Advice Punta Cana to ferry

Maxine

Dec 27, 2006
Does anyone know the best way to get from the Punta Cana airport to the ferry crossing? Also-are there any hotel recommendations at the ferry crossing in case we can't make the ferry in time??????

Maxine

Dec 27, 2006
Oops

I need the ferry at Sabana de la mar that goes across Samana Bay to Samana. (My borther is meeting us there-he has a place near Las Terrenas but has never taken this route.)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Drive to Higuey, then to El Seybo, then to Miches and Sabana de la Mar. There is a nice place at/near Sabana de la Mar called Ca?a Hondo which has been highly recommended.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
I thought the ferry to Samana sunk a few years ago. Someone please confirm.

fyi - the Las Americas to Samana highway is moving along. Cleared, flattened dirt into Monte Plata - almost to Pueble Nuevo, mas o menos. We had a great ride from near Taloa to Boca Chica.

Maxine

Dec 27, 2006
ferry

My brother tells me the ferry is still in operation but it is for foot traffic only-No cars etc.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The folowing is an answer PJT made to a post in 2002. Note: not much has changed other than a possible increase of fares and departure times for the ferry and/or change of operators. Road infrastructure has not changed much, other than the exception of some road (improvement) work being performed from Hato Major to Sabana del Mar. The journey was Punta Cana-Higuey-El Seibo-Hato Major-Sabana del Mar.

2002 Post:
" PJT did some personal on the road investigation today, Sunday, about the option of traveling from Higuey to Sabana de La Mar in order to ferry across the bay to Samana. The distance give or take is 70 miles or 113 km. [add 30 miles or 48 km from Punta Cana] Travel time is 2 to 2.5 hrs via El Seybo and Hato Major [add 45 min from Punta Cana].

Upon arrival in Sabana de La Mar just continue straight on the road to its end and you will end up at the boat dock. There are two businesses operating cross bay transport service and you will obviously see the auto ferry, the Elupina Uno, but don?t be fooled, the ferry you want is the small passenger boat, 35?, at the very end of the dock.

The Elupina Uno is an investment for the future? It would be operating a full passenger and vehicle schedule right now except for the lack of a ramp to offload passenger vehicles at Samana from what I am told by the pier huggers at Sabana de La Mar. PJT remembers seeing an unfinished dock in Samana last year. I guess things have not progressed. This ferry will only take large passenger groups across. Don?t ask, only the owner knows what a large group is. PJT was told the owner is this vessel is the owner of Paraiso Ca?o Hondo, something having to do with the Los Haitises, national park tours. Tel. (809) 248-5995, website: www.paraisocanohondo.com ,
email: canohondo@codetel.net.do

Now to the other passenger ferry. It services about 35 passengers at a time. The cost to cross the bay is 100 Pesos and travel time is about an hour. Departure times from Sabana de La Mar are 9am, 11am, 3pm, and 5pm. Departure times from Samana are 8am, 10am, 2pm, and 4pm. The company name is: Transporte Mike, en Samana, and the owner answers by the name of LALO and can be reached on Cellular. 269-2535

PJT is not even going to hazard a guess about the buses. The only local services you get are the gua-guas Higuey-El Seybo-Hato Major-Sabana de La Mar. The logistics are: when they are there, take them; if not, wait. If you don't want to wait, take a taxi.

The taxi rate from Punta Cana to Sabana de La Mar is about US$ 120 one way, from Higuey it will be cheaper. Note: rates can be bargained.

Regards,
PJT "

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The roads from Higuey to El Seybo are in good condition and have been repaved in the last 2 years. Once in El Seybo you have 2 choices, you can turn and take the route to Miches which requires a left turn when you reach Miches to continue on or you can go through El Seybo to Hato Mayor and take the route to Sabana de La Mar. If you are looking for scenic routes I would suggest going through Miches.

Rick