What's Best: Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4?

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
YEARS: 2001-2003

been looking at both to possibly buy either one (in DR) if I'm able to find one at a good price and with good conditions.

both crv/rav are small suv reliable, durable.
i know the crv has a 2.4L engine vs rav4 2.0 and crv is 12" longer, bigger
trunk for that matter. and crv has 160 ponies vs rav4 148

both show either 23/28, 24/29 mpg

but there must be other differences that people might dislike/like one vs the other.

would like to read what people have to say about each... the pros & cons of each.

thnx.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Both good cars. honda has the advantage on paper. Pick the one you like.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would personally go with a RAV4. Just finding a good one might not be that easy. I tried a couple of years ago and I looked at 6 (2001-2002) of them and all of them had problems, mainly chopped.

Make sure you run the VIN number via Carfax and check for overspray (accident), rusty seat mounts (flooding) and all the usual tell tale signs of a wreck being re-built.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I rent CR-V's while in the DR. Good vehicles. Tough, well made, decent size for narrow/crowded roads, cheap on gas, All Wheel Drive.

RAV4's would be a good choice, too, but I've never driven one.

May 12, 2005
I suggest a Hummer H2. This way you'll be the biggest baddest jeepeta on the road. Hitting a motoconcho will feel only like a small speed bump, lol

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
I've had both; both purchased new. The interiors had no distinguishable differences and both drove well. For me personally, I had less mechanical problems with the CRV but overall both are excellent well made vehicles.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The CRV hands down...This is coming from someone who knows a thing or two about this since that's our business in The DR.

There are many distinguishable features between the CRV and the RAV4. The interior of the CRV is very well designed, as a result you get a lot more usable space and features that only now certain vehicles are starting to come out with, such as the folding small table in the middle, the also folding picnic table that comes with it, etc.

As already mentioned the CRV has a little bit longer wheelbase. Get the AWD if you can...it helps a lot on slippery wet roads.

In terms of quality wise they are about par (both very solid performers). Looks are subjective and I myself think the CRV has better looks and can be better accessorized.

Toyota's RAV4 lacks in cupholders (which I find annoying), feels more cramped, much smaller mirrors. Little details, but things that make a difference in my book.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CRVs seem to hold up well in the central part of the country...

Honda's seem to have better resale value, although both are at the higher end of the scale.....better than Nissan or Mitsubishi or Izuzu or anything else....

HB

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
thnx all for all of your sound advice. It seems crv has the edge b/w the two.
I hope i can find a good conditioned crv (or rav4 at least) and at a reasonable price.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
thnx all for all of your sound advice. It seems crv has the edge b/w the two.
I hope i can find a good conditioned crv (or rav4 at least) and at a reasonable price.
Go look in the DR1 classifieds. There are tons for sale.