Juan Dolio beaches public or not??

edgar325

Dec 7, 2006
I am considering buying a plot of land about 2 blocks behind the Costa Del Sol building in Juan Dolio. I am wondering if me and my family will have access to the beaches in the area. I hear that by law all beaches are public in the DR but I dont know if the beach front proprietors will have security on the beach to keep people off (unless they own property will Metro Country Club).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am considering buying a plot of land about 2 blocks behind the Costa Del Sol building in Juan Dolio. I am wondering if me and my family will have access to the beaches in the area. I hear that by law all beaches are public in the DR but I dont know if the beach front proprietors will have security on the beach to keep people off (unless they own property will Metro Country Club).
You are correct that all beaches are public, but some are guarded by well connected people, and illegal or not, you wil not get onto their beaches.
There's only one way to find out.
Try walking accross it or lounging around there.
If any armed man prevents you, then just forget about that beach.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
At the moment, in Villas del Mar, where you are thinking of buying there is only one public beach. You go up the boulevard for about 25 mins, past the new hotel Sun Village and tehre is the cement factory. Walk trough it and you come to the only public beach. yes all beaches should be public and you can usually walk along the hotel beaches, but the ones in front of the new apartments like Costa del Sol are guarded by human Rottweilers and no way will they let you past. There is an alleyway between Hemingway and the Capella hotel which is a strip of land owned by the residents here and you can use that for access to Capella beach.

matilda

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
those human rotweillers are protecting a huge investment in the area but if u own property in the area and u are well behaved . i see no reason that u should have an agreement with costa del sol to use the beach

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There is the public beach that is accessed at the 4 corners turnoff to Playa Juan Dolio and Los Conocos. This is the only true public beach in Juan Dolio.
The access at present that is between Club Hemmingway and La Capella will be closed to the public once construction is complete.
At present access is also allowed through Costa del Sol (unless you are accompanied by a dog then no access is allowed) however once CdS2 is complete this will not be possible.
The access to the beach at the cement factory will also be closed in the future so unless you have a membership to Metro or Guavaberry in the near future there will be no access other than to the public beach.
At present there are four access points to the public beach from the beach road.
This is approx 3-4 kms from where you are considering buying.

Yes you can walk along the beach once you have accessed it....just don't try to lounge in front of the residential buildings or resorts or you will be asked to move on!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You try getting agreement to use the beach. I don't see how 'they' can close the access next to the Capella as the land is actually owned by the people who own houses and apts in Villas del Mar - but no doubt it will happen. I agree that Metro and Hemingway and whoever else is building apts have made a huge investment, but so have those of us who have houses and businesses here - albeit on a smaller scale. So because they have more money they have the right to take what in law is a public beach away from us, and unless you own one of their apts you have no right to see the ocean, nor to bathe in it, nor to walk on the beach - unless you travel to Old Juan Dolio. Great.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That's one of the prices one pays to live in paradise (when that paradise is a politicaly corrupt third world paradise!)
If one had money, one would have a place on the beach and most likely on a different island!

edgar325

Dec 7, 2006
I guess the answer to my question is that I will not have access to the beach simply because I own property in the area.

So my next question is how easy or hard is it to talk with one of the beach front hotel owners/managers to setup some type of agreement where you can visit "their" beach??

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In your dreams.......
You'll be able to use the accesses mentioned for now but once they are closed you'll either need to buy a membership to Metro (US$30,000 last time we checked) or Guavaberry or get used to the fact that you need to come to old Juan Dolio to use the public beach.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
my friends showed us a beach near juan dolio a few years ago. You walk to the east...and walk past the nicely kept bungalos...and then there is this large abandoned estate...and we hung out there all day long and nobody bothered us.

I posted some pics of this beach a couple of years ago..i will try to find them and repost them.

IT wasnt a GREAT beach...but it was a nice place to hang with absolutely nobody else around (nobody seemed to be around at the bungalo's)

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
You can invest in Vilas Del Mar

You can get all kind of opinions on this from everybody ...positive , negative ... Mine is - invest ! The beach has to be public all over DR . In Villas Del Mar will be various public access to the beach in the future when all this constructions are done . The access between Capella and Club Hemingway is not closed DSC02315 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots. Club Hemingway has as well a passway to the Embarcadero Restaurant DSC01518 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots on the beach between Hemingway Club and Costa Del Sol I DSC01636 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots , which is closed for now , but will be opened when they finish a new Coral Park Project. Next one between Costa Del Sol I and II , will open for access from a future Metro development in front of Costa Del Sol DSC01453 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots (posible shopping center and residencial project) , next will be Marbella Project access , when is done. Guavaberry Beach Club Webshots Community - Slideshow of Juan Dolio Guavaberry Beach Club is not closed for a public , but you have to consume something in the restaurant and bar , so you can use there beach and pool with jacuzzi etc. Next will be by future Ibiza Project . After just rocks , no sand. Anyway you buy a land and while everybody are building ... you are building ... when everything is done ... streets , beach reconstruction ...everybody will be happy... just takes time and do not forget Juan Dolio with Villas Del Mar is a fastest developing community in the South Coast ... Close to Santo Domingo and San Pedro , has 2 for now Golf Clubs and will have 3 with a big Marina in a future Metro Project - Costa Blanca . It is close to the airport Las Americas. Remember a lot of Mega Projects in DR will not have in the next 10 years what already has Juan Dolio . There is a good road from the airport and from the cities. What some Mega Projects in DR are still dreaming about... Make a wise choice - Invest ! Just remember when the time comes - vote as an owner in Villas Del Mar for naming it as a Gated Community ( later more info...) Good luck !!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Jrzy...that was probably the old Costa Linda resort, which I understand has now finally been sold so a new project should soon be coming there.
As far as beach access is concerned I'll believe it when I see it.
Been here too long and seen how things usually transpire.
I can't see these developers allowing 'free' beach access through their properties with the prices being charged to buy into them! The rich don't want to mingle with the 'little' guys.
Look what has happened at Bayahibe, Punta Cana, Playa Macao etc.etc.

Sep 19, 2005
Is this a public beach....last spring we rode our ATVs there that we rented at the hilton hotel further east......bob

image002.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
try this...I couldnt solve that problem before my editing time ran out...sorry

2gtwy2f.jpg

this beach is about a mile or less west of the hotel we stayed at.. the hilton coral ..or something like that...we rode our atvs there....the guide took us there..

bob

Sep 19, 2005
steve g your second post was correct..that is the hotel we sayed at , and it was east of the arial photo I posted....my question is:

Is the beach i posted a photo of , the public beach in Juan Dolio?

and sorry about the photo size...I was having trouble saving it, and tried so many ways so fast, to try and get it in on my previous post before the edit feature expired......that i forgot to resize.......

bob

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
steve g your second post was correct..that is the hotel we sayed at , and it was east of the arial photo I posted....my question is:

Is the beach i posted a photo of , the public beach in Juan Dolio?

bob

The name of this beach is Playa Vicini , located next to Playa Esmeralda Resort and is in Guayacanes town few miles west from Juan Dolio.