I met a Dominican guy on Match.com, advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kariAnn

Jun 20, 2006
I met a Dominican guy online and I would like some advice. I am concerned about the sankie/visa issue that plagues this board about relationships with Dominican men. He is a college educated and works a good job making as much money as many of my american friends. He does not work at a resort, he is college educated, he works a very good job at a bank, and he owns his own car and other personal property. He has a good bit of money saved as well. He says he does not want to leave the DR and that he is happy there because he lives very well on his salary and he has a good job that he enjoys.

Anyway, the on negative side, he does not have a visa nor has he ever tried to get a visa. He says he does not want to leave the DR and that he has never wanted a visa....he works for an american bank, and he says that if he wanted a visa, he could get one. He is an amazing guy and we have developed a wonderful friendship/relationship based purely on conversations over the past 6 or 7 months or so. I would like to meet him soon because I feel we could have a future; but I read so much about the Visa issue and that scares me. I feel he is being sincere and that he is a good guy; but everyone on this board says that if a guy does not have a visa, it means he cannot get one...is this true???

Any advice.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I'm Warren Buffett .... believe me!!!!! I don't need a visa (... credit card that is). Don't beleive everything you're told on a personal web site, trust me on this one. :ermm:

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I met a Dominican guy online and I would like some advice. I am concerned about the sankie/visa issue that plagues this board about relationships with Dominican men. He is a college educated and works a good job making as much money as many of my american friends. He does not work at a resort, he is college educated, he works a very good job at a bank, and he owns his own car and other personal property. He has a good bit of money saved as well. He says he does not want to leave the DR and that he is happy there because he lives very well on his salary and he has a good job that he enjoys.

Anyway, the on negative side, he does not have a visa nor has he ever tried to get a visa. He says he does not want to leave the DR and that he has never wanted a visa....he works for an american bank, and he says that if he wanted a visa, he could get one. He is an amazing guy and we have developed a wonderful friendship/relationship based purely on conversations over the past 6 or 7 months or so. I would like to meet him soon because I feel we could have a future; but I read so much about the Visa issue and that scares me. I feel he is being sincere and that he is a good guy; but everyone on this board says that if a guy does not have a visa, it means he cannot get one...is this true???

Any advice.

I don't get it, on your first post you asked about Julio from the animation team in Boca Chica and you didn't meet your friend that you have been chatting with online for the last six months? Why didn't you meet this bank employee on your vacation, if you don't mind me asking?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I feel he is being sincere and that he is a good guy; but everyone on this board says that if a guy does not have a visa, it means he cannot get one...is this true???

Any advice.

Not necessarily true...People here have become so jaded after seeing the Sankie thing so many times...

IMO go ahead and meet him. Follow your heart, but with clear mind...Don't give him any money, etc...If he makes good money then he should pay for everything. If something develops and you guys eventually approach the subject of marriage tell him you'll move down to The DR, since he has no interest in leaving for another country...see how he reacts to that.

In the end even if he's after a visa I honestly don't see what the huge deal would be if you helped him get a visa and then he leaves you after a certain amount of time of him being in The US (I assume is where you're from)...If he at least gives you a couple of years of good sex and happiness isn't that worth a visa? It is in my book...

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Julio from the animation team in Boca Chica and you didn't meet your friend that you have been chatting with online for the last six months? Why didn't you meet this bank employee on your vacation, if you don't mind me asking?
Six months is an eternity when there's no action ... Julio was more than 6 months ago, match.com bank guy is reserved for the next visit ... no hassle DR date/sankie reservation. :bunny:

kariAnn

Jun 20, 2006
Margaret

I met the guy on match.com but we only sent emails back and forth every few weeks at the begining. I did not want to meet him that soon. I met Julio at the resort (WHICH Lasted about 2 days)...

Anyway, this other guy and I have been chatting more and more over the past few months and now I am thinking about meeting him.

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
Not necessarily true...People here have become so jaded after seeing the Sankie thing so many times...

IMO go ahead and meet him. Follow your heart, but with clear mind...Don't give him any money, etc...If he makes good money then he should pay for everything. If something develops and you guys eventually approach the subject of marriage tell him you'll move down to The DR, since he has no interest in leaving for another country...see how he reacts to that.

In the end even if he's after a visa I honestly don't see what the huge deal would be if you helped him get a visa and then he leaves you after a certain amount of time of him being in The US (I assume is where you're from)...If he at least gives you a couple of years of good sex and happiness isn't that worth a visa? It is in my book...
i totally agree

kariAnn

Jun 20, 2006
I met Julio at the resort...asked about him the next week and never talked to him again....I was stupid...I never saw DR1.com...knew nothing about sankies, and you enlightened me...

Anyway, now I need help seeing if this guy is a "GOOD" Dominican. I feel he is, but I like him, I need outside advice.

I do not need people to make fun of me, only advice.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I met Julio at the resort...asked about him the next week and never talked to him again....I was stupid...I never saw DR1.com...knew nothing about sankies, and you enlightened me...

Anyway, now I need help seeing if this guy is a "GOOD" Dominican. I feel he is, but I like him, I need outside advice.

How can you verify anything you're told online? and you're willing to spend money and time to go there? If he has a job, money in the bank and other assets, he may quailfy on his own. And, if he's serious about you, why can't he come to see you? ... toooooo many questions and red flags :rolleyes:

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006

Why do you need people to tell you what you should do? If you think he is worth it go meet him. Don't give him any money, let him make all the arrangements etc... etc... You're going to do what you want any way.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i didn't read any responses to this thread but let me tell you this. he is for real. I know many santiagueros who don't want to go to USA. One guy had a visa and it expired after a few years. He never went. he is not poor either.
This guy seems legit.
AZB

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
No deliveries

Okay, lesson learned about sanky-panky -- good.

Then meet your friend but I think he should come visit you. Don't go to the DR for the purpose of meeting him. I think that's the wrong message to send a man. He should make the first move, get a visa, stay in a hotel and meet. But going to the DR to meet him is like putting on sign on yourself "We do deliveries!)

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
Why do you need people to tell you what you should do? If you think he is worth it go meet him. Don't give him any money, let him make all the arrangements etc... etc... You're going to do what you want any way.
i dont believe the OP was asking what she should do .....her question was ..if he is educated and owns his own property and has money in the bank ..can he get a visa on his own or does he need someone to get one ? was the question

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Invite your friend to visit you. If he really has a good-paying job and owns a property, he may actually get a visitor's visa.

And if he is serious about you, he wouldn't mind to at least try...

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Legal question, yeah right?!

i dont believe the OP was asking what she should do .....her question was ..if he is educated and owns his own property and has money in the bank ..can he get a visa on his own or does he need someone to get one ? was the question

That's your reading of the OPs question. Why name your post: I met a Dominican guy on Match.com, advice needed? and post in the Men from mars section if all you want is advice on visas? ... of course women do the strangest things sometimes... She doesn't want an answer that she can get from US immigration, she wants assurance, confimation that she's on the right road... a future.... with a GOOD one. tlc... never underestimate audrav's ability to read between the lines.

My very first post on "where to dance salsa" was in the Sankie Forum!! That's where I met Annc, Shad and M'frog.... ah memories! :classic: Remember Shad, I made you gold! :cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Keri: Invite him to come to the US. Maybe some place neutral, like Orlando....you could be kids and do Disney together....Even get two rooms..there are plenty of inexpensive places to stay there....

Or NYC, but NOT the Dominican part of upper Manhattan...then he's back on home turf...You get to see how flexible he is...maybe Pennsylvania..out inthe country, duringthe Spring....Quaker country....Amish food and drink...Some place where you can see what sort of a person he really is....

Of course, if he can't get a visa, the forget the whole thing, and write it up to match.com.....

HB wishingyou well...

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I met a Dominican guy............
Any advice.

My best guess is that this kariAnn person is another one of those less than attractive Canadian women who got lucky on their first trip to the DR and wants more. Well babe here is the straight scoop.

This is one smart Dominican you have met online. All that he is telling you could or could not be true, but what difference dose it make? All you want is someone to keep you warm during that brutal Canadian winter, and it seems he is willing. The guy has it made. You come visit, he gets some lovin? and dose not have to freeze his butt off or get a visa.

Congratulations you are one smart woman.

Chuckuindy

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
That's your reading of the OPs question. Why name your post: I met a Dominican guy on Match.com, advice needed? and post in the Men from mars section if all you want is advice on visas? ... of course women do the strangest things sometimes... She doesn't want an answer that she can get from US immigration, she wants assurance, confimation that she's on the right road... a future.... with a GOOD one. tlc... never underestimate audrav's ability to read between the lines.

My very first post on "where to dance salsa" was in the Sankie Forum!! That's where I met Annc, Shad and M'frog.... ah memories! :classic: Remember Shad, I made you gold! :cool:
i just happen to know the OP personally and know why and what she was asking..is all ......i was not underestimating anyone...i happen to know she is very educated beauitiful dominicana...who has a heart of gold is all

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Sorry

i just happen to know the OP personally and know why and what she was asking..is all ......i was not underestimating anyone...i happen to know she is very educated beauitiful dominicana...who has a heart of gold is all

Well sorry for any misunderstanding, I read you the wrong way then. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.