Residential Hispaniola

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Possibly i'm missing something here, so I would appreciate feedback from the masses.
I had intention and the ability to buy a lot in the new Residential Hispaniola. Upon speaking to Werner this afternoon, I was informed that he would not sell to me because I use Julio Brea as my closing attorney.
Residential Hispaniola appears to be an up and coming gated developement in Sosua. Home contruction must begin before December, 2007. Werner must be the builder. Since it is Werner's developement, and he can set the regulations and ground rules, I can work within these confines. What I find odd is that title is not delivered to the buyer until the keys are handed over even though draws are made at regular intervals for the contsruction. So what is there to protect the buyer in case of a suit against Werner, his untimely death etc? He said he had invested "millions" of his own money in the project and was not about to walk away and that he had been in the area for 22 years. So I replied that I had been here 16 years, had never heard anything derogatory about him, but at the same time preferred to protect my interests. I asked if the land was free and clear of all encumbrances and he said yes. But upon further discussion, he said it was a partnership with the land owner who gets 50% of the land sales.
Now I know that things don't work here like they do in other places. I am also aware that as the developer, he can regulate to whatever place he wants.
I am seeing absolute protection for him with essentially nothing for the buyer except his good name which I am not calling into question, but at the same time, I don't believe in Santa Claus.
So my question is, have I become too jaded with the way things work in DR? Is this just a simple "leap of faith" I should take without hesitation? Is it time for a reality check for me?
Thank you in advance.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Reputation is all well and good, but at the end of the day you need to protect yourself legally and be able to sleep at night :)
Why wouldn't he work with Julio Brea, I hear only good things about Julio?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I asked Werner and he would not say. I will ask Julio Brea later today. I completely agree on being able to sleep at night and having a comfortable feeling with all situations.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I agree with Robert,
You should be free to use whatever lawyer you like. Some lawyers on the north coast area, are more dilligent than others and Sr Guzman's firm is one of them. I don't like anyone telling me what lawyer to use! There's always a reason.
The land partnership is quite normal e.g. Strauss / Perdomo and Mulata, Lomas Miranos etc..