can a US doctors prescription get filled in the DR

Sep 19, 2005
Id like to know...if anyone does know!!....if a prescription written by your american doctor be filled in the DR while on vacation?

will the pharmacists fill it , if he understands the english....is he allowed by law( technically)....some prescriptions have limitation from insuarance companies in america...but the DR has cheaper drugs.... and if you have a "valid "prescription no one can hassle you at customs or the airport........

thanks

bob

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Most drugs are available over the counter without a prescription.
Post the drug name here and I'm sure someone will post back on availability and price.

Sep 19, 2005
it is a generic ( no pun)question.....here, depending on the health insurance carrier, a drug plan may limit your medicines available per month or per year. Plus some are super super exspensive...while others are not covered at all....

while the doctor would readily supply needed prescriptions....that the insurance carrier wont reimburse you for, or cover.

So if a person knew they could get that drug in the DR. he would still have to worry about getting it legally back into america..

That would be solved if the person had a valid prescription.....the american authorities would look for a prescription with your name and doctor and the medicine prescribed.....you would have all that covered

if you didnt have the prescription from an american doctor....the US authorities would confiscate the drug.....right?

bob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can show the farmacia the prescription or tell them the meds you want. If it isn't on the narcotics list, you will get it with or without the prescription. If it is on the narcotics list, a prescription from a US doctor will not be filled.

Bob, my wife and I have gone back and forth to the US carrying meds various times. Nobody takes any interest in either country.

Sep 19, 2005
You can show the farmacia the prescription or tell them the meds you want. If it isn't on the narcotics list, you will get it with or without the prescription. If it is on the narcotics list, a prescription from a US doctor will not be filled.

Bob, my wife and I have gone back and forth to the US carrying meds various times. Nobody takes any interest in either country.

Thats a gamble that didnt pay off for Rush Limbuagh.....

plus it is good to know what the real story is period.....

Bob

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
Medication

As a matter of interest. I have kidney and blood pressure problems and have to take 19 tablets a day. For the past 4 years I have travelled 3 or 4 times a year to DR from the UK sometimes via Amsterdam. I always carry my medication in my flight bag (when I stay for a few months it fills it) When it is x rayed I explain its my medication and only once to date have they looked at my repeat prescription forms. Thats my experience so far, because of the quantity I have to carry I half expect them to accuse me of drug dealing but once they checked my Doctors Prescription there was no problem.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Xanax

I have been on this for 7+ years..Where can I get this? Preferable an SD pharmacy..Also know as ALPRAZOLAM the generic name and is just as good..1 mg.tabs..the blue ones shaped like a football..Anybody ????

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
If in doubt bring your prescription(s) with you and go to a Dominican Dr., pay a few dollars consultation fee and off you go.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Alprazolam is a benzodiazepine, with a high abuse potential, and thus considered a regulated CDS in most countries, as it is in the DR. Small amounts in your properly labeled (with recent date, your name and your doctor's) prescription bottle would clear any international airport. If you got them legally from a doctor in your original jursidiction you should run into no problems anywhere you go.

zak023, I'm sure that your doctor has explained that in the situation described by you of long term daily use of the this stuff can cause a rather nasty and dangerous clinical withdrawal syndrome if discontinued abruptly. So whatever you do, don''t stop them without proper medical supervision. If you wish to to stay in the country for a longer season and obtain them in the DR you may need a local evaluation and prescription by a locally licensed physician. Some pharmacies may sell it to you once without the script and look the other way, but none of the reputable ones would.

- Tordok