Arrive in 2 months and 2 days with questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Our group of 22 will be arriving for a 9 day stay on February 9th and am trying to plan some fun things for the week. We are staying at Breezes resort and am planning the Monster Truck trip for the 12th and we will do some daily trips to both Sousa and Cabarete via the free shuttles to town during the week.

The couple of question I have are: Interested in having a catamaran trip during the DAY on the 10th and although I have done a ton of research so far (love this site) would like input/reviews on what you think and who to go with. Am very interested in being with the locals and NOT a tour company.

Also would like to take the 22 of us to Rockys for an afternoon of food and drink and need help on planning transportation...
thanks

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Also would like to take the 22 of us to Rockys for an afternoon of food and drink and need help on planning transportation...
thanks

For that number of people, the easiest way is to make arrangements at the hotel taxi stand in advance. There usually are vans available. The rate for a taxi to Sosua is about US $15 (the rate is posted) which will accommodate 5 passengers or 50% more for a van that will carry about 9. They will want to arrange to wait for you. Tell them that you want to be picked up at whatever time or get telephone number to call them. If you want to try Rocky's almost world-famous ribs, you should PM Rocky in advance as they are not usually available in the afternoon.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
thanks for the reply

Will PM Rocky (he is the only Rocky here?) as would love to bring my group down for the day if possible to get away from the resort. And if we all fall in love with the DR (like I know we will) could possibly rent rooms at Rockys for the following year....his prices are great.
Our group is ages 33-67 and we are all partiers and LOVE to meet new people. thanks again

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've been on the catamaran tour, it's fun. i went through a local company. i don't think you'll see a catamaran full of locals, only tourists. talk to this tour company in sosua about arrangements

Catamaran - Mel' Tour

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
thanks Kyle and will check with Mels tours for this. there is nothing like a day on a catamaran.....

I didnt mean Locals on the boat, but prefer to work with local companies when I travel and not tour thru the hotels/resorts or ships. thanks again

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Our group of 22 will be arriving for a 9 day stay on February 9th and am trying to plan some fun things for the week. We are staying at Breezes resort and am planning the Monster Truck trip for the 12th and we will do some daily trips to both Sousa and Cabarete via the free shuttles to town during the week.

The couple of question I have are: Interested in having a catamaran trip during the DAY on the 10th and although I have done a ton of research so far (love this site) would like input/reviews on what you think and who to go with. Am very interested in being with the locals and NOT a tour company.

thanks

Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel, Sosua - Dominican Republic Rockys web site maybe he could arrange transport?

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
THANKS Vince and I have PMd Rocky and will wait to see what he says. I am so looking forward to this trip!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
no problem....Mel's and Alf's are local tour companies in sosua....

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Love this website! Thanks for all the great advice

:cool: Heard from Rocky and our group will all go there one afternoon during our stay and he will make sure the ribs are ready for us!!

Thanks for the links and now checking out Mels Tours to see what they have and am considering hiring JJ for the day for 12 of us.....and have been in contact with Rocio to transport a small group that will arrive in Santiago to Breezes.

getting so excited. We will also FOR SURE be visiting the Checkpoint Bar throughout the week.

Want to possibly do the whale watching as well and checking into that shortly...9 days just isnt long enough for this holiday

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks Rooster and EVERYONE for all the input. The falls at Damajagua look awesome although looks a little too strenuous for around 5-6 in our group that are over 60. Can they be visited without taking a "tour"?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Whales from Sosua

"Whale watching is a long ways away from where you are staying, likely 3 to 4 hours each way."

If you're dedicated to whales -- there was an organized day trip last year out of Puerto Plata -- whales with Victoria Marine, then a few hours on Cayo Levantado and return. Didn't do it, but spoke to someone who was doing it. Might be worth looking into.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks me and hlywd for the information.
How far is Rocky's from the drop off point of the shuttle? We have a full afternoon planned there and would like to have everything set. I know the shuttle just about drops you off at the Checkpoint Bar which we also plan to visit.

There are 4 of us in my group that want to go to Samana even if it is a long ride. Just need to know who to use.......

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
This map of Sosua may help.
Sosua- Maps.
Although the Checkpoint isn't on the map, it is located near the beach, about a 5-10 minute stroll up the main street, Calle Pedro Clisante, to Rocky's.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
My 2 pesos on this... definitely work with one of the tour companies, as opposed to the toyr desk at the hotel...Mel, Alfs, etc... there are many...most mentioned here in various threads. They are in big competition with each other and Ive noticed some of their prices vary widely, and they will definitely negotiate prices based on that many people and if youre going on multiple trips. THey all will pick you up at your hotel for the tours, so that saves on some transportation. I like FunTours in Cabarete..great guys..from Germany, I think, and they'll definitely make a deal...they have a "3 tours for $75" package which is a great deal to start with.

The waterfalls tour is excellent...you usually do quite a bit more than just the falls (lunch, visit a coffee/cocoa/cigar/crafts area, etc)...and when you get there, there's a nice place for those that dont want to "do the falls" to relax, have a drink, and wait for the rest to return...also, most of the trips only do the bottom 7 falls...which is PLENTY for the average person...and lots of fun!!

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
David - thanks for the information and I will look into tours to pick us up at the resort. Do you see any type of problem with us taking shuttle into Sousa to visit both Checkpoint and Rockys? or should we arrange a driver?

I always plan my own excursions and never deal with anything the hotels or ships offer as I can always find better and much cheaper tours. thanks again and will check it out

Would Fun Tours in Cabarete also pick us up at the resort for any type of tours we go on? I have been doing so much research on a few websites and am wracking my brain with planning some of our days. Have nothing planned for Cabarete yet, but plan to do so. Also wonder who the best to deal with for OceanWorld? There are many in my group that want to go there...
thanks again everyone here!!!

Just looked up Funtours and the entire site is in German. Is there a way to see these pages in English? Or can someone tell em what they offer?

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If the resort offers a free shuttle...use it...if you wind up staying in Sosua after the last shuttle, you can take a taxi back. The taxi stand in Sosua is on the opposite corner of the street Rocky's is on, about a half block away.

Fun tours will pick you up at the hotel, they seem to have pretty much the same tours as Mels and Alfs, but for a few $5 to 10 less. The one I took from them was the Waterfalls, and everything from the pickup to the drop off was excellent...including the drinks, the lunch, and the guide - she spoke perfect english, as well as german and french (I think).

I would go to the main strip in Cabarete your first or second day and check out the tour companies...they're all on the same street, all within about 5 or 6 blocks of each other. (You could do this in Sosua as well). They have "menus" of the tours, and use one against the other for bargaining...I would guess with that many people and booking several trips, you could get a fairly sizable discount.

As for Ocean world, try calling them when you arrive and as for a group discount, then hire a driver with a van... they may also arrange for pickup with your size group. No need for a tour operator to take you there, it's only about a 40 minute drive from Breezes...however, I think some of the bigger ones may be able to get you a group discount cheaper than the standard p/p charge if Oceanworld doesnt offer it directly.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Checkpoint

"Although the Checkpoint isn't on the map ..."
Just South of where the number 6 is on that map

Status
Not open for further replies.