How to Quickly and Cheaply Get to Semana Christmas Day or after

indanile

Dec 13, 2006
Hi, I am looking to book a flight from Washington DC to DR around Xmas time, returning New Years Eve. (I know, I know!) My ultimate goal is to get to Samana as quickly (and cheaply???) as possible. I am trying to figure out if it's easier to travel from SD or from Punta Cana. I know it's gonna be more pricey than I'd like but it will be worth it! Any suggestions on bus routes from these airports, and on places to stay on the Peninsula. I hope to stay some where comfortable and with some personality. A town and place that are not too crowded, not too too remote.
Any info would help! Thanks, Natasha

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi, I am looking to book a flight from Washington DC to DR around Xmas time, returning New Years Eve. (I know, I know!) My ultimate goal is to get to Samana as quickly (and cheaply???) as possible. I am trying to figure out if it's easier to travel from SD or from Punta Cana. I know it's gonna be more pricey than I'd like but it will be worth it! Any suggestions on bus routes from these airports, and on places to stay on the Peninsula. I hope to stay some where comfortable and with some personality. A town and place that are not too crowded, not too too remote.
Any info would help! Thanks, Natasha
A lot easier from SDQ or STI, than PUJ.
BTW: It's called, La Samana.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'm sure you can get a flight on Spirit to STI or PUJ. i believe they fly out of Reagan. i normally fly out of Baltimore on continental or american airlines. i think there is also JetBlue out of Dulles.

look on the other threads about getting from the airport to La Samana..

good luck !!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
STI (Santiago) has no direct bus service to Samana that is EASY enough for most tourists to navigate. Usually our guests have us arrange a private taxi pickup. Also, any late afternoon or night arrivals such as the Jet Blue NYC flight that arrives at 2:30am DEFINATELY requires private pickup. I usually advise Santo Domingo over Santiago for these reasons although it's a little longer to Samana. Caribe Tours has good service from Santo Domingo and is much easier for a stranger to navigate.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
BTW: It's called, La Samana.

Usually just Saman?. The city's full name is Santa Barbara de Saman? and the province is simply Saman?. You might also hear "La peninsula de Saman?" - the Samana peninsula.

indanile

Dec 13, 2006
Thanks for the advice! I ended up booking my ticket into SD and am hoping to make the last bus to Samana on the 26th. Still haven't decided where on the peninsula to stay so suggestions welcome. By the way, what are the options of travel out of Samana? How often do the buses depart for SD?
I'm looking forward to visiting, hope not everywhere is booked....