Santo Domingo to Boca Chica for day trip

ll2345

Dec 26, 2006
I will be staying at the Intercontinental Weds-Monday, and am trying to find out the best way to get from our hotel to Boca Chica beach for the day. Speak limited spanish, and I hear the taxi there will be easy but getting back may not. How can you hire a driver to come back for you around 5pm? Or, is it easy enough to get a cab at the Hamaca that is reliable?

The Hamaca resort also has day passes for $55/person...is this recommended?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
The day pass is recommended by me. I believe the day pass is about $10 cheaper though. You can get a cab at the Hamaca at any time.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
How can you hire a driver to come back for you around 5pm? Or, is it easy enough to get a cab at the Hamaca that is reliable?
You will have no problem getting a cab from the Hamaca at 5pm (or just about any other time).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
A taxi to Boca Chica will probably be $30 USD each way. You might want to consider renting a car for the day. The drive is fairly simple.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I dont recommend renting a car for the day! sure..the highway from S.D to B.C. isnt all that crazy...but driving in the capitol sure is!!

I ususaly take the guagua too/from the capitol to B.C. Getting to the guagua station is easy while in SD...just ask the hotel for a taxi to take you there (200 pesos tops). The trick is knowing where to get off when you are going back into the city. Just ask for someone to let you know when you get to parque indepencia....then you can find a legit taxi on el conde to take you to your hotel.

A travel buddy of mine was paying 20 USD each way last february from the Cap to BC...if there are a few of you then that isnt too bad.

Not sure what you get for 55 at hamaca tho. I'd rather haggle and rent chairs and a table on the public beach. Head away from hamaca...and check out the few sets of chairs/tables before you get to the end near the parking lot.

Costalunga Beach Club is good for a newbie (they have green and white umbrellas)...just ask the day rate for chair rentals before you sit. (100-200 pesos a day...depending how good you are). Dont buy your lunch on the beach (cept maybe a fruit plate) as you will be over charged. But you can take a 2 min walk to duarte and either buy sandwiches, pizza or chicken...and either eat it there or take it back to the beach. You can also buy and bring your own drinks from the market.

If you are traveling in a small group..you can bypass the chair rentals and just bring a large blanket and bring all your own stuff. Just have one person at the blanket to watch over things while you are swimming etc. (or befriend other tourists to watch your stuff)

The only thing you get at hamaca is NO beach vendors...but they leave you alone after you show no interest after the first hour.

I just think the people watching on the main beach is much more interesting that what you will find at hamaca.

Now...if you WANT that AI feel...no problem then...pay the 55 and you are set.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Costalunga Beach Club is good for a newbie (they have green and white umbrellas)...just ask the day rate for chair rentals before you sit. (100-200 pesos a day...depending how good you are).

jrzyguy is this the going rate to rent one chair? Could you post the rates for lounge chair and/or plastic table and chairs.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well..on my last trip...two of us payed 150 PP for two chairs and a table.

I have never asked here on DR1 what the rate should be...but that didnt seem all that much to pay. I am sure if one is going to buy food and drinks from the beach vendor..you can get the fee reduced...The total tab for two...including at least a couple of presidente grandes and one fruit plate...came to about 400-500. This is an all day rate from about 11 am till about 5pm.

I think costalunga will ask for 200 fee for the day...but talk to the guys next to them..and then they will come down in price.

****e..i dont haggle much over 50 pesos tho when on vacation lol!

but as a warning to newbies...i had a friend of mine sit at a table and ordered two presidentes and only stayed for the one round of drinks (2 presidente's)...and they tried to charge him 400 pesos....(chair fee's of course). I cussed the guy out and explained that he was just waiting for me etc.

To the OP...most of the beach chair vendors speak some english...so you dont have to worry too much about haggeling. Just walk up and down the beach one or two times...find out the prices...and someone will budge.

Last edited:

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
For the most part the beach chairs are set out by the restaurants. Just give them some of your patronage, that will be enough. In 8-10 years I've never paid for a chair on the beach.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
well..on my last trip...two of us payed 150 PP for two chairs and a table.

I have never asked here on DR1 what the rate should be...but that didnt seem all that much to pay. I am sure if one is going to buy food and drinks from the beach vendor..you can get the fee reduced...The total tab for two...including at least a couple of presidente grandes and one fruit plate...came to about 400-500. This is an all day rate from about 11 am till about 5pm.

I think costalunga will ask for 200 fee for the day...but talk to the guys next to them..and then they will come down in price.

****e..i dont haggle much over 50 pesos tho when on vacation lol!

but as a warning to newbies...i had a friend of mine sit at a table and ordered two presidentes and only stayed for the one round of drinks (2 presidente's)...and they tried to charge him 400 pesos....(chair fee's of course). I cussed the guy out and explained that he was just waiting for me etc.

To the OP...most of the beach chair vendors speak some english...so you dont have to worry too much about haggeling. Just walk up and down the beach one or two times...find out the prices...and someone will budge.

Avoid all of this fee paying and do as the locals..Walk down the beach towards the Andres/Boca Chica area..About 200 yards to your west ..Pick a table and chair and sit free...That is the area you can see with all the tents set up on the beach....Now I knew you already knew this..You just was waiting to see if someone else did...Well the secret is out ..Tell those clowns on BC beach to shove their tables and chairs and do as I suggested.....

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
thanks zak as i will be in BC in about 2 weeks at the El Candil. i stayed at the Hamaca the first time so this will be my first go around with the locals in BC. any other info about BC would be greatly appreciated.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Avoid all of this fee paying and do as the locals..Walk down the beach towards the Andres/Boca Chica area..About 200 yards to your west ..Pick a table and chair and sit free...That is the area you can see with all the tents set up on the beach....Now I knew you already knew this..You just was waiting to see if someone else did...Well the secret is out ..Tell those clowns on BC beach to shove their tables and chairs and do as I suggested.....

Unfortunately...that stretch of beach (while nice and quiet) is unkept and rather dirty. Sooo...i personaly dont mind paying 150 pesos (approx 5 usd) for a chair rental on the main beach (again...with the vendors furtherst away from hamaca) and knowing the guyz will watch my stuff (even tho i dont bring obvious valuables with me).

It is a vacation after all.

As far as buying food from the establishments right on the beach. The prices are at least twice as what you will pay at any of the restaraunts around duarte...and not very good. For lunch i WILL pay for a fruit plate on the beach...and if i do get really hungry i will walk to duarte and grab a slice of pizza or a couple of pieces of fried chicken (only when it is fresh) from the chinese place (both 70 pesos) vs 500 pesos for bad chicherones on the beach. I usualy need a break from the sun around 3pm...so a 2 min walk to duarte for food works for me.

if you DO decide to sit at a chair/table on the main beach...and order food etc from them...be sure to clarify that there will be no fee for the chair!!!! i am sure if you pay 1000+ pesos for food and drink they will wave the chair fee

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Playa Vista Beach Bar (They Have a Blog on DR1!)

Rent chairs from Peter, one of the owners of Playa Vista. The tourists and the Dominicans rent from him. He's a Brit and is very straight-up when it comes to price. Nevertheless, the service at Playa Vista has slowed down a bit since the departure of Flaco.

BTW: I'll be in Boca Chica around the same time. If you want to get some drinks, send me a PM.

-Helpmann :)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Caro

OP plan for a day at the beach sounds pretty pricy to me. Prob. $30 out and $30 back plus $45 (I think for the day pass). Not worth it in my opinion.
The bus to the bus station is right down the corner of Hamaca. So for about $4.00 you can travel to and from.
Park yourself near the wall of the Hamaca on the public beach and save the $45. Besides, how long does anyone want to stay on the beach?
Not me for $75 bux.
When dopey the guard falls asleep with his water pistol in hand swim around to the Hamaca side--have an adventure-not just a day at the beach.,
john

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Until the Sun Sets...

Besides, how long does anyone want to stay on the beach?
On a Sunday... until the sun sets.

If you're coming from SD, take a morning bus and stay the day. Find a $30US hotel and return the next day by bus.

-Helpmann :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Probably the best and most enjoyable way to enjoy Boca Chica for a day.

I gotta TOTALY agree!!!

I am sure intercontinental can arrange a safe taxi to the bus station in S.D. The guagua (bus) will drop you two blocks from the beach. From there you can follow all our advise about dealing with the chair vendors and where to get some lunch.

There are pleanty of nice hotels in the 30-40 dollar range...that way you can relax after the beach..shower and grab something to eat at fernando's or one of the other resonably priced restaurants.

THen take the guagua back in the morning.

The OP stated that they DO speak some limited spanish. All you have to know is the price of the guagua (i think it was 35 pesos last year). Going back to S.D. you get a free shuttle that brings you to a transfer on the highway. THen...the only tricky part is knowing where to get off when you are in the capitol. Just ask someone to let you know when you are at parque indepencia. From there..find El Conde....and find a legit taxi stand and pay 100...maybe 200 to get back to your hotel.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
There are plenty of nice hotels in the 30-40 dollar range...that way you can relax after the beach..shower and grab something to eat at fernando's or one of the other resonably priced restaurants.

Also east of Hotel Europa on Calle Duarte is a one-block section of some very nice restaurants. I usually just pick the one with the prettiest tablecloths LOL. Seriously though they are all very good.

I can't recall the name but the restaurant on the beach where the waitresses wear sailor uniforms is very nice. Grab a table and chair on the sand with the ocean ten feet away.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Isla Bonita

I can't recall the name but the restaurant on the beach where the waitresses wear sailor uniforms is very nice. Grab a table and chair on the sand with the ocean ten feet away.
Isla Bonita

Waitresses:
Ruth (huge ta-tas)
Lourdes (older but friendly)
Nairobi (young, dark, and thin)

Sit at the bar and have Ruth grind the limes for your Caipirinha. It's an experience.

-Helpmann ;)

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Don't forget they also have night swimming with a powerful flood light illuminating the water till closing time..Was there recently and enjoyed it.Although only the locals were seen in the water after dark...The tourists must be scared...Too many big fish movies I guess....