Jose Uribe killed in car accident in the DR

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I'm not for one moment suggesting alcohol was involved in either of these tragedies, but I'm amazed at how drinking & driving is considered to be 'normal' behaviour in DR. The roads are bad enough without adding to it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
His son is a star for the Chicago White Sox.

Now you know why we don't want newbies driving here.

HB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
At first, I greeted the news with suspicion, but now I accept the accident as more than plausible. The stretch between Santana and Nizao must be one of the most trecherous roads in the entire DR. Driving on it at 3:00 am, the guy must have been suicidal, or at least completely outside his rational sense.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I'm not for one moment suggesting alcohol was involved in either of these tragedies, but I'm amazed at how drinking & driving is considered to be 'normal' behaviour in DR. The roads are bad enough without adding to it.
It goes along with not wearing seat belts. All normal behavior, both by the Dominicans and the ex-pats.

slarkin

Dec 22, 2006
uribe family

I am friend with Jose and his family. I lived in Juan Baron for three months. Does anyone else know the family. Juan is a cousin not a son.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
At first, I greeted the news with suspicion, but now I accept the accident as more than plausible. The stretch between Santana and Nizao must be one of the most trecherous roads in the entire DR. Driving on it at 3:00 am, the guy must have been suicidal, or at least completely outside his rational sense.

I don't get it. On my map, Santana is just east of Higuey and Nizao just north of San Jos? de Ocoa. Half the country is between those two???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are many places in the DR that share the same name. The stretch of road in question is in Peravia province (Ban?), SW of the capital.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There are many places in the DR that share the same name. The stretch of road in question is in Peravia province (Ban?), SW of the capital.

On the highway going south, towards Ban?, after crossing the bridge over the Nizao river, about a kilometer up the road, take a left next to the gas station. The road is a 10 kilometer stretch of narrow irregular pavement, sharp curves, and roller-coaster hills, all the way to the town of Nizao. If you want to continue to Playa Pelenque, after crossing the town cross a narrow bridge over the Nizao river, and drive another 10 minutes, first up an embankment, then crossing the town of Sabana Grande de Palenque down a winding road toward the sea.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Yes, found a Nizao there.
I am very sorry for everyone who knew him.
I just want to make sure that this "most dangerous road of the country" is not included in our itinerary. We are the mentioned "newbies" and we are becoming more and more concerned about safety on our intended trip by rental car.
Kind regards,
Katrien

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Yes, found a Nizao there.
I am very sorry for everyone who knew him.
I just want to make sure that this "most dangerous road of the country" is not included in our itinerary. We are the mentioned "newbies" and we are becoming more and more concerned about safety on our intended trip by rental car.
Kind regards,
Katrien

Katrien, actually this road may be the safest for you in the DR, since you have been forewarned, and like the old saying, "guerra avisada no mata soldado", and "la fiebre no est? en la s?bana".

I suggest always drive defensively, and never at night (if you can avoit it).

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Katrien, actually this road may be the safest for you in the DR, since you have been forewarned, and like the old saying, "guerra avisada no mata soldado", and "la fiebre no est? en la s?bana".

I suggest always drive defensively, and never at night (if you can avoit it).

Also carry a First Aid Kit...Because if the accident won't kill you the wait time for an ambulance will.