Environmental Responsibility in the DR

Which name do you like best for the "Clean Sosua/Cabarete Plan"?

• The Sosua to Cabarete Clean Team (SCCT)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • The Green Coast Association (GCA)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Green Coast (GC)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • North Coast Neighborhood Cleanup (NCNC)

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Help us decide the best name for our "clean Sosua/Cabarete" plan. Which name do you like best?

A. The Sosua to Caberate Clean Team (SCCT)
Equipo de Limpieza Sosua/Cabarete

B. The Green Coast Association (GCA)
Asociaci?n de la Costa Verde

C. Green Coast (GC)
Costa Verde

D. North Coast Neighborhood Cleanup (NCNC)
Limpieza de Vecindarios de la Costa Norte

For more insight into this topic, please visit the following thread (notice: the thread that follows the link has been locked so any new comments will not be accepted):

Help Us Clean Up Sosua/Cabarete

-NALs

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
With all respect due to seasoned DR1ers from relative newbie, don't you think that naming association in English would immediately label it as "gringo" effort and discourage (at least to some degree) so much needed support from locals?

That being said, Limpieza de Vecindarios de la Costa Norte (LVCN) sound most appealing to me, for whatever it worth.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
With all respect due to seasoned DR1ers from relative newbie, don't you think that naming association in English would immediately label it as "gringo" effort and discourage (at least to some degree) so much needed support from locals?
Absolutely, although I don't think any seasoned expats are suggesting it should be in English, quite the contrary.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Spanish And English

Spanish and English as hoilday makers probley wont understand spanish and people from sosua and cabarete wont understand english thats my 2 cents worth

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
While at least the initial funding appears it will come from 'gringos', some of the talk in another thread was to have Dominican faces leading the charge for the local community involvement. I've seen few 'gringo only' or 'gringo led' endeavors thrive in DR, but if you partner with the right local people you have a shot for success (not to mention their ability to manipulate the system and other Dominicans much more effectively than we ever could).

When you get your initial team assembled, ask them for ideas. They'll know what's catchy en espanol. It will also give them a 'sense of ownership' and involvement. We often had contests in Santiago for naming projects or slogans, as well as designing logos. People really like to get involved in this.

That's not saying you hand the decisions over to them, but get them involved even if you're gently nudging them toward the result you want.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I want to change my vote.

I didn't see the translation to spanish. I thought 4 sounded good in English but I don't like it in Spanish...so I want to throw my vote to 3. Costa Verde is simple, short, and easy to relate to. Can I change vote?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Lee...I suggest that you not be inflexible with this naming process. Because I have 2 other names that I believe may tie it all together. But I would like to hear an accurate translation to Spanish.

Green Coast CleanUp Association
Asociaci?n de Limpieza la Costa Verde

North Coast CleanUp Association
Asociaci?n de Limpieza la Norte Verde

as someone had pointed out....do they know what Green means?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Lee...I suggest that you not be inflexible with this naming process. Because I have 2 other names that I believe may tie it all together. But I would like to hear an accurate translation to Spanish.

Green Coast CleanUp Association
Asociaci?n de Limpieza la Costa Verde

North Coast CleanUp Association
Asociaci?n de Limpieza la Norte Verde

as someone had pointed out....do they know what Green means?

Please go to:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/57030-trash-solution-cabarete-sosua.html

I posted an update and our initial goals here. Please make any comments in this thread.

Regards,
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.