Liquefied Natural Gas transshipments

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What would be the negative implications of an operation of this type. From what I read am not sure they are talking about expanding the AES plant in order to liquefy the gas here or just bringing in the big tankers and then sending out to the US smaller tankers with the LNG.

The operation would take place at the Caucedo port facility.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It would most likely be liquified when it gets here. Those big round things on the tankers are the gas under pressure, but I don't think it would be liquified...

It would make for an interesting scenario, no matter how it gets here. Big boom is a risk, but these folks are really scary safe in handling the stuff...

I wish I knew the physics of LNG....hummmmm off to google...

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It would most likely be liquified when it gets here. Those big round things on the tankers are the gas under pressure, but I don't think it would be liquified...

It would make for an interesting scenario, no matter how it gets here. Big boom is a risk, but these folks are really scary safe in handling the stuff...

I wish I knew the physics of LNG....hummmmm off to google...

HB

Luis

I think LNG is around -300 to -400 degrees Farenheit. very close to Absolute Zero.
It's usually cooled down with LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) before being placed in compartmented containers, LN2 flowed in on top, under pressure, to keep the temperature down and further insulated by enclosing the container in another container filled with LN2.
I can't recall any incidents where an LNG tank has "exploded" anywhere.
'Course I really don't keep up with thenews in thePetroleum Industry all that much.
The transporters go to a great deal of trouble to insure the safe delivery to the final destination. Warm-up is usually a long process.

Texas Bill

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
seems much more safer than oil refineries to me:

In its liquid state, LNG is not explosive. For an explosion to occur with LNG, it must first vaporize and then mix with air in the proper proportions (the explosive range is 5% to 15%), and then be ignited afterwards. Serious accidents involving LNG to date are listed below:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had CNG on my sailboat for one reason: safety. It is lighter than air, so a leak just goes away in a ventilated space. Propane, OTOH, is heavier than air and will seek low areas.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Luis

I can't recall any incidents where an LNG tank has "exploded" anywhere.

Texas Bill
2004, 19 January, Skikda, Algeria. Explosion at Sonatrach LNG liquefaction facility. 27 killed, 80 injured, three LNG trains destroyed, 2004 production was down 76% for the year. A cold hydrocarbon leak occurred introducing the high-pressure steam boiler with gases via a combustion air fan. The explosion inside the boiler fire box precipitated a larger explosion of vapors outside the box.
I guess technically the tank itself didn't explode, just everything around it.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I don't think the plan is to build a liquefaction facility, just a storage facility for transshipment to the US after importing from Qatar.