Medical needs in LT?

jacobr

Oct 19, 2006
Folks - I'm traveling to LT next week on vacation with my family. I'm a family physician here in the US. So I deliver babies, do office surgery, care for kids & adults.

We discard expiring pharmaceutial samples every month - as well as surgial supplies, etc .. and I wonder if there is a clinic in LT that I might donate them to. I'd even be interested in visiting a clinic or two in the region to see if there are additional needs.

If anyone knows of a doctor or clinic that would benefit from this - please respond here or forward my e-mail address (jacobr___at ..... gmail dot com) or send me a name and phone number. Ideally - if there is a list of medications or supplies that would be desired - I could look for them - or reach out to local colleagues in order to find them.

Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where will you be staying on your vacation.

When I was living in Samana, groups of doctors would come every year to provide medical services and deliver supplies for use by the public hospital there. Public hospital are woefully short of supplies in this country. Many poor people do not get proper medical care because the hospital has no supplies and the people don't have the money to buy their own.

Wherever you will be, there will be a public hospital nearby and I am certain your gift of supplies will be welcome with open arms.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
There're a couple of good foundation in LT : Fundacion Dominico-Europea, FUndacion Mahatma Ghandi...

Go to LT7.com for more info...

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Medical needs Las Terrenas

Your offer is great !, The hospital in Las Terrenas has limited supplies.
There is Dr. Ceasar Rodriguez ( calle hospital ) and Dr. Polanco ( calle principal )
I have had experience with both and both would benefit with anything and everything you could bring down. There are more Doctors and clinics, foundations etc in Las Terrenas and all would appreciate what ever you brought down. As mentioned in previous post, you can find tel #'s in the LT-7 link. I'll try and respond with who would benefit most.
Thanks for the Thought !!
cg

bolivar_c

Oct 20, 2006
My dad got kicked in the leg by a horse last summer, and the gash was pretty deep. We took him to Doctor Polanco in Las Terrenas and he gave him 7 stiches and some antibiotics. The entire procedure went great, and the cut healed very well.

I don't know of any specific supllies that would be of assistance, but im sure he would appreciate any contributions.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Jacobr,

Welcome to DR1 and thank you for your generosity. If you aren't aware I wish to inform you that the public hospitals are basically free for the Dominicans but as mentioned they are always short on supplies which causes the patients to go out and buy said supplies. Private doctors and clinics are never free nor are their supplies.

If you should give anything to a private practice or clinic you are not really helping the population but rather the doctors enlarge their pockets.

I would suggest that you donate your material to public hospitals. My opinion.

Rick

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Folks - I'm traveling to LT next week on vacation with my family. I'm a family physician here in the US. So I deliver babies, do office surgery, care for kids & adults.

We discard expiring pharmaceutial samples every month - as well as surgial supplies, etc .. and I wonder if there is a clinic in LT that I might donate them to. I'd even be interested in visiting a clinic or two in the region to see if there are additional needs.

If anyone knows of a doctor or clinic that would benefit from this - please respond here or forward my e-mail address (jacobr___at ..... gmail dot com) or send me a name and phone number. Ideally - if there is a list of medications or supplies that would be desired - I could look for them - or reach out to local colleagues in order to find them.

Thanks.

Great offer, Humanitaria in Las Terrenas will appreciate any donations, here is a link: Humanitaria- Las Terrenas, Samana Region D.R.
Always are in need of insulin and other little things we take for granted.
A e-mail at your gmail address was send, with all the contacts e-mails and Tel # from this association.

Thank you for caring,
WebDev

Mar 27, 2006
FANTASTIC!! I also know of two US doctors (husband & wife) who will be in Samana Province next week. They too have a heart for the needy. Please contact them (Francisco & Diane) by email: Francisco@corazondelsiervo.org. I will be hooking up with him on the 29th of Dec. to discuss future humanitarian and other needs in LT when we both return in February. Please send me a follow up e-mail @ dawsoncreeknc@hotmail.com.