Funny Stuff

C

Chip00

I just wanted to start a thread to talk about some of the customs and beliefs they have here in the DR that might seem a bit "funny" (different) to foreigners. This thread is in no way meant to denegrate or Dominican bretheren, just an observation and some "characteristic" beliefs and customs for our own edification. I hope this thread stays lighthearted. Some examples are:

1. Dominicans sometimes will squint the eyes rapidly in succession - that means they aren't understanding you and they want you to try again/speak more clearly so they understand.

2. If you eat hot food (not spicy) at someone's house don't expect to be given something cold to drink, as this may cause damage to your mouth.

3. If you are hot and sweaty, don't expect to be offered anything cold to drink much less water to pour on your head as they may cause someone to go crazy. You are expected to cool off naturally first.

4. If you happen to burp at the table please know that this is highly repulsive for many of the locals and a heartfelt apology is needed.

5. Cars sometimes in the righthand lane of traffic will cut across expectedly to turn left - and you are expected to yield.

6. Dominicans in cars hate to get passed by a motorcycle on the open road.

7. Hotdogs CANNOT and WILL NOT be served in this country without ketchup and mayonaisse - no matter how many times you tell the guy - it's the law.

8. Don't be surprised when your in line somewhere and someone cuts ahead of you - you're expected to do it and people will let you too.

9. Cocacola, and for that matter, all softdrinks will damage your kidneys.

10. Pregnant women won't wash their hair for 40 days after they give birth - it's bad luck.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
1- Cannot put your purse on the floor or your money will disappear.
2- You cannot be cooking in the oven (warm) and get something from the fridge (cold) or your heart will stop.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Da mucho sue?o

Well, there are certain foodstuff that make you sleepy...

- jugo de guanabana
- yuca
- leche
- yaut?a
- papas
- lechuga
- pan de coco
- queso
- pollo
- verdura
- :classic:

m'frog

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
3- Don't take babies out at night, the "Sereno" (cold air or something) will attack them!

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Well, there are certain foodstuff that make you sleepy...

- jugo de guanabana
- yuca
- leche
- yaut?a
- papas
- lechuga
- pan de coco
- queso
- pollo
- verdura
- :classic:

m'frog

I've only heard of Tamarind doing this ...sleepy, but actually due to lower blood pressure.

Mirador, Pib, is there any truth to this?

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
This is helpful

Number 8 about people cutting in front of people in lines surprisingly only happened to me in Santo Domingo. I was so ****ed off. It happened in the food line and in the washroom line and people didn't care, it was like it was normal. It was never explained to me before this, I thought I was just encountering some selective rude people.

Thanks for the info

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this was covered very extensively a couple of years ago...it never gets old..

If you tell the person that cuts in line to get to the back of the line they will go..It is that many Dominicans are not confrontational...we are.

Some days more than others, of course...

HB

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
- After a C-section, you cannot talk or your stomach will get filled with air.
- Can?t wash with Cloro (bleach) if you have a cold. :bunny:

Sep 19, 2005
..It is that many Dominicans are not confrontational...we are.

HB

you must be talking about when they are NOT in their cars on the road....right????.................

.or the americans brought bad driving, and road rage to the dr.... ha ha ha ha

bob

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. You cannot cook in the morning as soon as you get up or you will stop growing
2.If you touch a dog when it is on heat you will get sick
3.You cannot have a shower if you are sick or have been in hospital
4.Any pain in the back is your kidneys
5.You need to go to the doctor or hopital for any pain at all, anywhere for 'analysis'.

Matilda

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Few more...

- Any baby under 3 months or younger should not be placed in front of a mirror (bad luck- Why? Who knows!)

- For the ladies (sorry guys) - Cannot wash your hair, drink lemon or alcohol nor carry a new-born baby during that time of the month - Dont ask..you just should NOT DO IT! :eek:

-When coming come after a long hot day, take off shoes, cool down before taking a shower or opening fridge...o te vas a espasmar!

- On Good Friday - No jumping, running, screaming, cleaning or playing loud music - or else the Pajaro Malo (Devil) will come "up" and snatch you away, unless of course your dad or godfather is around (apparently that makes you untouchable) - And trust me, I made sure I did this one!

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more....;)

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
4. If you happen to burp at the table please know that this is highly repulsive for many of the locals and a heartfelt apology is needed.

Isn't that worldwide? :surprised

Marlie

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If a baby has the hic-ups take a piece of red string, moisten it with spit, ball it up between two fingers and stick it to the baby's forehead.

Likewise if a baby starts choking blow on their forehead.

The forehead must be the panacea for babies.

Rick

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've had supermarket rage before when someone cut in front of me. the situation was amplified when i called him profane names in spanish.

if a woman buries your underwear in the backyard, you will never cheat and always come home.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Bob the people that started the tradition of blowing on the baby's forehead may be extinct but their tradition still lives on.

Rick

C

Chip00

Isn't that worldwide? :surprised

Marlie

I meant to imply from my posting that it is basically reviling and repulsive to Dominicans but in the US if you do it I doubt anybody is going to leave the table in order to prevent themselves from vomiting. That was the case the first time I let one out here in the DR eating lunch with the relatives - my wife told me later that it was all my cunado could do to prevent him from blowing grits all over himself.

In China it is a signal that the guest likes the food and it is encouraged - I learned this the first time I ate dinner with an ex-girlfriend parents - her father could have won a burping contest - the old feller actually let one rip out the other end too. My ex and her mom didn't bat an eye!

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
-Whenever you say something nice about a newborn you must say que "Dios lo bendiga". Not doing so may cause the baby to become ill or cause some other catastrophe.

-Do not get your baby's haircut before he is one. If you do he won't talk!

-When a child bends over and looks at you from between their legs, it is said that they want another little brother or sister.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
My mom used to tell me not to take a shower after eating. You get some kind of cramp.:surprised