Pimp Daddy

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Government giveaways to entice?

Appealing to Dominican women?
President Leonel Fernandez is appealing to Dominican women voters this Christmas. Fernandez, who is expected to seek reelection in 2008, has traditionally garnered the female vote. Now he has announced for Christmas the distribution of 800,000 boxes containing traditional Christmas dinner foodstuffs plus the government will pick up the beauty parlor tab for Dominican women on the 23, 24, 30 and 31 December dates.
As reported in Diario Libre, the program was first implemented by the Department for Community Development (DGDC) on occasion of Mother's Day this year when 226 beauty salons offered discounted hair styling service for only RD$50. :smoke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Has nothing to do with pimping. This is more a political move to consolidate the vote of poor Dominican women. Help them resolve their Christmas meal and throw in their getting a break at a beauty salon. Remember, beauty parlor culture is strong in the DR and it is more than getting your hair fixed -- it is a social and psychological thing, where women get pampered.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep...your hard earned taxes hard at work...for a few...

Amazing! Can you imagine if George Bush went about giving out gift baskets and coupons for hair styling? Maybe he would be more popular...

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
maybe..so that means no gringos have to spend money to get their chica a hairdo for the holidays.

SNOOP DOGGY DOGG LEONEL !!

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
So Close to Venezuela and So "Far" from the United States...

Why not government rebates for breast augmentation? I'm sure Chavez is thinking about it?

-Helpmann :cheeky:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yep...your hard earned taxes hard at work...for a few...

Amazing! Can you imagine if George Bush went about giving out gift baskets and coupons for hair styling? Maybe he would be more popular...

what does this mean, its the DR not the US. Or do you mean this is money borrowed from the US that goes to pay for the salon and food basket??

this has work for years where the Politicians buy the votes by giving out stuff, like mattresses, cooking oil, food baskets, etc.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I agree totally with Dolores. My last couple visits in August and October, I made a fuss to my novia about her trips to the beauty salon and was just about killed. The weekly power wash and nail job at the beauty salon is an important part of Dominican womens culture.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If this mode of operation strikes you as weird or new then you are new to the DR and/or you have not studied the workings within this country.

In a country of such impecunious proportions whereas the poor never seem to benefit from the good that tourism and such ventures bring I feel that what ever items the government does distribute to the poor are a plus.

If you have been around any length of time you will know that LF gives away free food every year. In his prior administration this food was given out every month but came to a screeching halt when the Hippo came to power. I will not debate as to whether these free donations are the proper way for the government to spend our money but in a country where 22 year olds are drawing a 50,000 peso a month retirement check and drug kingpins are allowed out on low bail while having a long prior rap sheet I think this donation is a good thing. If this food and parlor visits should raise the general feelings of the poor Dominicans in this time of supposed enjoyment then this too is a good thing. If it should cause at least one person to avert from an act of crime in order to provide the family a Christmas meal then I think it is a good thing.

Rick

May 12, 2005
I agree totally with Dolores. My last couple visits in August and October, I made a fuss to my novia about her trips to the beauty salon and was just about killed. The weekly power wash and nail job at the beauty salon is an important part of Dominican womens culture.

It's no different with the Domicanas here in NY. Trust me I know. I can't fathom how someone can spend 3 plus hours at the salon. But at least the end result is nice to look at.

CG4522

Dec 19, 2006
Just another example of how screwed up DR politics are.

These paltry handouts the government gives everyone once in a while do almost nothing to actually solve to root causes of poverty and only serve to keep the people happy while the rich continue to live in luxury.

Unfortunately most of the poor women don't realize what is going on or just want the free meal and hairdo.

Frankly they do spend way too much money and time in the salons, but that is Dominican culture for ya.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the womens culture of beautification is the same here in the US, rich and poor. i just thought in a country in the economic condition as DR, i found this amusing.

maybe Leonel should visit the airports and give out free condoms to all gringos. hopefully not those cheap Pante's....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
CG4522 said:
Just another example of how screwed up DR politics are.

These paltry handouts the government gives everyone once in a while do almost nothing to actually solve to root causes of poverty and only serve to keep the people happy while the rich continue to live in luxury.

Unfortunately most of the poor women don't realize what is going on or just want the free meal and hairdo.

Frankly they do spend way too much money and time in the salons, but that is Dominican culture for ya.
I agree, but it's good to know that not all Dominican women are blinded by this BS. From today's Diario Libre:

"Las mujeres merecemos algo m?s que mo?os gratis"

El Colectivo Mujer y Salud expres? preocupaci?n por el programa navide?o de distribuci?n de canastas de alimentos y el arreglo del pelo a las mujeres de manera gratuita lanzado por el Gobierno. "Pensamos que estas acciones de corte meramente populista forman parte de una pol?tica gubernamental que explota la miseria de las mayor?as de este pa?s", indica un comunicado del Colectivo. "Las mujeres merecemos algo m?s que mo?os gratis".

Expresaron que existen problemas m?s importantes que afectan a las dominicanas como la alta tasa de mortalidad materna y de infectadas con el virus VIH, el elevado porcentaje de adolescentes embarazadas y la violencia. La Colectiva demand? del Gobierno una pol?tica responsable que ponga en funcionamiento el Seguro Familiar de Salud, una reforma fiscal integral y justa amparada en un pacto social y que no afecte a los sectores mas empobrecidos de la poblaci?n, y que las mujeres reciban educaci?n sexual.
Translation:
"Women deserve more than free hairdos". (Mo?o literally means 'bun').
The Women's Health Collective is expressing its concern about the government's free Christmas food basket distribution and free hairdo programmes for women. "We think these populist programmes are part of a government policy that exploits the poverty most people in this country live in" said a press release from the Collective. "Women deserve more than free hairdos".

They said that there are bigger problems affecting Dominican women like the high maternal mortality rate and the high rate of HIV infection, the high percentage of teenage pregnancies, and violence. The Collective called for responsible government family health insurance policies, integrated and fair tax reform based on a social pact and that does not affect the country's most impoverished social sectors, and for women to receive sexual education.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
what does this mean, its the DR not the US. Or do you mean this is money borrowed from the US that goes to pay for the salon and food basket??

this has work for years where the Politicians buy the votes by giving out stuff, like mattresses, cooking oil, food baskets, etc.

It means just what I said...The Dominican people's hard earned tax money at work. People down there DO PAY taxes...you know. Has nothing to do with the US.

The bit about George Bush was just a bit of sarcasm at how only in a country like The DR you see stuff like this happen...

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
didn't President Roosevelt do these same similar things during The Great Depression ? some interesting reading would be how the current welfare system in the US came to be out of these "gift giving" programs and how every President from Roosevelt on contributed to such programs...

sounds to me like President Leonel has been doing some research.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
see..

"President distributes Christmas boxes
President Leonel Fernandez has announced that he will personally take part in the distribution of Christmas food boxes. The President said he would start the distribution in Elias Pina, San Cristobal and Bani on Wednesday, moving to Monte Cristi, Dajabon and Santiago Rodriguez provinces on Thursday. The official press release says he will end his route with a distribution in Higuey."

Last edited by a moderator:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Appealing to Dominican women?
President Leonel Fernandez is appealing to Dominican women voters this Christmas. Fernandez, who is expected to seek reelection in 2008, has traditionally garnered the female vote. Now he has announced for Christmas the distribution of 800,000 boxes containing traditional Christmas dinner foodstuffs plus the government will pick up the beauty parlor tab for Dominican women on the 23, 24, 30 and 31 December dates.
As reported in Diario Libre, the program was first implemented by the Department for Community Development (DGDC) on occasion of Mother's Day this year when 226 beauty salons offered discounted hair styling service for only RD$50. :smoke:

A sly tactic on Leonel's part but one that perpetuates the dumbing down of the poor Dominican woman.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Has nothing to do with pimping. This is more a political move to consolidate the vote of poor Dominican women. Help them resolve their Christmas meal and throw in their getting a break at a beauty salon. Remember, beauty parlor culture is strong in the DR and it is more than getting your hair fixed -- it is a social and psychological thing, where women get pampered.

and also where they find out who's sleeping with whom.......