narrowing a divorce question down

Sep 19, 2005
I know it has been the subject of many many posts...and I remember some of the replies...but they were general.
I remember reading that a spouse can get 50 % of the assets of a marriage....now the technical fine tuning....if an american marrys a dominican woman and moves to the DR....are possessions and monies in american accounts subject to a divorce decree issued in the DR on behalf of the dominican spouse?

further if the american spouse were to travel to the DR ,and find papers served against them...would they be put in jail till a bond or payment of the divorce settlement were reached....assuming the DR courts can reach or try to reach back into america to get assets.

secondly...if a dominican marrys an american and moves to america...then after several years flies back to the DR and files for divorce.....are the assets in america subject to any decree issued in the DR????

would an american court try to help a dominican court recover judgements issued in the DR???

thanks

dont read too much into the question,......it is for general knowledge...not a bad thing to have in life.. ha ha ha

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Very simple, make her sign a PRENUP in both countries.
Then all she gets are the piglets and none of your heart earned assets from before the marriage.

Sep 19, 2005
id still like the INFO..........

wed be fighting for the pigS tooth and nail....they are a GREAT tax write off!

bob

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Bob!!! you're getting married???? Congratulations!!!

I know I know, couldn't help myself.

but seriously now, I like your questions, I think many here would be intersted in knowing those answers.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Now wouldn't it be funny if Bob is going to give her the ring over Christmas, and DR1 knows before she does?

That actually would be pretty pathetic, no offense Bob, you let the cat out of the bag.

Congratulations!

tambo

Sep 19, 2005
trouble makers!!!!!

there wll be no ring given over christmas...I am not even going for christmas...........Id have to have a buddy deliver it and the proposal for me to do that!!!!!!!! any takers....ok times up....

hlywud....I dont think id be offended....and I KNOW I am not..because I dont understand what you wrote.,......ha ha ha

how can we get married ..I havent even been through the sick relatives need money period yet.

anyone got any idea about the answers?

bob

Sep 19, 2005
I have seen that before...but it doesnt answer the question....they way it is worded...all assets...but i am thinking they mean IN THE DOMINICAN Republic.....or all assets period.....say if the couple owns cars in america...or a bank account in america... and they live in the DR....are the Dominican courts going to try and access those account that are not in the DR????

there is a difference....I am not talking about any court action started in america....does the dominican republic think that a spouse married in the DR is entitled tohalf of all assets no matter where they are in the world?

as an example..lets say a mna has a 401K plan or even just a simple bank account america... and has it well before the marriage.....they dont sign a prenuptial agreement...and they live in the DR....but the man still has the account and or 401K plan in america under his name alone still when a divorce action is started in the dr...... are those american accounts...PART OF THE AVAIABLE assets the dr courts will consider.... and make judgement against?

that question hasnt been answered....

thanks

bob

Jan 9, 2004
And the answer is....

I know it has been the subject of many many posts...and I remember some of the replies...but they were general.
I remember reading that a spouse can get 50 % of the assets of a marriage....now the technical fine tuning....if an american marrys a dominican woman and moves to the DR....are possessions and monies in american accounts subject to a divorce decree issued in the DR on behalf of the dominican spouse?

further if the american spouse were to travel to the DR ,and find papers served against them...would they be put in jail till a bond or payment of the divorce settlement were reached....assuming the DR courts can reach or try to reach back into america to get assets.

secondly...if a dominican marrys an american and moves to america...then after several years flies back to the DR and files for divorce.....are the assets in america subject to any decree issued in the DR????

would an american court try to help a dominican court recover judgements issued in the DR???

thanks

dont read too much into the question,......it is for general knowledge...not a bad thing to have in life.. ha ha ha

bob

Bob:

It depends.

From the American side, it depends on what state you live in. Some states recognize Dominican divorces and some do not. States that recognize them may be more inclined to enforce cross border judgments. This will, of course, vary even amongst states that recognize Dominican divorces as many times the separation agreements have already been drafted and signed in the parties respective home state and the only reason the D.R. becomes involved is to expedite the time frames for it to become legal. Thus you have people flying there for the sole purpose of the reduced waiting periods for a final judgment.

Your questions are general, involve two countries laws, sovereignty and 50 sets of individual states rights. Without really narrowing down where you get married (state and country) there is no easy answer that will be forthcoming when it comes to marriage/divorce in one country and property in another and divorce settlements involving one or both.

Perhaps Dominican law is clearer on the issue and Fabio may way in....but the question remains, would an American court, in your state, give full faith and credit to a Dominican courts divorce decree and subsequent property settlement. Once again, It Depends!!

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Sep 19, 2005
even before that palyacaribe....does the DR court even consider going after the american assets?......answering that would be a first step...if they do...the DR court or divorce laywer only needs to hire an american lawyer to put liens on accounts on thier behalf......

I have time.....

bob

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Your question boils down to determining the law which will govern your marriage, whether American or Dominican law.

To start, a distinction must be made between jurisdiction and applicable law. An American court may have jurisdiction in a case but apply a foreign law, let?s say, Dominican law. (I personally have been involved in many cases in which I have been asked to testify or provide affidavits to American courts on Dominican legal issues.) A Dominican court may in the same fashion apply American law to a case.

If you marry a Dominican citizen in the Dominican Republic, while you are a resident of this country, it is quite certain that your marriage will be governed by Dominican law.

In case of a divorce, no matter where your wife sues you, Dominican Republic or the US, the applicable law will be Dominican law. Likewise, a ruling of a Dominican court regarding the divorce may be enforced in the US.

Sep 19, 2005
In case of a divorce, no matter where your wife sues you, Dominican Republic or the US, the applicable law will be Dominican law. Likewise, a ruling of a Dominican court regarding the divorce may be enforced in the US.

is that the same as saying...YES.. the dominican court will include those previous held US bank accounts in the divorce settlement and award 50% to the dominican born spouse?

thanks for the reply

bob

Jan 9, 2004
even before that palyacaribe....does the DR court even consider going after the american assets?......answering that would be a first step...if they do...the DR court or divorce laywer only needs to hire an american lawyer to put liens on accounts on thier behalf......

I have time.....

bob

Bob:

I believe it would be your ex-spouse armed with a Dominican Judicial decree, not the Dominican courts, that would be pursuing your assests in the USA. AND, as anybody who has ever gone through the legal process knows, finding your assets and collecting on them are the really difficult part.

The best advice as a first line of defense, as has already been stated, is in getting a pre-nup drafted, having competent counsel for both parties, and having the document writen and legalized/notarized in English and Spanish.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
is that the same as saying...YES.. the dominican court will include those previous held US bank accounts in the divorce settlement and award 50% to the dominican born spouse?

thanks for the reply

bob

Bob,
Read this thread where Fabio discusses property division, community property and pre-nups. It appears that previous bank acounts become community property subject to a 50-50 split unless there is a pre-nup. http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/22118-seperation-assets.html?highlight=immovable

Jan 9, 2004
No Easy Answers

Your question boils down to determining the law which will govern your marriage, whether American or Dominican law.

To start, a distinction must be made between jurisdiction and applicable law. An American court may have jurisdiction in a case but apply a foreign law, let?s say, Dominican law. (I personally have been involved in many cases in which I have been asked to testify or provide affidavits to American courts on Dominican legal issues.) A Dominican court may in the same fashion apply American law to a case.

If you marry a Dominican citizen in the Dominican Republic, while you are a resident of this country, it is quite certain that your marriage will be governed by Dominican law.

Fabio:

I think Bob's post above concerns itself with the word "may." In your usage did you mean it to say "may" as in might, possibly or "may" as in the granting of permission, i.e., you may now proceed. It can be interpreted in different ways by different people. It is afterall much like another favorite word of lawyers...."reasonable."

Another distinction that should be made here is the application of Dominican Law in U.S. Courts and vice versa, and the enforcement of Dominican Law in U.S. Courts and vice versa. While I agree with you on either country being able to apply one countries laws in the courts of the other, taking an order or decree rendered in one country and getting it enforced in another is a much different matter.

One such example that comes to mind is the U.S. citizen involved in the Plan Renove case. I believe our courts refused the extradition request of the Dominican government. And, I believe that there are numerous instances where the Dominican government has refused our extradition requests of some of its citizens. This is a refusal of one country to honor the legal system decrees of another.

The point here is that while we can quote the law in each of our respective countries, when citizens of two different countries entwine the law of those same two countries, there is no "bright line rule" on what may or may not happen when cross border enforcement is requested.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Sep 19, 2005
howmar...it isnt beyond belief that all the terms and conditions expressed by my Guzman are ment to apply INSIDE the Dominican Republic...

I know anyone can be sued for anything..but it doesnt mean they will win though

so the little stickler I have been trying to get answered on the question that "all" assets become community property upon marriage...INSIDE THE DR.......do assets OUTSIDE THE DR apply?

you would think "ALL" would answer that...but because a condition of the law is that the marriage must take place INSIDE the DR....there ...MAY be a condition that predjudices..... the term "ALL"......................as in

INSIDE THE DR..... all assets inside the DR where the marriage took place

but I guess Ill just let it go...so everyone doesnt think I am being a pain in the "a"...for not thinking my question was answered already....

but I appreciate all the replies......

and hopefully none of us have to worry about those kind of details in our lives..

bob

Jan 9, 2004
Much clearer now

howmar...it isnt beyond belief that all the terms and conditions expressed by my Guzman are ment to apply INSIDE the Dominican Republic...

I know anyone can be sued for anything..but it doesnt mean they will win though

so the little stickler I have been trying to get answered on the question that "all" assets become community property upon marriage...INSIDE THE DR.......do assets OUTSIDE THE DR apply?

you would think "ALL" would answer that...but because a condition of the law is that the marriage must take place INSIDE the DR....there ...MAY be a condition that predjudices..... the term "ALL"......................as in

INSIDE THE DR..... all assets inside the DR where the marriage took place

but I guess Ill just let it go...so everyone doesnt think I am being a pain in the "a"...for not thinking my question was answered already....

but I appreciate all the replies......

and hopefully none of us have to worry about those kind of details in our lives..

bob

Bob:

So if I understand you, your question should be framed and addressed to Fabio this way:

"Whether under Dominican Law, ALL property, wherever situated, of the non-Dominican spouse becomes community property upon a marriage in the Dominican Republic to a Dominican citizen."

Am I interpreting you correctly now? Forgive my earlier answers as they tried to address your multiple "what if" scenarios of your first post.

Fabio's answer to that question will no doubt be extremely helpful to those non-Dominicans contemplating marriage to a Dominican citizen.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Bob:

"Whether under Dominican Law, ALL property, wherever situated, of the non-Dominican spouse becomes community property upon a marriage in the Dominican Republic to a Dominican citizen."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That question is still vague as the community property law differentiates between immovable property (real estate) and movable (other assets). Previously owned real estate does not become cummunity property as I understand it.