US/Dominican Citizen with Colombian spouse

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
I was born in the DR and became a naturalized US citizen through my dad. I left the DR when I was barely 9 years old so I never did get to obtain a "c?dula", (although I did get a dominican passport back then in order to leave the country) and I have been residing in the US since 1977, but didn't stay for good til 1983. I have a copy of my original birth and baptismal certificates as well as copies of grammar school records.
I am now married to a colombian national who I would like to help obtain dominican citizenship in order to circumvent the hassles involved with entering/leaving the country and all the other whatnots posted throughout the forum. 1) how difficult of a process will this be? 2) what steps are actually required in order to get this done?
I'm a little apprehensive to have to travel down there and quite frankly I'd rather try and see if I can get it all done stateside instead.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I was born in the DR and became a naturalized US citizen through my dad. I left the DR when I was barely 9 years old so I never did get to obtain a "c?dula", (although I did get a dominican passport back then in order to leave the country) and I have been residing in the US since 1977, but didn't stay for good til 1983. I have a copy of my original birth and baptismal certificates as well as copies of grammar school records.
I am now married to a colombian national who I would like to help obtain dominican citizenship in order to circumvent the hassles involved with entering/leaving the country and all the other whatnots posted throughout the forum. 1) how difficult of a process will this be? 2) what steps are actually required in order to get this done?
I'm a little apprehensive to have to travel down there and quite frankly I'd rather try and see if I can get it all done stateside instead.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Very easy! just go with your birth certificate to the c?dula office (Junta Central Electoral), and they will issue you a c?dula immediately. With the c?dula then you can go and apply for a passport. However, your old birth certificate won't do, since birth certificates (for documentation purposes) expire in 6 months, and you need to obtain a new one for a modicum of 200 pesos. No problema, you go with your birth certificate to the Oficial?a Civil where it was issued, pay 200 pesos, and you get issued another one, almost immediately. Well, not almost, but this can also be arranged with the payment of a gratuity, to expedite things.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Once you get your Dominican cedula then your wife has to begin the process to apply for Dominican citizenship. Do a search on this board for more information on the procedure.

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Very easy! just go with your birth certificate to the c?dula office (Junta Central Electoral), and they will issue you a c?dula immediately. With the c?dula then you can go and apply for a passport. However, your old birth certificate won't do, since birth certificates (for documentation purposes) expire in 6 months, and you need to obtain a new one for a modicum of 200 pesos. No problema, you go with your birth certificate to the Oficial?a Civil where it was issued, pay 200 pesos, and you get issued another one, almost immediately. Well, not almost, but this can also be arranged with the payment of a gratuity, to expedite things.

Just out of curiosity, why would I need to apply for a passport? Are you referring to a dominican passport? Shouldn't my "c?dula" suffice? Only passport I ever use is my US passport. My dominican passport expired ages ago (it's pro'lly pink by now). LOL!