official opening of el catey airport, samana

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
is the opening this week? or was it over the weekend (dec 9th??). anybody going? please post some photos. thanks.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
no, i know all about this old stuff and that planes have been flying for a few weeks now. i am talking about official opening with president etc. if anybody is going (or gone in case it already took place), then please post some photos.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Postponed

Official inauguration postponed due to President's schedule....now slated for January at a yet to be determined date.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Stop-over at AZS

Official inauguration postponed due to President's schedule....now slated for January at a yet to be determined date.

That's good.

Today's Condor flight from FRA (ETA 20:55) could not make a stop-over landing at AZS.
Reason given: technical problems at the airport...
PAX waiting at AZS had to go to POP by taxi to catch DE 2249 back home...

m'frog

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Right

The VOR and DME have been giving problems at AZS and thus the landing at POP. That is a DGAC problem with the equipment and technicians. Pax were bussed back and forth - those to POP stay there, those to AZS get bussed back over. Very unfortunate the gov't doesn't fix the navaids problems. Not new, but ongoing. Perhaps they'll wake up one day? Priorities, knowhow and $$.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
The VOR and DME have been giving problems at AZS and thus the landing at POP. That is a DGAC problem with the equipment and technicians. Pax were bussed back and forth - those to POP stay there, those to AZS get bussed back over. Very unfortunate the gov't doesn't fix the navaids problems. Not new, but ongoing. Perhaps they'll wake up one day? Priorities, knowhow and $$.

Thanks tflea,

I was waiting for your explanation.

WebDev

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Back in service

Navaids now back in service (for now) at AZS as of 2 p.m. today.

bryanb

Dec 30, 2005
Not knowing much about the Samana Area, wouldn't this new airport have new equipment? If that's the case, I'm surprised that there would be issues with it so soon.

Or was this reused equipment?

Oh well, it's open again, and I just hope it remains open for my flights in February.