airport in saman?

sephora

Dec 8, 2006
I used to live in Saman?, and left this past summer. I'm curious to know if the airport, the new international one that was being built, has been finished. I'm planning on going back in early april, and if the airport is up and running, it'd make traveling easier.
Thanks in advance!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Samana's new international airport at el Catey officially opened November 1st and recieved it's first flight November 6th. At this time all flights are charters from Europe and Canada but major American carriers are expected to announce service soon. American Eagle is already rumored to start service to San Juan as soon as they work out a deal with the Dominican government.

DonkeeHotee

Jul 1, 2006
I happened to pass by the airport on Wednesday. It looks very nice, but it didn't look like it was operational. It was full of workmen, ladders everywhere, no airport staff to be seen and all check-in desks closed. I took a couple of photos anyway.

sephora

Dec 8, 2006
thanks

Thanks guys...very helpful
Though it sounds like it won't do me much good if it's only got European flights for the time being, and here I am needing a flight from Miami!

bolivar_c

Oct 20, 2006
Thanks guys...very helpful
Though it sounds like it won't do me much good if it's only got European flights for the time being, and here I am needing a flight from Miami!

Im dying for them to open flights from Miami to El Catey also. I go to Samana several times each year, and it would be conventient not having to drive from Puerto Plata or Santiago every time.

sephora

Dec 8, 2006
really?

Im dying for them to open flights from Miami to El Catey also. I go to Samana several times each year, and it would be conventient not having to drive from Puerto Plata or Santiago every time.

Really? You drive from Puerto Plata or Santiago to Saman?? I've always done the Santo Domingo-Saman? drive. How long does it take from PP or Santiago?

I'd like to make my travel time as short as possible!

sodapop

Nov 29, 2006
if you go to the post beautiful picture's of samana there is a few pic's of the airport its nice

Mar 27, 2006
It's much easier to get out of Santiago than Santo Domingo. When you exit the airport you're on the highway immediately and it seems to have a lot less traffic than SD. The potentiel for getting jammed in traffic is far greater in SD. Therefore, Santiago is a better choice to get to Samana.

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
Pop

I personally think its easier to go from POP to Samana than Santiago or SDQ, at least until they get the new road built from SDQ to Samana, about a year away from now. But you will pay, as it is a private deal with toll booths along the way. But a straight shot, very nice.....flew over it today....the new road I mean.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
It might be a little bit easier (and about 45 minutes quicker) to go from POP versus SDQ to Samana, but most flights into POP from the 'states (even as close as Miami) are much more expensive. And with no more Caribe Tours bus service from POP we have quit recommending POP as a way in or out of Samana.

It might be easier to get out of Santiago's airport onto the highway (just as easy as SDQ) but if you head north and have to pass through Santiago it's not much different than passing through Santo Domingo- both are a pain in the butt. We don't recommend Santiago to our guests coming to Samana as if they rent a car and drive themselves, getting to Samana can be confusing, especially to non-Spanish speaking guests. If they do fly into STI, we usually have a taxi waiting for them.

sephora

Dec 8, 2006
Caribe Tour

I've only been to Santiago from Saman? once, but I remember it being a relatively long trip (then again, it was in a little guagua an acquaintance drove). Is there still a Caribe Tour bus going from Santiago to Saman?? If so, does anyone know how long the trip is? (And I mean Santa Barbara of Saman?, not just Sanchez)

As it's my family's first time in the DR, I've recommended that we don't rent a car and drive all the way to Saman?. If there's no Caribe Tour (or if it's too long of a trip), then we'll just go into Santo Domingo. :)

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
I've only been to Santiago from Saman? once, but I remember it being a relatively long trip (then again, it was in a little guagua an acquaintance drove). Is there still a Caribe Tour bus going from Santiago to Saman?? If so, does anyone know how long the trip is? (And I mean Santa Barbara of Saman?, not just Sanchez)

As it's my family's first time in the DR, I've recommended that we don't rent a car and drive all the way to Saman?. If there's no Caribe Tour (or if it's too long of a trip), then we'll just go into Santo Domingo. :)

Dolores give good answer here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-directions/55929-santiago-samana-plane-bus.html

WebDev

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Samana's new international airport at el Catey officially opened November 1st and recieved it's first flight November 6th. At this time all flights are charters from Europe and Canada but major American carriers are expected to announce service soon. American Eagle is already rumored to start service to San Juan as soon as they work out a deal with the Dominican government.

Santo Domingo.- American Airlines said today that it has requested from the Dominican Civil Aviation Board the respective permits to operate new routes in the Caribbean area, from the international airports Las Americas and El Catey, in Saman?.
Eduardo del Pozo, directorate for the Dominican Republic provided the information was, said the approval of these permits will mean a considerable increase in the frequency of American Airlines flights through its affiliate American Eagle.
The permit request corresponds to the new routes San Juan, Puerto Rico-Saman?; Santo Domingo-Port Prince; Santo Domingo-Cura?ao and Santo Domingo-Caracas.
Del Pozo said the new routes, to be operated by American Eagle, are part of the airline?s expansion plans and clearly show its confidence in the country?s stability and in its present and future potential, as part of the possibilities which the DR-CAFTA trade deal with the United States and Central America offers.
He said the new flight frequencies will add some 150,000 passengers to Dominican Republic in the first year of operation, adding that if approved, American Airlines plans to start those operations next July 1.