Booking Hotels Ahead for Christmas-time?

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
I'll be visiting 12/22-12/30. My plans probably include Santo Domingo and Las Terrenas or Las Galeras. I'd like to stay in the cheapest hotels since I'm easy to please... Question is: Is this time so busy that I might not be able to just show up on a doorstep and get a reservation at one of the less expensive hotels?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Vacancies

I'll be visiting 12/22-12/30. My plans probably include Santo Domingo and Las Terrenas or Las Galeras. I'd like to stay in the cheapest hotels since I'm easy to please... Question is: Is this time so busy that I might not be able to just show up on a doorstep and get a reservation at one of the less expensive hotels?

Yes, it is.

m'frog

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
That's not the answer I wanted...

So, planning ahead is very much in order then... hmm. Okay, so do you think I could arrive Dec 22 with a place all planned out for the first couple days & make the calls to the other places for reservations once I'm in the country, or do I have to plan it all ahead of time?

I'm not really excited about long-distance fees or trying to make reservations over the phone. (& I'll admit that I like to make my plans as I go, but I can come to terms with that one. With all of your excellent advice here, I'm sure I can commit to some itinerary & be happy w/it...It's just hard for me.)

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Money Talks On Christmas Reservations

... Okay, so do you think I could arrive Dec 22 with a place all planned out for the first couple days & make the calls to the other places for reservations once I'm in the country...

Why not?
It'll be a bit frustrating though.

Your schedule hits a very busy time and you'd need to be lucky to secure something by telephone reservation.
Most people just would not bother without seeing your money on the counter.

m'frog

BTW:
'That's not the answer I wanted...'
Well, better get used to it... :bunny:

Mar 27, 2006
Sorry to say but the early bird catches the worm, use this as a "life lesson" which is what I tell my kids when they need to learn something important and long lasting. But let me also suggest this, try the internet. Go to samana.net and review the "accommodations" link, send e-mail requests to all those places you can contact. You just might come up with something, people do cancel their plans leaving an opening for someone like yourself. Best wishes either way and Merry Christmas.

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
I did check samana.net, and actually quite a few of the cheap places still have availability! Yay. Now I just have to pin down my itinerary. Thanks for the reminder of that site. I wish one of the cheap places in Las Galeras had hot water though!... You get what you pay for, I know. Thanks.