Dominicans vs. Japanese

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What a difference between the acquisition of Japanese players vs. Dominicans.

The Red Sox/Mariners/Devil Rays, etc. have paid Japanese teams millions of dollars for the right to sign one of their players.

Imagine the comparables between teams signing Tejada, Ortiz or any of the other stars that play for Dominican teams.

Considering the stature of each country's leagues, it's apples and oranges, but the quantity is similarly opposed as well. 1000's of Dominicans vs. a dozen or so Japanese.

Just a thought.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
at this point in time i believe japanese players are really hot because of the world classic and their proven ability in the major leagues. the time is coming for the dominican players just be patient....

C

Chip00

The Red Sox/Mariners/Devil Rays, etc. have paid Japanese teams millions of dollars for the right to sign one of their players.

Imagine the comparables between teams signing Tejada, Ortiz or any of the other stars that play for Dominican teams.

Considering the stature of each country's leagues, it's apples and oranges, but the quantity is similarly opposed as well. 1000's of Dominicans vs. a dozen or so Japanese.

Just a thought.

First of all you can't really compare the two scenarios. Why? Well for one let's just say that Licey or the Aguilas had some great player under contract, how much do you think they would sell out for? The Japanese market is a lot more robust than the Dominican market and thus a prized player will demand more money. The reality as I understand it from talking to the people here and seeing the system is that the US Major League teams here recruit very aggresively DIRECTLY with the players or their agents. Who do you think a Dominican kid is going to want to sign with? A local team that will pay him PEANUTS compared to what he would get in the states - yeah right! It is every Dominicans dream to play in the States. In fact, most if not all of the players that play in the Dominican league have cocurrent contracts to play or have played in the States.

As far as the comment from Kyle as to when Dominican players will get their due... Matsuzaka will get 8.7M a year but what Manny making 18.2M, or Pedro at 14.9 or Pujols at 14.0M? In fact if you include A-Rod at 21.7M there area a total of 5 Dominican players in the top 5 as far as salary goes. Only one Japanese makes the list and he's in last place. This Matsuzaka doesn't even rate an honorable mention! Check out the following link and see for yourself.

USATODAY.com

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Nothing to it ...

1000's of Dominicans vs. a dozen or so Japanese.

Just a thought.
Japanese players are paid well in Japan and enjoy similar privileges accorded to their MLB peers in America. So, they're not driven by economics to play in America while Dominican players are eager to play in America to significantly improve their economic position.

As far as I know there're less than 20 Japanese players in MLB but I think Dominicans comprise the largest number of foreign born players ... abundant supply drives the price down.

Some thoughts are best kept to oneself ;)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
points well taken but can you tell me how many dominicans play in japan ? there are quite a few americans playing in japan so hence so much hype when japanese players are recruited to America. they have a better rapport. japanese players are not dying to have the us passport, dominicans are. additionally, noone paid 51 million to recruit a dominican player did they ?
hmmm my info only shows 2 dominicans in the top 10. m ordonez is from venezuela.

plz get your info right before you speak !!

USATODAY.com

Last edited:
C

Chip00

points well taken but can you tell me how many dominicans play in japan ? there are quite a few americans playing in japan so hence so much hype when japanese players are recruited to America. they have a better rapport. japanese players are not dying to have the us passport, dominicans are. additionally, noone paid 51 million to recruit a dominican player did they ?
hmmm my info only shows 2 dominicans in the top 10. m ordonez is from venezuela.

plz get your info right before you speak !!

USATODAY.com

FYI I said there were 5 Dominicans in the top 25, not top 10. The point I'm trying to make is that the Dominicans don't have to await to "arrive", they've been here for some time. Again, there is only one Japanese in the top 25 of salaries and 5 Dominicans. Also, rest be assured if Pedro Martinez or Bartolo Colon were in the Japanese league the American teams would pay equal to what was recently paid.

C

Chip00

Correction for Kyle

My original post I meant to say "5 Dominicans in the top 25" instead of top 5. Sorry for the typo.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Japanese signings...means Dominican baseball academies are waste of time!!

But Chippo remember...it's not what those Dominican players are getting now, it's how much you get from the beginning!:ermm: ...those players you mentioned, with exception of A-Rod, were paid peanuts...from the beginning! with many hours of minor league garbage games...I've yet to see a veteran player who has just played in a Dominican winter ball or a Dominican who has played in Japan sign for a major multi year deal:speechles , and go directly in starting rotation, with heavy perks, massive media attention, and major signing bonus, plus endorsements:surprised ...Dominican players will always be looked at from the beginning as cheap labor:disappoin , regardless of there talents...aybar contracts are rare, but if you want a japanese player your going to have to shell out some serious BLING!:smoke:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
exactly daddy, could have not said it better. it's a question of BLING vs CHING-A-LING. japanese players make more in their country in one year than dominicans make in their lifetime. you could make better money being a motoconcho driver or a sankie...

Last edited:
C

Chip00

Absolutely

exactly daddy, could have not said it better. it's a question of BLING vs CHING-A-LING. japanese players make more in their country in one year than dominicans make in their lifetime. you could make better money being a motoconcho driver or a sankie...

Guys I'm not disputing the fact that the Japanese players make tons more than the Dominicans do here. That's easy to figure out why. One look at the GNP and the average wages of the two countries. Comparitively speaking Japan is a much richer country that the DR.

Also, this Jap. pitcher is not that young and already well established. He's in the free market and still is making a lot less than a lot of Dom. players in the big leagues THAT ARE FREE AGENTS.

You guys need to understand how things work in the major leagues. All new players that come up through the ranks are paid peanuts - that's why they are drafted. Ex. Justin Morneau and Ryan Howard, the two REINING MVP's made a combined salary of $740K, which is close to the min. salary, $317K. Once these guys are a free agent after the MANDATORY 5 years do you guys doubt they'll easily be making twice as much as the Jap. pitcher? I can assure you that Ryan Howard will be making at least 20M easily.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Guys I'm not disputing the fact that the Japanese players make tons more than the Dominicans do here. That's easy to figure out why. One look at the GNP and the average wages of the two countries. Comparitively speaking Japan is a much richer country that the DR.

Also, this Jap. pitcher is not that young and already well established. He's in the free market and still is making a lot less than a lot of Dom. players in the big leagues THAT ARE FREE AGENTS.

You guys need to understand how things work in the major leagues. All new players that come up through the ranks are paid peanuts - that's why they are drafted. Ex. Justin Morneau and Ryan Howard, the two REINING MVP's made a combined salary of $740K, which is close to the min. salary, $317K. Once these guys are a free agent after the MANDATORY 5 years do you guys doubt they'll easily be making twice as much as the Jap. pitcher? I can assure you that Ryan Howard will be making at least 20M easily.

(Absolutely not chip!!)
You guys need to understand how things work in the major leagues. All new players that come up through the ranks are paid peanuts....:surprised

you've just mentioned that peanuts are the equivalent of a six figure salary, Sammy, like Tejada, like many others....were paid between 1,500 and 3,500 dollars when signed to a minor league contract... do the research!....now a minor league contract for a Dominican prospect is a salary of about $500.00 a week to play in double A ball, while paying living expences in a small pleasanville town in rural America, with a 1,500 dollar signing bonus half of which goes to there buscon, and they have to except it, because family can't afford legal attorney, and the contracts are not even in spanish! when you are in those academies, you are sole property of that club which you serve, to them it's an honor that you are even there, they run these kids, and there money.:ermm:

now chipp your gettin inside information...I've played AA ball for 9 yrs for Atlanta braves I'm a current recruiter for the U.C.F. baseball in Orlando, I train ballplayers for Mr Modesto ulloa who is a scout in the island now...and my best friend is a scout for the Cinnci reds ball club....no matter how much money or talent there is out there, D.R. players are at the bottom of the food chain, even when American players are not signed they recieve scholarships, with a College education, then enter a draft with an agent, and signed for multi - year deals... :smoke:

C

Chip00

Reply to Daddy1

With all due respect, I was talking about the base salary for MAJOR LEAGUE PLAYERS, not MINOR league playes.

Comparing what minor league players make to what major league players make is comparing apples to oranges. Also, that fact that Dominicans aren't offered scholarships to UNIVERSITIES is irrevelant. Why, #1 universities are not affiliated with the MLB, #2 Dominican baseball players apparently don't know English well enough or don't have the grades to warrant interest from American universities. As far as Dominicans making less money than their peers in the minors you may be right - but that is not the subject of the this thread - it was why is this Jap. pitcher supposedly getting paid more than Dom. players. Sera bueno de investigar bien la tema del foro antes que hablar!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
undefeated in the world baseball classic (3-0), a "gyroball" and he's young.....

C

Chip00

Myth

undefeated in the world baseball classic (3-0), a "gyroball" and he's young.....

It appears from research that the "gyroball" is a myth - which is irrelevant cause this kid has got an arm of pure rubber.