Time line for sponsering husband to Canada

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Just wondering if anyone can give me ideas.....? Not sure if this is the right place for this post...
My husband and i have been married for a year and half. I'm Canadian, and he is Dominican. He is living down there and i'm living in Canada. We put in his immigration paper work in October and it is now in Haiti. We applied for a visitors visa back in June and of course it was denied for a list of reasons that didn't make sense. I just found out that I'm pregnant with our first child. We are both very excited. However, the distance between is still our biggest challenge. Will the government speed up the process if they know i'm pregnant or will they not care?! I know i can apply for another visitors visa with which he could come for up to 6 months. Thats what we want to do. I'd like to get him here maybe in February or march for six months so he'll be here when the baby is born in August. Is there much hope of that? As a last resort i'd look into getting an immigration lawyer to help us get him a visitors visa, but don't want to pay for then $1000. Any info that anyone may have, i'd be very grateful!!!!
Thanks so much.

flordeluz

Jan 10, 2003
dchenriquez

I'm not sure where you live. I know you say you are canadian but are you residing in Canada or someplace else? If you live in US I know the "politic" of an issue like this would be to contact your local senator or congressman and explain the situation. They can sometimes speed things up for you if you explain how it will affect you if your husband is not with you at the time of birth and why you need him here for the baby's birth. I did this when I got pregnant. I was desperate at the time because I didn't want to be alone when the time came to have the baby. I wanted the support. So one of my congressman sped things up really fast for me (the interview). We had to rush at the last minute to get everything ready. I'm not sure how politics run in Canada if that's where you live. Try to find out if they have some influence over the canadian consulate in the country where your husband is.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Pregnancy will not help your case. And applying for a visitors visa is most likely a waste of time and money. They mostly get declined. What does your husband to for a living?

I dont' know if an immigration lawyer will help much. Trina: your thoughts honey, you are more the expert it seems......

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If everything goes well and your application is now in Haiti there's a good chance he might get his permanent residency by August. Don't waste your time and money getting him here as a visitor while the application is already in for a PR. It won't happen.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Perhaps some of you may have misunderstood my question. I'm not asking for a timeline as to when my husbands papers may get approved. I already have the information regarding that. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a personal expeierence or knows someone that has had one in a similar situation to mine. There is not an option of me sitting here alone for the next nine months waiting for my baby to be born without my husband. And i'm not willing on taking the chance that he may not. We're hoping that he will be approved by June/July but thats just our personal dreams. Nothing to back it up. So, no one seems to have any advice except for don't waste my whole $75 on a visitors visa application because it will probably be denied? Thats it? So, sounds like the only way that we'll be able to be together is if i go live down there until his papers are processed?
I'm living in Canada in answer to an earlier post. Any more ideas from anyone with expierence would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
You can try contacting your MP (Member of Parliament) and see if he/she can be of any help to your situation. My husband and I are also in the process of getting him to Canada and I completely understand your frustration and anxiety. Unfortunately, the system is how it is and the chances of speeding up the process is unlikely, regardless of a baby on the way. If it were the contrary, don't you think there would be more women getting pregnant just so they can expedite the immigration process?

I do suggest though that you call your MP and see what help he/she can offer. It's a very long shot but I guess at this point you might as well try all your options. Maybe you can find an MP like this guy and who knows. Bob Mills, Member of Parliament - Immigration help for our community.

Your only other option may be to move to the DR if you really want to be with your husband throughout your pregnancy. Just don't stress too much...think about the baby. I know it's a long process and there are a lot sacrifices you gotta make but like everyone keeps telling me, your husband will get here...

Good luck and I wish you the best.

Wendy

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Thanks Wendy,

Before I submitted my husbands paperwork I went to my local MP and asked if they could help. They told me that there is absolutly nothing they can do. So thats a dead end. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think we're gonna try for a visitors visa once again. If we're given a no, we are going to see if we can go for an interview. We have to try something. As a last resort i will move down there, but would rather stay here close to friends and family who would also like to share in this special time.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I had a friend who applied, he is Dominican, and his wife is Cdn. She was pregnate, and they advised Haiti (where they papers were at the time) and it did not make any difference. He missed the birth of his son, and arrived 4 months after the fact.

Immigration does not care one way or another if and when your husband comes to Cda. And if there is a child on the way, makes no difference to them. All you can do is show documentation, and prove your relationship is real and on going and valid. That is all they care about.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but unfortunatley that is the reality of it.

Good Luck

Lisa

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It won't hurt to let Haiti know. It may not make a difference, but, who knows, it very well could. No two applications are the same so you cannot go by the experiences of others. Cover all your bases with immigration. I wouldn't waste any more money on the TRV, its very unlikely to happen.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
We applied for a visitors visa back in June and of course it was denied for a list of reasons that didn't make sense.

Why would you waste your time and efforts in re-applying for a visitors visa when the first one was denied? What reasons were given for the denial of the visa? If you made a list of the reasons - and nothing has changed in regards to them, then they are not going to grant a visa the second time around, they will most likely list the same reasons again, right??????????

Marlie

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Immigration to Canada - is he coming?

So as i've stated before i'm in the wait for my husbands immigration papers to be processed. We submitted them to Toronto in October. My husband received a call from the Embassy today in Santo Domingo to say that he had to go and pick up some papers. So he went and got them and it was a copy of page 1 of Schedule 1 (from his application) that said he needed to correctly answer question 9. Question 9 asks if you've applied for a visitors visa in the past and been denied. Well, he answered no by mistake. He had applied a few months before we sent in our immigration papers. So his letter states that he needs to correctly answer this question and submit the correction along with his passport within 19 days or he will be denied. So, if they want his passport does that mean that it is so they can issue him a visa?? I'm just wondering from those who have past expierence. Is there any reason they would want his passport just to look at it for some reason? Im afraid to get excited incase its not to issue him a visa. Any opinions??? Thanks

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
So, if they want his passport does that mean that it is so they can issue him a visa?? I'm just wondering from those who have past expierence. Is there any reason they would want his passport just to look at it for some reason? Im afraid to get excited incase its not to issue him a visa. Any opinions??? Thanks

Hello there...
If they want his passport, its most likely to put the visa inside it..
So once he hands that all in you should get a call or email or letter for him to get his passport back at the embassy within 3weeks..

Goodluck...

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Thanks. i'm truely hoping thats what it is for. He took his passport on Tuesday to Santo domingo with the paper, but of course no one could tell him anything. So i hope we hear something within 3 weeks or so. Thats what i was thinking too. I'm just soo afraid to get excited in case its a false alarm. If all goes well and it is for a visa it looks like he just might make it before i give birth in August!!!! That would be fantastic =)

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Congratulations.. and GOODLUCK )

My husband just arrived 10 days ago.. and the first week we had nice hot hot weather like 29 degreesC.. and the two days ago..
we had SNOW.. 2inchs of SNOW fell in North Bay.. and it was so funny he toook pictures and a video.. and he threw his first snow ball.. AT ME...
I know its june and we had snow..
but he is enjoying.. he is just not eating too healthy.. cause he really loves his food and flavors we cooked with in Dominican.. and here its not the same..

GOODLUCK again..

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Well, i just checked the website today and it says Decision Made, but we're yet to hear anything from the Embassy. They already have my husbands passport, so I suspect he'll just have to go to Santo Domingo and pick it up. Unless they request an interview. Who knows!!! So, very excited. Looks like he will make it for the baby after all!!! Only 8 weeks left. =)

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Permanent Resident in Canada - U.S visitors visa?

hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any expierence applying for a visitors visa for the U.S for a Dominican Citizen that is a P.R in Canada??
Is it hard to get approved? How long does the process take? And is it possible to get a multiple entry visa?
Thanks for your help!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
After sponsoring your husband here from the DR, it's a piece of cake :)!!

My husband obtained a U.S. Visitor's Visa for 10 years this past April. He had been in Canada already for a year and a half when he applied. We know a few people who applied within a few months of arriving in Canada as a permanent resident and they were denied. They tried again a year or so later and were also able to obtain a 10 year Visa. I think if someone applies too soon after arriving in Canada, the U.S. Immigration people think that a Dominican might be using Canada as a stepping stone to enter the U.S. and stay there? However, if you have a wedding or some important event or reason for travelling to the U.S. soon after your husband is in Canada, I would apply anyway and if he is denied, just do it again a year or so later once he is more established.

Anyway, here is the link for the website where you book an interview on-line: AMCITS • Toronto • U.S. Consular Services in Canada. The waiting time is about three months (or it was when my husband applied in Toronto) and then you just make sure you fill out all the paperwork completely. Once you make the appointment on-line, there will be a profile page with links to all the necessary papers to fill out. Some have very similar questions to those on the Canadian immigration papers so get those out and just copy the same info (i.e. family info, work history, etc.).

On the day of the appointment, I also think it helps to go with your husband. I did and I think it helped as the woman doing the interview basically asked questions that either of us could answer (do we down or rent a house, where does my husband work, etc.)

Good luck.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Thanks so much for all the info. Are the appointments usually available very quickly or do you have to wait months for one? Just wondering so i know how far in advance to apply before we want to go. Did you have to specify that you wanted a multi entry (10 year visa) or did they just give you that?
Thanks so much