Cell phone question.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Hi I am planning to buy a cell phone here in the U.S to send to a relative in D.R. It seems cheaper if I buy a cell phone with a pay as you go plan than the cell phone buy itself with no contract. My question is, would a pay as you phone works in D.R. ? Would she be able to activate it there? regardless, Anyone knows.

Thanks

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
I have a phone from cingular wireless and it worked fine in the DR. It cost me astronomically to make a call there though. So you might have to figure out how to get the phone activated under the wireless plans that are available in the DR. You don't want to end up paying roaming charges for every call she makes from the cell. I would say you should go for a verizon phone--it might make dealing with customer service a little easier for you since you will have access to them here in the states.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Just buy an unlocked tri or quad band phone, send it to the DR and Orange or Verizon will set it up for you. I prefer quad band gsm phones for Orange pre-paid. Tiger direct have tons of cheap unlocked phones with no contract.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
OK, but the phone is going to be meant for activation in D.R. I am considering buying the verizon ones. She is going to activate in D.R with verizon down there. So if I buy the virizon pay as you go, ( I don't intend to use it in the U.S ) or the t-mobile, cingular, all I want to know if its going to work there, when its activated.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Just buy an unlocked tri or quad band phone, send it to the DR and Orange or Verizon will set it up for you. I prefer quad band gsm phones for Orange pre-paid. Tiger direct have tons of cheap unlocked phones with no contract.

Any Idea where I can purchase one?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I just came from the US; bought a Verizon phone from Ebay and got prepaid minutes here in Playero (Sosua), activated and works great - no problem.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I would say you should go for a verizon phone--it might make dealing with customer service a little easier for you since you will have access to them here in the states.
One would think that would be the case, but unfortunately Verizon in the states is clueless about Verizon in the DR.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
One would think that would be the case, but unfortunately Verizon in the states is clueless about Verizon in the DR.

Last time I checked Verizon in the states, unlike Cingular and T-mobile, won't unlock their phones.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Verizon's network is CDMA technology in the US, there is nothing to "unlock".
Cingular and T-mobile are GSM technology and need to be unlocked before using on Orange Dominicana.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
last time i bought a phone fomr the Supermercado in sosua. got it activated for 90 days. it's going to be my DR phone whenever i go visit...