Winter League News

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Anyone attending games regularly, or otherwise?

Seems like a good race on.

In other news, Reyes (NYM) won't be available to play for the Cibao Gigantes.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I was able to see 2 games only so far...in November...Aguilas-Licey...once in Sto. Dgo, the other in Santiago...

I'll be back the first week of January...unfortunately, I don' think they might be playing at that time...but I catch the games whenever I can on TV here in Miami...

As far as Reyes...I think it's a good thing the Mets are trying to keep their star healthy for the new season... :)

MQ

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the race does seem to be a lot tighter this year....i like both Licey and Aguilas...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I know it's been asked and answered before, but could someone tell me the hometown of each of the teams:

Gigantes
Aguilas
Licey
Estrellas
Azucareros
Escogido

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Gigantes - San Francisco de Macoris
Aguilas - Santiago
Licey - Santo Domingo
Estrellas - San Pedro de Macoris
Azucareros - La Romana
Escogido - Santo Domingo

Sep 19, 2005
ok I went to that site, and I have read the standing for the past month....and I am wondering how they call each team...it seems they have a GENERAL area they are from, then there is a more specific area, and then there is the name of the club....but I think they are interchanging how they call a team...when they list the teams......the san fransisco team is the gigantes?...right..does that mean the GIANTS....and if so why dont they call the Licey team the TIGERS instead of LICEY...which from what i understand is an area of Santo Domingo....I know there is a team called the LEONES...and team that is called Tornos, or TOROS....and i think the Santiago --is Agulas...are called the Cibenos...did I spell that right.

so if someone can confirm the names of the teams to go with that list already posted.....

bob

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
ok I went to that site, and I have read the standing for the past month....and I am wondering how they call each team...it seems they have a GENERAL area they are from, then there is a more specific area, and then there is the name of the club....but I think they are interchanging how they call a team...when they list the teams......the san fransisco team is the gigantes?...right..does that mean the GIANTS....and if so why dont they call the Licey team the TIGERS instead of LICEY...which from what i understand is an area of Santo Domingo....I know there is a team called the LEONES...and team that is called Tornos, or TOROS....and i think the Santiago --is Agulas...are called the Cibenos...did I spell that right.
so if someone can confirm the names of the teams to go with that list already posted.....

bob

Los Leones del Escogido, the chosen ones are based in SD.

Las Aguilas Cibae?as - LAS AGUILAS SON LAS AGUILAS, RECONTRACO?AZO!!!!!

Tidbits from the "Did you know?" dept.:

Did you know that several stars from Las Estrellas were once put in jail by Ramfis Trujillo prior to playoff games?

-The Kid

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Gigantes - San Francisco de Macoris
Aguilas - Santiago
Licey - Santo Domingo
Estrellas - San Pedro de Macoris
Azucareros - La Romana
Escogido - Santo Domingo
Assuming the standing don't change, Azucareros and Escogido won't make the playoffs and there will be playoff games played in Santiago, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macoris, and San Pedro de Macoris.

Sep 19, 2005
whats the playoff format...best of three or best of 5 or best of 7.........................anybody got any fedback on the names of the teams, that i asked about before?

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
whats the playoff format...best of three or best of 5 or best of 7...
Assuming it's the same format as last year, the top four tems play in the first round (semifinals) of the playoffs. Last year it was a round-robin format where each team plays 18 games.

The top two teams advanced to the second round (finals) which was a best of nine series.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
1-8 against Ugly-las..doesn't matter how you start, it's how you finish..

as far as championships the last 8 champions are split 4-4...Licey and Ugly-las with Licey the current champs.

get back to me when your team wins....

Last edited: