North Coast Beach reconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicaBianca

Jul 13, 2006
Playa dorada beach

Hi Steve
Send me your email address and I will send you some pics of the playa dorada beach. I just returned last week, and the beach was beautifull

bianca

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Cabarete done

They have finished the beach in Cabarete, it is beautifull and white, doubled the width therefore the water is much deeper. They seem to be at Kite Beach now

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
New beach for Cabarete

Cabarete ... Before and after ...Any pics ? "New beach for Cabarete
According to Tourism Minister Felix Jimenez, the government has spent three million dollars on the reconstruction of Cabarete's beach. A total of 280,000 cubic meters of new sand was dumped on the beach, and the 2.5-kilometer stretch can now handle as many as 100,000 beachgoers at one time. Funding for the project, which includes Puerto Plata and Sosua beaches as well as Cabarete, came from a passenger tax and private sector contributions with the Puerto Plata Hotel Association playing a principal role."
...It emphasized that the project of beach regeneration, that already finalized in the North coast (Puerto Plata and Cabarete), will be made in the zone of Juan Dolio...

Last edited:

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Some pics

OK, all my last year's pictures are on my PC at home. I just took some new ones and maybe the first one can kind of tell a different story. It was taken earlier this year. At the far left end you can see La Punta just before Kite Beach and where Hotel Punta Goleta Beach was. The water is really high there and the shore erosion was tremendeous. The colour of the sand is different.
I wouldn't call the sand white (like in Bavaro/Punta Cana), but it is lighter than before.

Before.jpg

This was the last day of work just before Nany Estates
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p245/snowbird44/CabareteBeach
002.jpg

Cabarete Main beach towards Velero
CIMG0030.jpg

The rocks at Nany Estates are dwarfed now
CabareteBeach011.jpg

Beach at Punta Goleta now
CabareteBeach010.jpg

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Looks like they'll soon be ready to start pumping sand.....sure wish I had my camera to take pic's of the public beach area in front of the old Punta Garza location......

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Wow, that beach is lilly white! What they should try next is to make the sky more blue. I can't believe that this project was ever approved! Then again, the Dominican Republic and it's people have everything else it needs, ie. great education system, low poverty rate, electricity, clean water, law and order. Yep, a white beach is all that was left to fix.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
...Yep, a white beach is all that was left to fix.

specially given where the funds came from, right? ..and that it greatly hepls the country's most vibrant industry.

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Not sure where the funds came from and do not think it matters. Any funds should be used to build a country that is suitable for tourism. You cannot have a "vibrant" tourism industry when the infrastructure and systems (socioeconomic, political, legal...) are deteriorating. How many investors do you think are going to continue buying on the North Coast, when prostitution, drugs and murder are on the rise. I know it is not all bad, but come on, a whiter beach!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
$3,000,000 on schooling or $3,000,000 of course the beach wins! For me, the question should be, did people ever not come to the DR because of the colour of the sand? I doubt it. So the money could have been spent in a better way IMO. They could have had a million dollar anti-litter campaign and a few more waste bins, which would have made a bigger difference to the environment AND still had a couple of million for social projects?

But, I recall that the money 'mainly' came from businesses on the north coast, so I guess they can do what they want with their own cash.

The work was done by a Dutch company. I would have thought the DR needed to keep bringing money in to their own economy?

And I still would like to know how long it will be before it is all swept away? Mother nature has a way of keeping things how she wants...

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Wow, that beach is lilly white! What they should try next is to make the sky more blue. I can't believe that this project was ever approved! Then again, the Dominican Republic and it's people have everything else it needs, ie. great education system, low poverty rate, electricity, clean water, law and order. Yep, a white beach is all that was left to fix.

The sky is blue enough already ... but what about the beach ? look at this before pics ... DSC02116 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots , DSC02303 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots , DSC02298 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots ...Do you think was it fine ? To put more sand every 7-9 years how it is programmed as a normal beach maintenance procedure like anywhere in the world ... and the funds coming from the hotels in the area and from country entrance fees... nothing affecting any funds for education , electricity , law and order etc... and it is not just about white sand , it is recoverig ... regenerating the beaches ... and it is better to do it with the white sand then with the rockash !!! ... DomRep.ch - Fotoalben - Rockash - Abladeplatz aus der Luft

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Steve-
I get your point. I think it is a matter of what one finds to be more important for the future of the country. If you think that white beaches are the answer to more tourism, then go figure. How about this one for North Coast tourism? Build a road that moves around cabarete. Do a complete overhaul
of the village with bicycle and walking traffic only. Tear down shabby signs, cobble stone the road and put up fresh paint. Put some benches to sit on with plenty of trash cans. Make it a quaint village with nice little restruraunts and shops. That would do far more for the North Coast than any white sand. It would also create work for the local economy, not for a company outside the DR. Apply a small sales tax that goes towards education. Make education the focal point of the North Coast. In 15 years when the kids become young adults you will see a different country. By the way, the person that is starting the trash pick up program...many thanks to you! This is the mindset that will change a place. It will take years, but this is where you start. The hotels and other businesses need to look further ahead than 1 or 2 years. This is a 10-15 year process. If things do not change in the DR, it will be left behind and only Interpol agents will enjoy the white beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.