baseball game atmosphere suitable for COOL toddler??

borruga

Aug 26, 2004
I have no clue about baseball (I'm european and those few years living in the US only made me realize what a odd game this is), nonetheless can I enjoy a fun moment among a crowd who's in good spirits caused by a team sports event. so therefore I eventually want to finally make it to a game this month, either of the Estrellas or the Azucareros in San Pedro or La Romana respectively.

Now, assuming that there will be heavy drinking and knowing how this can get..., what is the gringo view on taking my 3-year-old son to the game? We will be with a group of Dominicans, and neither of us is easily scared, and we're quite used to many aspects of Dominican life.
I'm not so much concerned about the crowd's agitation, just wanna be sure I kind of have an option of heading towards the aisles and exits, if my son should get uncomfortable. so the question is more of infrastructural nature on how the stadiums are built, any recommendation whether La Romana or San Pedro stadium is better?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lots of kids go to games. Sit inthe PALCO section. Better class of people, generally speaking, that is...

HB

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i have experienced more fun at ball games in the DR than here in the US. it's a real fun night out..enjoy !!!

I am American. I live in NY State, but I also live in the DR in San Pedro de Macoris. I have taken my children to many Estrellas games. As everyone has probably told you already, you can get easily spoiled by watching baseball in the DR, as it makes watching games here in the States boring. I have never had any problems concerning my kids attending the games. They have as much fun as the adults.

C

Chip00

Que si!

I don't know how it is in La Romana but as a gringo that has been going to a few games this season in Santiago I can say that although the Dominicans are quite more energetic they get no more or less drunk than from what I remember people did when going to the minor league games with my Dad back home. I usually sit in the bleachers "wit' 'dem comun foke" too like I did back home. They also have a substantial police presence here in Santiago and I even feel relatively safe leaving after the game after 11:30 (in my jipeta of course).

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
heh..sounds safter than a red sox fan going to yankee stadium LOL...or a pats fan going to see the jets!

Have never been able to catch domincan beisbol myself (as i usualy have to wait for my tax returns for $$ to travel).

Sep 19, 2005
I went to two.... and it was a very good crowd.....no rowdy people at all....we were in the front sections both games... and there were plenty of kids...you saw many when the camera panned the crowd and they showed it up on the big screen in center field... the camera loves little kids and pretty girls

this guy in the blue was a magician....he loved doing stuff for any kids he could find... he made the crowd laugh a lot.....except like right when this picture was taken and someone drove a double into right field... ha ha ha
435dsb8.jpg

bob

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Safer than Fenway

I'd bring my kids (if I could find them all) to a DR game with far less hesitation than I would to Fenway or Yankee Stadium - perhaps anywhere on the East coast shy of St. Petersburg.

I think Dominicans are more aware of - and more respectful of - the young that are around them in these circumstances. Plus, unless you speak really good (bad) spanish, I doubt you'll be picking up most of what they're saying anyway.

Don't worry about it at all, I'm sure it will be a thrill. Outrageous fanaticos, outrageous excitement, regardless of what team you're pulling for.

Ohhh, and the cheerleaders....mmmmmmmm

Play ball.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and i love the girls dancing on the dugouts between the innings !!

3yocrhf.jpg

Last edited:

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
I am American. I live in NY State, but I also live in the DR in San Pedro de Macoris. I have taken my children to many Estrellas games. As everyone has probably told you already, you can get easily spoiled by watching baseball in the DR, as it makes watching games here in the States boring. I have never had any problems concerning my kids attending the games. They have as much fun as the adults.

Hey Steve, I totally agree. SPM is a great place to take kids to watch baseball. And I have been forever spoiled by my front row seats at Las Estrellas game! The atmosphere is much better than MLB could ever come up with!

Jess:cheeky:

borruga

Aug 26, 2004
thanks for the positive advice. what good fun we had! although the game was terrible... Estrellas lost to the Azucareros!! atmosphere awesome, me and toddler superhappy!

and also from a girl's perspective: gotta give it up to the bailarinas!