Our Cabarete trip

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Certainly an interesting trip report. There must be two places called Cabarete though, as yours isn't the same as the one I visit! Perhaps it's based upon expectations? I find the people generally very friendly and certainly would disagree with you regarding advice to learn Spanish before staying there. I don't speak anything beyond, please, thank you and hello. But I find a smile and a bright cheery 'hola', makes a follow up much easier in English. I've also not had a problem with the porters... I just say "no gascious" (I spell Spanish even less than I speak it?) "We spent nearly $40 in tips at the airport when leaving because they kept grabbing our bags and we couldn?t fend them off fast enough" $40!! How many bags did you have? At a dollar a bag, you must have been loaded down! And "I?m not into doing full restaurant reviews but I do want to mention a few things. All of the reviews we read about Jose O?Shay?s are true. It?s an expensive tourist trap, but if you long to catch some good old American football, this is the place. If you?d like to avoid $45 lunches, steer clear." A $45 lunch? From memory, the 'really big' burger was about RD$260, that's about $8? The tortilla with chese, chilli, dips etc is about that price but fees two easily. So for a balanced view, it might be worth pointing out that $45 is if two of you eat the most expensive things on the menu and have a few beers, it might be $45 (about RD$600 for a pound of shrimps?) Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about it being a tourist trap and that area of the beach isn't the cheapest, but it's not fair to give the impression that a burger & chips ("lunch") will be $45 IMO. And it's a great place to watch "real" football (that's the one you guys call 'soccer'!)

PS I agree with you about the bites. I *think* they are sand flies more than mozzies, although there are a fair few of them in some parts. Don't know how the little buggers fly with so much of my blood in them!

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I too was surprised at the depth of feeling on the part of these visitors. On the other hand, I cannot imagine how badly they were screwed over by the maleteros, for example. 40 pesos would have been getting off easy, but $40 !! That sounds almost like criminal extortion or total misunderstanding or....

With all due respect, there is something that doesn't ring true in some of these examples. I don't get it.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
either they were tipping WAY too much, or they were ripped off and didn't check, or they exagerate somewhat.

$40 in tips at the airport is barking mad.

Perhaps they need to learn the Spanish for 'no'?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
When we go back, My wife takes back 150 lbs of coffee. I know it's a lot but all the family and friends ask for it. Anyway The 4 bags are really heavy so i give the porters $8-10 USD. I don't want to lift there. We live in Cabarete. The report is what you make of it. We've been riped off in Sousa, because we were domb. We have also gone to tourist traps, but we knew it. O'shey's is expensive but the tell you the prices outside. On the whole Cabarete is friendly and safe. We've been in the States and had problems. I think if you don't travel much, you sometimes don't understand what's going on. Sorry about the spelling, I'm just not good at it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
As for the diving, one must realize that they are diving in the Atlantic, in winter so shouldn't expect much.
A more knowledgeable diver would head for the Carribean where the water is warmer, calmer, more reefs and coral and fish to be seen , not to mention unbelievable clarity. There are also many more dive sites including numerous wrecks as well as caves and caverns for those interested in such.
A well worded post on this board BEFOREHAND would have garnered tons of pertinent info for the poster BEFORE they planned their off AI experience.

There is a reason Caberete is a well known KITE SURFING beach......might have something to do with the wind and the waves (not really condusive to good diving!!). As Sosua is nearby I'm sure the same factors come into play there. Also the fact that it is on the NORTH coast next to mountains guaantees more 'rain' days with poor visibility.

To poorly plan an adventure then blame the location and the locals for a lack of satisfaction in the outcomes shows a persons lack of knowledge and foresight.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Quote "We were at leat a foot taller than any Dominican we saw" While it is true that many Dominicans are short, there are certainly many 6 feet and taller. Perhaps it was your superior attitude that made your Altitude seem higher. Unquote
I think that your impressions, after all they are yours, are not inaccurate. I could concur with many of them. I've have seen Dominicans unfriendly looking in some places, but found the majority very friendly. Also in Tourist areas you will be taken advantage of, if you let them.
My wife, who is Dominican, has a harder time saying no to porters, vendors...etc, than I do, BUT she can do it with a smile, a joke...etc. I've found that food/drink prices are reasonable. Buying a meal a beer in many states or provinces is much more expensive.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Quote "We were at leat a foot taller than any Dominican we saw" While it is true that many Dominicans are short, there are certainly many 6 feet and taller. Perhaps it was your superior attitude that made your Altitude seem higher.

Yeah. And they probably wanted everyone to be kissing their feet and that is why they found the Dominican people to be so cold. ha ha hah a :confused:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
To poorly plan an adventure then blame the location and the locals for a lack of satisfaction in the outcomes shows a persons lack of knowledge and foresight.

The OP claimed to have done much research prior to their trip. Unfortunately the OP didn't reach out to DR1 for info.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm going to defend the original poster to a limited degree. Their description of the airport process, El Magnifico, Cabarete's streets, restaurants and beach were pretty accurate and I think perhaps typical of what one notices on a first visit.

Based on that and the effort taken to give a comprehensive report I'm sure that everything else was written up exactly as they experienced it - the good and the bad. Even the description of the dive boat, while not what they expected or wanted - they admit turned into a good experience as they learned how to put on their gear in the water. That indicates some good faith in the report.

They just seem a little overwhelmed by the whole 'in a foreign country' experience.

The AI's may have suited them better, as they appeared to be looking for more typically 'American' standards. For example, I don't expect A/C anywhere but the bedrooms. The nicest (and I mean multi-million dollar) homes that I've been to in DR are often open to the outdoors and air conditioned only in the bedrooms. It's one of the joys of Caribbean living.

Security issues also seem to bother them. Leaving my gear in a place designated by the dive company would not have worried me - even though they describe it as not very secure. But that comes with understanding how things work in DR and judging what is an acceptable risk.

I suspect a little hand holding from someone that knew the ropes would have given them much needed clues on how to relate to the people, locate good less expensive restaurants, and how not to be intimidated by vendors, porters, etc. (with a little knowledge, they would've realized under 100 pesos to carry their bags would have been fine - I upped the figure since they seem to have scuba equipment)

So, while I recognize and understand everything they describe - I realize how much they seemed to miss in the whole experience. I just can't quite figure out whether to say 'good riddance' or 'come back and try again'!

lbraska

Sep 18, 2005
In Nov of 05, I made my first trip to the DR. It was also my first trip out of the United States. I am a single female 36 and traveled alone. I also did much research: read all the travel books, read all l could find on the internet, I read this forum almost daily and I studied a Spanish tape and book. Let me be clear that my Spanish is still very very minimal. I am just offering my experience in case someone is planning a trip and would like another view.
When I arrived at the Puerto Plata airport, I had read all about the porters and knew they wouldn't get me. Wrong, those guys are quick. I laughed all the way to cab and was still smilling when I handed over that tip. Which was not $40 by the way. And yes they got me going home too, but this time I let them. It was hot and I was tired.
My hotel also sent a cab driver, mine spoke pretty good English and had all kinds of info to share.
I knew I wanted a small non AI hotel, and after much research I settled on Villa Taina. Yes it does seem to be a bit more expensive than some by DR standards anyway, not Florida standards. But for me it was well worth it. very clean, ultra modern toilets and I felt very very safe.
I took many tours, even went to all way to Haiti and never felt unwelcome by the locals. I can tell you if that big truck rolled through my queit neighborhood everyday I wouldn't be friendly.
I took a trip on a "very fast speedboat" which turned out to be a small skiff with a big Yamaha motor. We went to Paridise Island, which reallly is a sandbar, but with cute tiki huts, rum and crystal clear water. I had the best time. I still smile everytime a hear about a very fast boat.
I also waited for my check a couple times before I realized you must ask for it. I am not sure why anyone would wait them out.
I ate La Casita (twice) Yes the menu is Spanish but it is also very limited so with a quick check of a dicitonary you can order without any problems.
Jose O'Shay's is a great place to watch American football and they clearly post their prices. I found the staff friendly as well.
I think we can all agree the beach venders are a pain, but after a few
no gracias they tend to remember you and give up. The street freaked me out at first. But I learned to smile hola, no gracias and keep moving.
I also noticed the noise, everyone honks! But what stuck with more is that music is everywhere and such a big part of the lives of people. It was wonderful.
I had no problems on my limited Spanish and in truth never needed it, but when I would explain that I was trying to learn I got lots of help from some very patient people. I found that if you friendly most people are back, even the vendors. And most are very happy to tell you about themselves, their families and there country you just have to take the time to listen and you can learn so much.
Did I enjoy my trip? More than I can tell you. Would I go back in? In 44 day I will be making my third trip back.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
lbraska,
that's the spirit!!
you saw and experienced the same things the OP did... you just knew how to savor it.

regarding waiting on the check - one gets used to taking a couple of hours for dinner with friends. it's nice to be able to feel you 'own' the table and aren't being rushed.

adjusting back to the assembly line efficiency in the u.s. is difficult. drink & appetizer order when you sit, salad before appetizers done, entre arrives right after salad and then on top of you with the check. it's very apparent that it's all about turning the table quickly and seating the next paying customer.

lbraska

Sep 18, 2005
I agree and I will admit it took me a couple of days to learn how to slow down. And it took me a couple of days when I got home to pick up the pace again. 44 more days till that wonderful slower pace.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
The last time I went through the maletero wars (outgoing) at POP, I happened to have two baseballs left in my knapsack. Before all my DR trips I buy good, but not wildly expensive, baseballs (6 to 12 of them) and give them out to kids. I had two left and after dropping my guard at the inspection table and finding two maleteros to fend off, I just reached in the bag and gave them each one baseball. Instead of a fuming ugly scene, it was a laugh riot and they went away happy. But $40--that's a bad situation.

cork2win

Jun 15, 2006
Ok folks, a trip review is exactly that... MY VIEWS on OUR TRIP. I'm sorry that some of you don't like what I have to say but they are still my views and they are valid. This was not a poorly planned trip. I'd spent MONTHS researching the place, including spending plenty of time here on DR1. Unfortunately there are so many posters here that will defend to the death how great the place is that it seems a certain amount of objectivity gets lost, making truthful research somewhat difficult.

The $40 at the airport was not an exaggeration. We had 4 bags (two luggage, two scuba). By the time we reached the airport we were out of pesos and small bills, so we were tipping $5 because it was all we had. Word got out that we were tipping $5 and every porter for miles seemed to run at us trying to grab our bags. There were at least two of them each time our bags were grabbed and they were grabbed a minimum of 3 times. I might be $10 off. Was this our fault? Yes, we should have planned better and had smaller bills, but we didn't because we didn't know what to expect. That still doesn't change the fact that there was no saying "no" to them and we spent a ton at the airport, something other travelers might want to be aware of. I suppose we could have just not tipped them, but then we'd be those a$$hole Americans.

I clearly state in my review that we didn't go to the DR specifically for diving and that we knew ahead of time that diving wasn't going to be great, but we were never under the impression it was going to be as bad as it was. I attribute this lack of truthful information to the fact that those in charge of diving in the DR don't want word to get out that diving pretty much sucks there (on the North coast), at least in winter, because they still want people to come and try. I owed it to the diving public to post an honest review about the diving.

I also am not quite sure about why there is so much hostility in response to my report. We didn't care much for our trip. I'm sorry so many of you love it and we didn't, but we all don't like the same things. You can read a million reviews from people that go to AIs in the DR and read the same dribble over and over. I felt an honest report from two fairly normal travelers about a non-AI experience was due. I don't see how an observation that the people we encountered were not as friendly as we expected can be viewed as "blaming the locals", but whatever. Since returning from our trip we've heard from a lot of people who had reactions very similar to ours. Obviously we're one of the few honest enough to post them.

Your comments "Perhaps it was your superior attitude that made your Altitude seem higher." and "Yeah. And they probably wanted everyone to be kissing their feet and that is why they found the Dominican people to be so cold. ha ha hah" are completely out of line and childish. Our comment was simply to show that it was pretty obvious that we were tourists in the area, our height among other things, making us stand out in the crowd, which undoubtedly made us targets for those who would take advantage of tourists. The only superior attitude I see is from those here who think the DR is paradise and treat anyone else who doesn't see it that way as an elitist jackass.

As for the diving, one must realize that they are diving in the Atlantic, in winter so shouldn't expect much.
A more knowledgeable diver would head for the Carribean where the water is warmer, calmer, more reefs and coral and fish to be seen , not to mention unbelievable clarity. There are also many more dive sites including numerous wrecks as well as caves and caverns for those interested in such.
A well worded post on this board BEFOREHAND would have garnered tons of pertinent info for the poster BEFORE they planned their off AI experience.

There is a reason Caberete is a well known KITE SURFING beach......might have something to do with the wind and the waves (not really condusive to good diving!!). As Sosua is nearby I'm sure the same factors come into play there. Also the fact that it is on the NORTH coast next to mountains guaantees more 'rain' days with poor visibility.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
...a certain amount of objectivity gets lost, making truthful research somewhat difficult...

The $40 at the airport was not an exaggeration. We had 4 bags (two luggage, two scuba). By the time we reached the airport we were out of pesos and small bills, so we were tipping $5 because it was all we had. Word got out that we were tipping $5 and every porter for miles seemed to run at us trying to grab our bags. There were at least two of them each time our bags were grabbed and they were grabbed a minimum of 3 times. I might be $10 off. Was this our fault? Yes, we should have planned better and had smaller bills, but we didn't because we didn't know what to expect. That still doesn't change the fact that there was no saying "no" to them and we spent a ton at the airport, something other travelers might want to be aware of. I suppose we could have just not tipped them, but then we'd be those a$$hole Americans.

...Since returning from our trip we've heard from a lot of people who had reactions very similar to ours. Obviously we're one of the few honest enough to post them.

"a certain amount of objectivity gets lost, making truthful research somewhat difficult"

But with all due respect, where is your objectivity in your review?

You said avoid O' Shays unless you want to spend $45 on lunch. But, as I pointed out, $45 is the most expensive thing on the menu and a few beers. You can eat much cheaper there if you eat burgers etc. Most people think of 'burgers' etc as 'lunch'. Lunch for two including a drink can be about $20. If you go at 'happy hour' it's remarkably cheap.

Now you've explained how you came to tip $40 at the airport, 'by giving out $5 bills' because you didn't have anything less. Wouldn't that be an important part of your review? So you tipped eight people far more than you should is different to the mental image of a scrum of porters all being given $1 each! So the advice is to learn from your mistake and have some $1 bills with you, then, even an 'expensive' run of tips will be $8. That is objective & fair.

I still don't know why you tell people to learn Spanish. I don't speak any Spanish and I've never had a problem in Cabarete.

You hated your holiday. That's a shame, obviously most people on here love the place, hence posting on this forum. But please don't think that 'simply' posting the opposite of what others think makes you more 'honest'.

Where next for you guys? I'd advise that you avoid Cuba & Vietnam because I love both of those places too... so you won't like them!;)

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
The wife and I had lunch at O' Shays when we were staying in Cabarete last April and I don't think the bill was over $20US - and that was with a couple beers. And we certainly had a full meal.

Much to the charaign of other members, I'd recommend staying at an AI resort the first couple times - especially if it's your first trip out of the country. The differences in culture can turn a great experience into one like what was posted.

I certainly want to "experience more" myself, but I like doing it from a "safe base" for the time being. Jump in with both feet and closed eyes, and the log just under the surface will give you a big surprise.

I'm sorry you got taken advantage of so badly at the airport. Unfortunately, the sharks are there because people like you get suckered into it. I got nailed on my first trip, but I haven't been bothered by it at all on the two trips I've done since.

As the TV says - "The More you know..." Give the DR a second chance - now that you know better, you could probably make a fantastic trip out of the next one.

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
I think Cork2win gave what they felt was an honest write-up of their experience and it should be taken as that. By their own admission, although they felt they had done research, it was their first trip out of the U.S. I think that many travellers do research but you don't always get a true flavor for the culture of the people until you are there which is why I agree with the previous poster that it might not be a bad idea for a first time visitor to stay at an AI and branch out from there. I've read trip reviews from first time visitors to NYC who complain about the aggressiveness of New Yorkers, the traffic and noise in mid town Manhattan, etc. Hello Dorothy but this is not Kansas. If you go to England you understand that they eat dinner later than the U.S. or in Spain that they eat breakfast later. If you stay at an apartment hotel like El Magnifico it should be no surprise that their is only air conditioning in the bedrooms because in the DR it is not unusual for apartments to be built with only air conditioning in the bedrooms. If you are expecting quick service in every restaurant you are going to be disappointed. From my experience, if a Dominican says he'll be with you soon that could mean minutes, hours or days later. There are cultures that require negotiating everything and others that the prices are fixed, take it or leave it. The DR has its own wonderful culture which is not for everyone. I believe with all its faults, it is truly a special place but again it is not for everyone. When someone is handing out $5 tips at the airport which is about 50% of what a construction worker makes in a day in the DR I'm surprised they made it out of the airport.

Last edited: