lifejackets, etc...(planning on doing some self supprt whitewater paddling)

Drive to Punta Rucia. Try and find a hotel. Any advice on where to look for orchids?

Day three:
Tour Cayo Arena. I was told in another post that hiring a local to take us is an option rather than the larger companies. Is it a good idea to bring gasoline? What are our chances of seeing a manatee in the mangroves nearby? Planning on doing this in the A.M. and leaving by early afternoon if possible. Drive to Moncion area. Rough Guide mentions Los Charcos Los Indios and recommends finding a guide to it at local cassava bread factory. Is this necessary to hire a guide or can someone tell me how to find the right tiver to hike up? It sounds fantastic; a real high-light to the trip. This would be on New Year's Eve and we're thinking about ringing in the New Year at Hotel Los Americano in Marcion. Hope we can stay awake 'til midnight!

Day 4
Drive to Jarabacoa. Run the Yaque del Norte and check out the upper stretch as well as the Jimenoa. Staying at Guest House Jarabacoa for two nights.

Day 5
More rafting. Stay in Jarabcoa again.

Day 6
She heads to POP and then home and returns car. I'm off for another week of trying to find my way to, down , and home from exciting new rivers!

Any answers to my questions or general input on good sights or good food on this path would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Gabe

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Raft,
Sounds like a great itinerary.

I'd caution against the driving & suggest you consider hiring a driver.
You mentioned in another thread it is your first trip to a Spanish speaking country. Road signs don't always exist in DR, where they do you might not understand them, and asking for directions yields questionable results even when you do speak Spanish! Driving itself is a challenge. At least hire a driver for the first day, then rent a car if you're comfortable.

Some others might have suggestions for drivers. I know one who is reliable and that I trust whose English is pretty good and he has a nice Toyota van. PM me if you would like contact info for him.

After the girlfriend's gone visit Sosua and Cabarete beaches. Perhaps even get a hotel for a night or two in each town. Santo Domingo (3 1/2 hour drive/bus) gives you the Colonial Zone to explore, los tres ojos, and other tourist sights.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can help you with just one thing: Orchids

When you are in Punta Rucia, you can visit the house next to Paradise Tours. It is a blue on up on stilts. To your left there is a fallen tree and there are orchids on it. Next to the house on the right, there are orchids on the second tree.

These are extremely fragile orchids and can grow nowhere else except there.

Please do not touch or harm them.

HB

Regarding your trip to Monción, it is pretty easy. You turn right at the Cruce de Guayacanes, right at the next intersection, go into Mao, right at the first big avenue you see--goes to the Fortaleza-- and right on the highway to Santiago Rodriguez, then take the left fork to Santiago Rodriguez, and make a left to go up the mountain. Up the mountain is Cacique, where they make the casssava bread and a good place for a beer or two....

After that , you are on your own~~

Have fun...

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
HB,
OP's first trip to DR or any Spanish speaking country. In other thread has said he's tried to pick up a few basic Spanish phrases.

You comfortable with him heading out on day number 1, not to mention being able to follow your directions?

I still think 'get a driver' for at least the first day or two, then decide.

raftDR

Oct 28, 2006
Thanks for the concern CFA. I'm sure we'll get quite lost at some point, but I've had some great times being lost and not knowing the language before! I think I should be able to handle finding Punta Rucia at least. Some of the residential streets in my town here in Idaho are dirt and I'm somewhat experienced in driving on the unpaved back "roads. I'll probably skip Cabarete and Sosua. I'm looking to spend more time in the mountain areas. Although I've heard there are some interesting limestone canyons in the Northern mountain range.

Thanks for the directions HB. I think I can find the orchids. Don't worry I'll take only pictures. I'll be sure to let you know If i do find the cassava factory or the waterfalls and cave nearby.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are tour buses that go to Punta Rucia every day from the POP area.

The shortest way is to take the highway to the turnoff to Guananico-Mamey de los Hidalgos-La Isabela-Estero Hondo-Punta Rucia. Gorgeous drive.

The easiest route is POP-> Navarrete->go left....follow the highway west. The first major cross roads is the Cruce de Esperanza, the next one is the Cruce de Guayacanes (where you will turn off when you are going to Monción). There is a light there now!!! OMG!!

Anyway, you will pass thorugh Laguna Salada, Hatillo Palma, and La Guajaca. Keep on the watch for the Kilometer markers on the right side of the road. Most have been vandalized, but there are a few left. Once you get to 50 or so, know that at about 45 or 43 you will be in Villa Elisa, and here you turn right to Punta Rucia. Not a difficult ride..

Please drive very defensively. Every other driver on the road during this period will have at least a few drinks under his belt. Know this as a fact!!

You are truly phucked if you get in any sort of accident, believe me. Ruin a great week..for sure. Drive like every other person on the road is a freakin' maniac (and many will be just that!!)

Please take pictures of those orchids...

HB