Travelers Checks

bbgamer

Dec 27, 2006
Can you pay the hotel in travelers checks if you booked directly with the hotel. I was quoted in US Dollars and wanted to take the exact amount in travelers checks to pay for my stay. I do not believe that any exchange into Peso's is necessary if I have US dollars in checks. Is that correct? Thanks

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Some hotels will make a face that they get a service charge from their bank, other hotels will just take them! It is really best you get the hotel's policy via e mail and print it out for future reference.

tambo'

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"... take the exact amount in travelers checks to pay for my stay. "
It might be difficult to get it spot on. Why the exactamount?

"I do not believe that any exchange into Peso's is necessary if I have US dollars in checks. Is that correct?"
You will need some cash at some time though -- USD and/or RDP -- unless you're planning on never leaving the hotel gates.

bbgamer

Dec 27, 2006
I want to pay the hotel bill in full with travelers checks, I know that amount for 8 nights. Any extras I would pay with cash or credit card. When the bill is large the extra charges that the credit card companies charge is 3 to 5% on top of that for conversions. That can add up to a large amount when you are paying for a hotel room.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I want to pay the hotel bill in full with traveler?s checks,

As previously mentioned get an email confirmation that the hotel will accept Travelers Checks. Print the email and bring it with you. I have used Travelers Checks at some hotels with no problems. Once a hotel refused to accept them. Their explanation was a third party does the booking. I produced a copy of the email stating the hotel will accept traveler?s checks. Well they finally agreed to take the checks. Two days later they requested that I accompany them to the bank to cash the checks. The bank has a policy that the owner must present a passport to cash the checks.

So all totaled I wasted two hours of my time cashing the checks. No problem though, I got even. I ran up a bar tab of about $30 USD and upon checking out I refused to pay the bill for pain and suffering inflicted by the hotel?s poor policy of handling travelers checks. We fought tooth and nail but I came out victorious.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Get a Life - Nothing helpful to post? Don't post!

I thought you PRE-PAY for your hotels?
Which story is true?

I love reading good fiction before lunch.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/57642-checking-into-hotel.html?highlight=prepay

When will you learn to read and save your arrogant reply until you understand the post? I prepay with travelers checks at some hotels, some I prepay with cash, and some I prepay with CC. Prepay means to pay before you enter the room. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
do you get taxed if you use T.C's? i know if you pay cash you can avoid taxes....does that work with travelers checks?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
do you get taxed if you use T.C's? i know if you pay cash you can avoid taxes....does that work with travelers checks?

I have used TC's on maybe six of my trips and they were treated the same as cash with the exception of the one hotel problem in BC. jrzyguy I think you know which hotel I had the problem with, it was not your favorite spot.